Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Leecifer OP
Just like to ride

Oddometer: 91
Wicked Bringin' up the rear in Death Valley '09

Bringin’ up the rear (so to speak) in Death Valley 2009

So here’s the Trip Planning link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422118

This is my first RR, so have patience with me, please. I’m writing it up in word and transferring it over, hope it turns out right. I did read the RR rulz, and felt the first day of the trip added to the whole experience. Hope nobody minds.

Kauf270, and anybody else: feel free to add as you see fit. I’ll try to do this one day at a time to give anyone else who went along to add pictures.

Two groups, one of two (these boys left early) and one of three traveling in the “shaggin’ wagon”, the “stabbin’ wagon”, or the “raper van”, as wickit’s wife calls it.

We trailered our bikes 1100 miles from Washington to Beatty, NV on Wednesday, 17-18 hours down, and be riding Thursday, Friday and Saturday, leaving Saturday night.

I’m not much of a writer, so I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.

Pre-trip packing:

Got the flat tire out of the way early, even before we left.

Packed trailer bearings, and picked up new seals, just in case.

Supplies? Check.

Packing up:

“Can I get some help here? Put your f’n crutch down and help.”

For those who don’t know, Wickit went for a “test ride” four or five days before we were to leave and blew out his ACL. He’s um… accident prone. I guess that happens when you hang it out a little. Gotta give him credit though, he nutted up and went. That probably had a little to do with the threat of the purchase of bonnet and apron if he stayed home.

Can’t get the key out of the roof box? No problem.

Drag chain too long? No problem.

Bike #1, Wickit’s got a 3.3 gal Acerbis tank, and will be putting in a gallon of fuel in antifreeze jugs inside each side bag.

Bike #2, my John Deere:

FF Wickit only took this picture because he thought I’d dump it riding it up the ramp onto the trailer. FYYMFF.

Bike #3, K’s KTM: This thing is like pushing a bicycle compared to my KLR.

Check out his Teraflex rear, it’s freaking huge!:

Damn near all loaded up and ready to go and the UPS man shows up with the package K’s been waiting for:

He’s one happy man. “Suhweeeet”

NOW we’re ready.

Bringin' up the rear in Death Valley
Leecifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Leecifer OP
Just like to ride

Here we go…

Fuel stop.

Bearings hot? Tires OK?

Had some weather on the way, over the Blue Mountains:

All was going fine until about here:

The road went from slush to a sheet of ice. At one point we’re doing 3 or 4 mph on a “supered” corner, one of those tilted freeway curves, and the van and trailer slide sideways toward the guard rail. I puckered up and had to get a tire iron to get the seat cover out of my bung. Here’s a picture of the road:

Time to switch to a fueled up driver:

Mood lights in the “shaggin’ wagon”:

“Dooooood, where’d you hide those Doritos?”
We took a side trip to make a fuel cache on the North end of the park so we could make the first loop.

This is as close to Scotty’s Castle as we got (nobody was very interested, we just wanted to ride):

Finally arriving at base camp:

Bail money? Check. Directions to the Courthouse? Check.

Not too bad for driving in crappy weather:

Actually the moving time is wrong; it took us right around 17 hours, but the odometer is right.

Time to unload and ride!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
About friggin time Leecifer. Jeez like you have work to do or something. This trip was planned for a long time and I was so ready to go. We had met to go over routes, and had the discussion of not wrecking before the trip. I just went two minutes from the house and was intending on testing the new RAM mount and GPS, and fuel leaks with the new tank. First ride since Oct 08. Blipped throttle with clutch in 2nd to hop it over a little pile of dirt. Total traction bike looped out, left leg jammed into ground, and man I know I screwed things up. Go friggin figure. Oh the GPS stayed in the mount, and the tank did not leak at all. So after DV ride the MRI says I don't have an attached ACL anymore, impact fracture with minimial displacement, and some torn cartilage. Amazingly I know it is screwed up but it really did not hurt that bad, but riding while sitting down all day sucks.

What leecifer does not say is that the wheel bearing seals did not show up until the day we were leaving, and that was K putting the bearings and old seals back in the night before.

Who the hell brings a flat tire they have known about for a week to fix the night before you are leaving. Oh that would be leecifer, and after we put a new tube in we get this.

Hey guys I gotta go home like right now...you can get this together right. WTF you have been here for 10 minutes, and we have a ton of shit to get organized. Yeah but the wife promised me a special "dinner" before the trip and you FF's can kiss my butt.

We finally get ready to actually leave and here is another of leecifer fixing his handlebars because he forgot to tighten the pinch bolts on his risers. Yeah he is ready to go. And K is dragging his feet because he is hoping UPS will show up with his new spare tank. Yes he was able to slow things up enough to get the dang tank.

Finally out of town and on the way for a major road trip. The other two guys had left earlier because "that is too far to drive straight through". That would be Eeyore and Moke, so hopefully they have some road trip pics.

Here are the roads after we get out of the pure ice. This weather is really screwing our travel time, and stressing the drivers out. We are used to ice and snow, but not in the middle of a road trip with our bikes.

More to come as I need to get this posted up.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?

wickit screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 11:05 AM
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Sorry for the duplicate pics. Notice the top speed. That K was floggin the Raper Van as leecifer or I would never do that. Could not lie his way out of that one. I hit reset on the trip checking fuel as we were getting close and messed up the overall stats for the trip.

Anyway you notice leecifer, K, Moke and Eeyore checking their tire pressure. Again WTF you guys have been here for a day, and just before leaving for the first ride you have a flat.

Eeyore gets really pissed and takes his bike to a shop to fix the flat, but K, leecifer, and I head out without them. F-m we came to ride and we have about 3hrs of sleep maybe from the trip down. Moke stays with Eeyore intitially, but then catches up with us along Titus canyon.

Riding is not too bad thank god I put a new Guts Racing Tall soft seat on. No way could I have done the ride with the stocker. The wind was blowing like crazy and the entire valley was hidden by dust.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

wickit screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 11:26 AM
Old 04-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Leecifer OP
Just like to ride

Whoa, .

I was there over an hour, did 90% of the packing while you milked your crutch. Kinda like the gov'ment work you were doing at the little league field this weekend, just replaced the crutch with a rake.

AND, "dinner" with the Mrs. will always come before you FFs.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Cool, in for this one. I dig those KLR fairings.

Here's a tid bit. If the chains are too long, twist them and then hook the hook through the hole, and back onto itself. It's Uhaul's S.O.P.
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Leecifer OP
Just like to ride

Thanks,

Good tip. The chains were a bit short, so we had to add a length of chain to the hitch to connect the actual drag chains to. We were short on time, and didn't feel like f'n around. Plus it was a borrowed trailer.

I'll work on day two tomorrow, and hope to get it up (as it were) then.

Oh, and the fairing: AWESOME! Great airflow-right over the head @ 6'. Twin HID's are amazing. Only very minor complaint: on the rougher sections, with the fairing up it shakes or vibrates quite a bit. Put the fairing down, problem goes away. Mostly.

Leecifer screwed with this post 04-07-2009 at 09:57 PM
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Finish of Day 1

I do have to thank leecifer and K for helping me get ready. Could not do much to actually help them pack and load. So I am sorry for bashing on them...yeah right LMB's. I put together some of my pics going into through Titus. Like we said the air was all dust and did not help the picture taking. I'm sure others will add some pics they took.

Lee pretty much took care of Titus to Ubehebe.

It amazed me how the road just appeared to stop at rock walls, but would then snake around them.

Watch out for the Pink 1 Ton Dodges with 10-12 passenger boxes from Vegas. I think they were called pink bus tours or something. They flat haul ass down Titus, and I bet those inside probably puked. Running a solid 30mph right through the entire canyon.

We then ran up towards Scotty's Castle to our fuel Cache. No one really wanted to stop at Scotty's, and we were realizing we had a lot of miles to cover. It takes a lot more time then you realize to stop and see the sights. We have a plan and that is what we are going to do. So we top off all the bikes, and I carry an additional two gallons with me. Between us we leave near the ranger station with just over 17 gallons and four bikes.

We hit Ubehebe (Sp) crater and it was very impressive. A scuffed up and cold one but it was a still cold, and on to the Race Track.

We then take off for the Race Track, Lippincott, and Saline Valley

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

wickit screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 11:35 AM
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Leecifer OP
Just like to ride

LMB?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
kauf270
Eddie would go

Oddometer: 30
this is gonna get good.....

I will hold back for now...KK
kauf270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

To Race Track

I just spent over and hour finishing up day one clear to dinner and lost it when the wife could not stay off the internet. Will finish up tomorrow for day 1. This stuff takes a long time.

LMB=Lick My Balls, and for future reference because I know you will ask. DB=Douche Bag, FN=Fuck Knuckle, and the rest are just what they sound like.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
Leecifer OP
Just like to ride

Like a dumbshit, I forgot to pack extra water and any food: too danged anxious to get on the road. FYI, if you are doing trails/roads in Death Valley, even in the Spring you will need a lot of water. I used up my 70 oz camelback by midday.

Headed out of town to the East, skipped Rhyolite as we were already running late, and had a long ways to go. Went straight for Titus Canyon.

I feel like we picked a great time of year to visit DV. The colors were amazing. During this first day, the winds were intense. Good solid 25 mph, gusts way higher. The nice lady at the Ranger Station said they expected gusts to 75mph at Ubehebe Crater. Back to Titus:

You can see the dust flying around in the background. It was actually pretty nice once we got down in the canyon.

Here’s Te610Moke:

Three of four:

Had to bump up the saturation on this last pic. Loads of dust in the air.

Leadfield:

The whole “scale” thing goes out the window in Death Valley. What I mean is: when something seems big, it’s freaking HUGE! If it seems a mile away by sight, it’s probably more like five. Pictures definitely don’t do any of it justice. You need to go.

More Dust:

Here a photo to judge scale:

Break time.

Found this little guy on the way:

The rock formations and geology are amazing here.

Stopping at the fuel cache, ADV Salute!

Next Stop: Ubehebe Crater.

Couldn’t find a picture to do the crater justice. I ended up taking several of the crater in hopes of stitching them together. Haven’t had any luck yet finding a decent free stitching program. I mentioned forgetting food and extra water, but I didn’t forget the beer! (It was already in my tailbag.) I mounted the makeshift tailbag (I do own a KLR) with small machine head screws and fender washers, and the beers had been bounced around on Titus so much that the machine heads had worn rings around the cans, as well as holes. I started out with 8 beers, but only had 4 left by the time we got to Ubehebe! Gotta get a pad for next time.

FYYFF!

Leecifer screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 10:39 AM
Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Ubehebe to Saline Valley

We leave the crater and head to the race track. We think leecifer is just taking his time as usual, but alas he piled it up back at the crater. Thanks for being so honest. On the way. 8-80 bumps were out but we found a smooth pace.

Meet quite a few 4x's, and all are pretty good at sharing except one DB in a white Ford. What a FN and I could see that he was going to be a jerk as he as coming towards me. I gave it my best to roost him, but he never slowed down so I must have missed. Just down the road everyone had the same issue with the rig.

On the Way

Then Moke looses a foot peg bolt. Day 1 repair #2

Later at the Race Track I turn around and get to see this.

leecifer gets some pics of the rocks and we are really running late with a lot of miles to go. So on over Lippincott to Saline Valley Hot springs. I think leecifer has some good pics of that. Mine are not that good.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

wickit screwed with this post 04-08-2009 at 12:54 PM
Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Leecifer OP
Just like to ride

Off on the Racetrack Road:

Joshua trees are cool.

About here is where Moke lost a foot peg bolt. Luckily K brought a small box of nuts and bolts. In a few minutes we were on our way.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
Leecifer OP
Just like to ride

Moke: "I don't think I'm gonna be able to sit anymore today." :ymca