Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
zavi OP
tra curve e tornanti

Oddometer: 86
Cry L'Aquila: From Sunset Till Dawn - In Memory of the People died in earthquake

The earthquake of 6 April (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_L%27Aquila_earthquake) have left majority damage in this beautiful city: In Memory of the hundreds People who died in their house and for the thousand people that now are suffering.

The 8 of March with some friends, at the end of a journey, we stay in L'Aquila for a night until start the way back home.
I translate (with some help by google) the report of that night published by my friend Gabriele (with is consent).

Here you can view the original http://www.freevax.it/ITINERARI/Aquila.htm (in Italian).

From Sunset Till Dawn

SUNSET

Is not easy, and extremely simplistic, judging a city by a vision of those few hours that lead from sunset until early morning introduced by a nebulous dawn (including short-sleep), is even less easy if the evening is not a of the many events that animate the ordinary this particular city, but on 8 March, dedicated to the celebration of Women, recurrence due to which the streets are densely populated by beautiful people and the restaurants are unable to meet the needs of five enogastronomic unfortunate tourists going by this the old ways …

PIAZZA DEL DUOMO

Despite the snowy mountains overseeing the city, the air of the evening, which fades into the dark night, carrying thin but warm effluents that promise the arrival of a rapidly approaching spring season.

Meanwhile, the streets are populated more and more of girls and ladies of all ages who walk between the walls waiting for the dinner and admirated men that observed their slight gait, the atmosphere that you can grasp is quiet serenity, hoping that it is not only the result of a limited circumstance, but a nice custom.

The stands in the main street dedicated to chocolate produced in a thousand ways contribute to the "movida" of this unusual, so I believe, evening.

NIGHT

There are cities in Italy that we know practically everything and others who we know very little, probably overruned by the extraordinary beauty of which boast many towns that lie radically their roots in history and culture of this country and that is unthinkable not to visit, or obscure by the vision of a regional non-premium placement.

L'Aquila, the capital of a region suggestive but not yet well understood in tourism is certainly part of the second group, although its location in front of the imposing Apennines massif at an altitude of 720 meters, which often brings to the forefront of chronicles for the adverse weather conditions which have been submitted to give greater visibility than other seemingly similar situations.

THE SPANISH FORT

As the dark sky intensified the headlights that illuminate the evocatively Spanish Fort, the massive fortress that since the sixteenth century dominates the highest point of the city on a perpetual reminder after the revolt of 1527 which cost Aquilani to the payment of expenses related to its construction.

In reality the revolt was the pretext for a massive fortification be implemented throughout the territory acquired by the Spanish crown.

Despite its imposing bulk the Castle was never finished, so the gap was never filled by the water necessary for its defense, the same as ever over the centuries will be affected by feats of arms relevant deteriorated progressively until the devastation caused by war world.

The patient work of restoration that followed has returned to its original splendor this work unique to square with bastions angular walls from 5 to 10 meters high and 30mt was designed to withstand powerful attacks, which in effect was not ever.

Attractions of L'Aquila

In this evening of ending winter is nice to lose in the streets of the town admiring the illuminated monuments or slipping with her eyes on the slopes where the horizon stood out the snow-covered mountains, silent fascinated stop in front of the basilica dedicated to the Holy of Sienna built in 1454 in Renaissance style with regard to the relatively baroque facade and the inside.

BASILICA DI SAN BERNARDINO

Geometries of Ventennio

Apparently wandering aimlessly we head towards one of the most famous monuments of L'Aquila located at the base of the hill that houses the center, plazas and arcades enlightened culturally enrich our walk this evening.

PIAZZA PALAZZO

Snow backgrounds

99 CANNELLE FOUNTAIN

Legend says that this fountain was built starting in 1272 with his symbolizes the fountains of the 99 castles that was uniting under the leadership of Frederick II contributed to the foundation of the city of L'Aquila, in fact, the fountain was originally endowed by a much humble architecture and only thanks for additions and alterations made over the centuries it has been observed by the odiern layout.

Even today, however it is not clear from where the water arrives and flows from all 93 different masks and the other 6 cannelle and that over the centuries has made it possible to use the fountain as a wash until the early years of the '900.

DAWN

By my usual (few) hours of sleep, I can look back in Piazza del Duomo in the gray clouds of a plumbed dawn in the hope of selfish but a solitary vision of the town, immediately contradicted by the vociferate of merchants who prepare the weekly market .

PIAZZA DEL DUOMO

IL DUOMO

Behind the Cathedral

SANTA MARIA DEL SUFFRAGIO

Streets and alleys

With just a few steps away from the main square to conquer the quiet charm of a typical city of dawn and drive the ancient paving in fast descent toward another important monument is located just outside the city walls.

PORTA BAZZANO

SANTA MARIA DI COLLEMAGGIO

The splendid façade Roman / Gothic basilica built in 1287 by the will Eremita Peter Morrone who will be crowned Pope a few years later, it is totally obscured by scaffolding needed for the restoration, the disappointment at the lack of opportunity will soon replace the pleasant finding a conservative determination of the artistic heritage that can only promote the beauty of the structure after being worked.

Details

Time is an oppressor, it's time to get back on my steps up the slope toward showing the old city and towards the end of this brief in L'Aquila.

CORSO VITTORIO EMANUELE

Dawn quickly turns into morning, the fellows expect me in hotel for breakfast and the preparative of new journey.

The goal ahead at the end of the day just started is named home, but before reaching this in late evening, there's time to cross new frontiers, the Lazio and the monti Simbruini.

Shell through the typical traffic of a city that starts to work, under a sky more blue dispelled the last clouds, we reach the highway to take a short lead to the transfer point for the new adventure.
our passion www.biomototurismo.it
my report little bit of Chianti, Corsica, Italian C2C by night, L'Aquila: a month before the Earthquake
zavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Thanks for giving us the background history and pics of the devastated city.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Decster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Some nice pics there.

Just been up to some of the villages, Onna and Paganica, to have a look, on my wife's 650. Devastation, like a war passed through them. Crazy. Took no pics, too many media around annoying people trying to do their job so i respectfully kept my distance.

Will go back in a few weeks to check it out when the media have left people to try and pick up their lives...
Decster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
zavi OP
tra curve e tornanti

Oddometer: 86
I've the clear memories of L'Aquila by this trip, just a month ago...
A "lump in throat" in me after the first news, and is still there.

But where're you from?

(in italiano)
Ho un ricordo così vivo de L'Aquila da questo viaggio, solo un mese...
Ho un groppo in gola dalle prime notizie, ed è ancora lì.

Ma di dove sei?
our passion www.biomototurismo.it
my report little bit of Chianti, Corsica, Italian C2C by night, L'Aquila: a month before the Earthquake
zavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Thanks for sharing.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
lefteris
fat daddy

Oddometer: 282
Thanks my friend.

Lefteris
lefteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Decster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zavi
I've the clear memories of L'Aquila by this trip, just a month ago...
A "lump in throat" in me after the first news, and is still there.

But where're you from?
I spend some time in Pescara, where my wife is from.

I will go back to look at the damage in a few weeks. People are still coming to terms with it and I feel they need their space. There has been an overwhelming amount of support from all over the region which is good.

L'Aquila is not my favourite town in the Region, but it was beautiful.

I love Scanno, Corvara, Navelli, Calascio and Santo Stefano di Sessanio, places like this where they are small and a real community still exists.

Ciao

Decster
Decster is offline   Reply With Quote