User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Richard M OP
Doesntplaywellwithothers

Oddometer: 547
Aus Safari 08 Trip Home

It is with mixed emotions I sit hear writing this report of what turned out to be one of the best trips I have ever Had.
This was the first Trip my Pillion in a million Wife & Best mate Tracey had joined me "off Road" we have many road rides under our belt,this was her first taste of the Red dirt.

I had just spent the previous week as the Moto advisor for the Australasian Safari.
Not competing this year I spent the last twelve months on the organising commity helping the guys with this years event.

Seeing the first bike off on the first stage was special.

This guy is one of the loosest and fastest units you will ever meet."check his results #19"

Anyone who has met Ivan can vouch for that,I'm sure Hienekeen was a major sponsor,They had 2 F250 Dual cabs,a Western Star with a 40' Trailer & a plane all for one bike.

You never get used to sights like this,Belive it or not Shane escaped serious injury with only a Broken leg after a 100km/h + inpact with a kangaroo.

Having riden with most of the competitors over the years you become close to them & their crews.

I had to Land the Heli Crew on an Injured Rider on day 4,giving them the coordinates to find him mid stage.
It wasn't until later that night I found out the Rider was a mate of Mine Mark Eland, his condition still at this moment remains unchanged But stable in a coma due to the head injuries he received during his fall.
Our thoughts and prayers are with him & his family.

Tracey came along for the event as the Merchandise Manager for Octagon, she had a ball & now knows how adictive offroad racing is.

We Made it to the end & through the presentation Dinner,This is where our adventure begins.

Richard M screwed with this post 09-15-2008 at 01:21 AM
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,049
Love your work! You know how to grab a great photo!

It wasn't until later that night I found out the Rider was a mate of Mine Mark Eland, his condition still at this moment remains unchanged But stable in a coma due to the head injuries he received during his fall.
Our thoughts and prayers are with him & his family.

Here, here! I hope he recovers soon.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Richard M OP
Doesntplaywellwithothers

So it begins!

[/IMG]The big girl "BMW" had quite a trip over to WA from the east coast "Brisbane" First pics show her at the Woobly boot day#1
[IMG][/IMG]
Al was spannering for Pilbra this year & kindly said he would transport the big girl over.
On his way just out of broken Hill "taking a short cut" 4:00am one morning he ran out of fuel in the nissan.
Not being one to sit idle for to long he dropped of the camper wedged his tailgate under the tray & unloaded the 1200 to go for fuel.
I have busted my balls taking it off the bike trailer with a ramp,I challange anyone to have a go at the title without dropping one.

I personally would rather not know how he done it "or watch it"
[IMG][/IMG]
We picked up the bike on the way to Kalgoorlie,dropped of the Media Car at the Airport then went to unload the bike,Al offered to show me how he unloaded it on the Tailgate."We found a Forklift"

Monday Morning Day 2
We couldn't leave Kal without a Visit to the Super Pit.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

We where off heading up to Laverton,I had spent a bit of time setting up the BMW for the Trip Hyperpro shocks front & rear Revalved to suit my riding style, Also fitted HID lights high & low. "Al said they worked well"

Our plan was to stay on the great Central road due to being two up & only having 10days to do 5200kms,Al had flown Amanda & his young bloke Jack over to Perth it was their first taste of the red dirt as well.

The local copper had warned us that It was court day in Warbuton tomorrow & Warkaunna was preparing for a funeral,By the way the road is shit & watch the Camels.

Who knows what lies ahead,only time will tell.

We left Laverton half a day behind schedual looking for a camp site.
1st camp,my little mate Jack & our swag.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #4
Crackawoody
Falling off near you soon

Oddometer: 76
I can't wait for the full instalment

Crackawoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Richard M OP
Doesntplaywellwithothers

Day Three Camels

[IMG][/IMG]

We litrerally got sick of stopping for Camel photos,Someone needs to find a use for them to make a buck.

The roads at this stage wheren't to bad "touch wood" Stopped a few times & dialled the big girl in.
[IMG][/IMG]

The owner at this Road house also warned us of what lays ahead,I wouldn't want to be on that thing he said pointing to the BMW "What your two up"

Confidence was now a thing of the past,F#*k what have i done Two up out here,if I drop it she'll Kill me

We headed off to Warbuton Roads whern't to bad,waiting for the hard shit.
The guy in the road house told us they have been using Dozers to pull trucks through the last section of road at Docker River

[IMG][/IMG]

The guy at Warbuton Told us of a camp sight up the road maybe 50km maybe 100km not sure."handy"
We headed off looking for a good spot to set up before Dark,This will have me fresh for Satans drive way in the Morning.
The clouds where starting to gather 79km up the road,side track on right this is us.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-15-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
[IMG][/IMG]

We litrerally got sick of stopping for Camel photos,Someone needs to find a use for them to make a buck.

The roads at this stage wheren't to bad "touch wood" Stopped a few times & dialled the big girl in.
[IMG][/IMG]

The owner at this Road house also warned us of what lays ahead,I wouldn't want to be on that thing he said pointing to the BMW "What your two up"

Confidence was now a thing of the past,F#*k what have i done Two up out here,if I drop it she'll Kill me

We headed off to Warbuton Roads whern't to bad,waiting for the hard shit.
The guy in the road house told us they have been using Dozers to pull trucks through the last section of road at Docker River

[IMG][/IMG]

The guy at Warbuton Told us of a camp sight up the road maybe 50km maybe 100km not sure."handy"
We headed off looking for a good spot to set up before Dark,This will have me fresh for Satans drive way in the Morning.
The clouds where starting to gather 79km up the road,side track on right this is us.
[IMG][/IMG]
Wow WHAT an ominous sky!
Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:00 AM   #7
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Quote:

oh yeah. looks like mine's a sister of yours !
I'm waiting for the end of this tale.... as you already showed _the_ picture in gspot......
Great tale so far. Keep going, I'm tuned.
/thierry

kktos screwed with this post 09-15-2008 at 06:04 AM
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,048
Wow, nice setup.. glad your mate wasn't seriously hurt in that collision with a kangaroo.. Thanks for posting
Old 09-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
Richard M OP
Doesntplaywellwithothers

Day Four Speed & Commitment !

Tossed & turned most the night thinking of what layed ahead this morning,thats the problem I think most of us suffer from we worry about things out of our control.
What If it rains,what If it's a shit trip,what if my dick shrinks even more "sorry"
OK time to toughen the Fuck up Take a spoon full of cement & Dial the big Girl on,This is it, Time to show off all that skill.
We hit Giles Just short of the NT Border no Fuel,should be here in a couple of days we where told.Advantage of having a support vehicle with us we had Fuel.
Hey Mate Whats the Road like at the Border I asked nervously, It's been Graded right up to the border you'll be right,Wouldn't want to be going past that though he smerked.
Ok checked all Luggage was stowed correctly,returned hostess to the upright position,took another spoon of cement & twisted it on..
We made the border no problems as stated,I quietly was looking forward to the challange,Didn't tell Tracey though
[IMG][/IMG]
We left the Border & headed for Docker River & what lays ahead,
10k's no problems.

20k's on is this it!!!!!!!!

30k's on fucking car wankers what would they know 130km/h

40k's I'm never going to listen to another window licker again.

46.78km Fuck Me,
Tracey and I have had a signal for Hold on I'm about to overtake some one on the sports bike,I reach down & grab her left knee & give it a couple of squeezes,She still has the Bruise where I grabbed her.

The first Rut i hit had both Headers dragging in the sand either side,formed up banks and no where to go.
Ok stand up get some weight on the front follow the rut like a luhge course.
At this moment my heart stopped ,for the last couple of days we had been practicing standing up together to stretch our legs.
I channeled with all my mental powers sit down don't stand up,I'm not sure wether the flying sand or bouncing off either side of the rut put her off but Trac stayed seated.

We hit a couple more stretchs the same some worse some better,The BMW didn't put a foot wrong,we had a couple of bar on stop moments as you do in that environment but all in all the Big girl proved it's self the machine to be on.

The olgas appeared on the Horizon as we put the worst of the tracks behind us.
This is where we started to encounter traffic again,we had only gone past about six cars in the last three days,now we had buses 4x4's & tourists

[IMG][/IMG]
The photo doesn't do justice to the size of these rocks.

We tavelled down the road with eyes glued to the horizon,must be round here somewhere Tracey said,she was refering to Ayres Rock "ULARA"

For thoose you havn't seen it yet it deffinatly makes a good turn around point for a great trip.
[IMG][/IMG]
al,amanda & my little mate Jack
[IMG][/IMG]
The girls really enjoyed a shower tonight "so did I just quietly" Jack wasn't impressed he thought the desert meant no showers full stop.
The high light reaching the Rock I'm sure was The Cold Beers

Richard M screwed with this post 09-15-2008 at 04:43 PM
Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Richard M OP
Doesntplaywellwithothers

Day Five where on Fire

We left the rock and headed for Curtin Springs,need to make a mile today wanted to time to visit the Flinders when we got there.
Had breaky at Curtin Springs & chucked a right Turn heading toward Mt Conner out past Victory downs Station.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I think this would easily have been the best day's riding of the Trip,the Roads where sensational in places, It shared the rough bits due to recent rains.
We stopped for a bit of smoko in some shade,you couldn't of knocked the smile off my face with a shovel today,It was a blast.
[IMG][/IMG]
Unfortunatly we had to punch down the Tar for 160km after leaving the Victory Downs road,after such good riding I would rather of put my dick in a mouse trap then do any more Bitumen.
We turned off the Tar before Marla and headed down a track for Oodnadatta, shit mud whats going on, hang on more mud,A fully loaded 1200 two up through a bog hole defiys the laws of Gravity.
At this point we made the call to turn back to the Tar "get the mouse trap out" & head for Marla to avoid getting stuck out in the mud.

Talking to the guy at the roadhouse when we got there we found out the Oodnadatta track was up to the door handles of 4x4's 4 days ago for the first 50k's,one guy had his bike stuck up to the fuel tank for a day.

Another plus Cold Beer
Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Richard M OP
Doesntplaywellwithothers

Day Six Take nothing for Granted.

If I remmembered correctly it was Isac Newton that Stated for every action there is a reaction.

Simple hey be a Dickhead & Face the consicences. "More on this real soon"

Today started the same as the others excited about what adventure was to come. "If only I knew"

The Track as stated for the first 50k's showed signs of major water only days before,sections still had water up to the road edge.
A local having a stroll.
[IMG][/IMG]

When we got to the Mt Dare turn off & I suggested to Al we should have a crack at the Simpson Desert after all the Rain,we would maybe never get anothor shot at it with such good conditions.

Commen sense prevailed & we headed for Oodnadatta,we passed 4x4 after 4x4 along the track all obviously heading to Birdsville for the races.
We fueled up & headed out along the Old Gahn railway line & explored the Ruins & structures that still stand.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
It is amazing to think all this was built so long ago in such a harsh environment,the hardship & conditions would have been testing if nothing else.

We came to a sign post Peak Downs Telegraph Station.
Warning Remote area corrigated Road ahead,no emergency services,Proceed with Caution.

Looks good lets go,It was one of the roughest tracks we had encounted for the entire trip,so rough I thought of turning aroung 5k's in.
We pushed on & found the Ruins of the Old Telegraph Station & Spring hoping to find a bubbling stream & swimming hole."Wrong"
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

We where still about 140km's from Williams Creek & it was getting Late,we should head off soon I announced "Cold Beer"
Just going to go & look whats on that ridge line Al,will meet you back here in a Minute.
Turned out to be a Grave sight on the opposite ridge,heading back to Al was when my Brain switched off & the show pony Stepped up.

We where approaching Al's location when I noticed he had his camera out,not being one to miss out on a photo opportunity I wicked the Big Girl up & backed it In.
[IMG][/IMG]

I still don't know what the Fuck was going through my mind,was I on the 525,didn't I have a pillion on,I hope I'm finished with my nuts because if I pull this off Tracey is going to cut them off.

WRONG

Anyone who has practised backing in one of these big pigs as I have many times before,REMEMBER ISAC NEWTON.

If my brain had of been switched on maybe the caculations needed to estimate the added force of a pillion,full panniers & red mist factor contributing to my spiraling downfall.

[IMG][/IMG]

We were engulfed in a cloud of dust I couldn't see shit.
Tracey are you Ok? That was so cooool she said! Get up & help me pick the Bike up.
What a champion I wish I had her positive out look on everything.
I'd love to darling but my leg apparantly stopped the bike from being damaged during its fall & it's current location is still under the Bike.

The big fella got the bike off me & I continued to roll around on the ground like a fat kid on a cup cake.

Something is clicking in my boot Al I think I may have broken my Knee Braces,We pulled my boot off shit Braces are Ok.
[IMG][/IMG]

Two choices spend the night here or ride it out,Ok boot Back on can someone bring my bike over please.
OK Tracey kick the stand up before you get on only my left leg works now.

Al i will see you at Williams creek if not sooner,The bumps I saw in time I lifted my foot off the footpeg some quite not high enough

I broke the Trip down into 10k sections, we made the main road Ok only having to stop once to undo my boot straps.

OK remembering Newtons Law do I wick it up & get there faster,slow down & ride safely.

Go for the fastest option twist it on. 120km/h seemed to be fine as a cruising speed roads where good we where making good time.
Leg felt good I even started to doubt it was broken,this was the moment we crested a hill at 120 to find the other end of Satans Driveway,OK when in doubt wring it out.

We come out the other side unscathed no worries I told myself it's all good.

This was when a causway poped up in front,steady steady keep it straight,fuck those ruts look deep.
To this day i still wish so much hadn't been going through my mind & I had remembered to lift my foot.
The rut caught my boot and removed it from the footpeg at approx 100km/h.
Yep It's broken I told myself no doubt about it.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #12
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Awesome ride report Tankboy. Am kicking myself I couldnt come with ya mate. Sorry to hear about the injury. Heal quick mate and glad that Trace is OK.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #13
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Eek

impressive !
Congrats for your handling. it could have been worse.

Quote:
Tracey are you Ok? That was so cooool she said!
oh yeah baby !
best wife ever ;)

/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 AM   #14
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,326
Good report Richard,
Sounds like alot of fun, even when the brain got away from you
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,166
Richard,

I thought I was the only one to have that sort of luck.

Great Report Mate, Waiting with baited breath.