ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #16
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 118
Hey KLRscoob, would you mind posting pics of front view and side view please? I'd appreciate it!
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #17
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Shit, man, anyone could make those KLRscoob. A trip to Home Depot for shatterproof Plexiglass, some brackets, a couple of spacers, washers, bolts, DONE! The only things he's doing is cutting the Plexiglass and bending the brackets. I'm betting those brackets are intended for something else. I'm going to make my own this weekend. And I won't spend $65 thats for sure!
The Griz (click)
The sorry profile of: The Griz (Hmmmm.... where's that button? Oh. There it is...)
Ignore The Griz (click)
Ahhhh.... that's better.
__________________
-Nooner

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KLRscoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego CA
Oddometer: 197
if you go to the picture link on my first posting there is a bunch of pictures in my Photobucket account. if that does not work let me know. I cannot seem to figure out how to post up pictures.
thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly
Hey KLRscoob, would you mind posting pics of front view and side view please? I'd appreciate it!
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #19
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 118
That worked but still would like to see a pic of a straight on view from the front if possible. Your pics are from the top looking down for the most part. Sorry if I seem so picky....I'm just trying to get an idea the size, etc. thanks!
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
So I finally fabricated my own headlight guard:





Took me about an hour, if that. Total cost of materials: $17. Home Depot.

The brackets are made from a 3 foot piece of flat aluminum. I cut, grinded, bent, and drilled em. The protector is a clear piece of 11"x14" Lexan cut to size and shape, then drilled holes in it to mount it.

I went with a thinner Lexan, so that if the guard gets struck, the Lexan will give or bend. Therefore not transferring as much of the force the the headlight enclosure via the brackets.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-25-2009 at 04:18 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
761
Gnarly Adventurer
 
761's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: La La Land
Oddometer: 343

Good job Griz
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KLRscoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego CA
Oddometer: 197
Looks Great Griz! Be careful using Lexan, it will shatter very easily. Try and locate a piece of polycarbonate. I have worked with plastics for a while and without the right stuff it will be easily shattered, last time I looked I could not find poly at my local homedepot. If you cannot find any locally try RIDOUT plastics in san diego, they should be able to send you some.

-Jason
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #23
backroadsandbeyond
Adventurer
 
backroadsandbeyond's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: new westminster
Oddometer: 84
hey Griz, you may find that the sharp inner corner will form a crack. Its a typical stress spot. Round it out
__________________
live life today
backroadsandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #24
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
Thanks, guys! I'll check into Polycarbonate instead. I think I'm getting a crack already. Right where it's bolted on. Oh well. Trial and error, right?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 AM   #25
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LILGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Thanks, guys! I'll check into Polycarbonate instead. I think I'm getting a crack already. Right where it's bolted on. Oh well. Trial and error, right?

Hey Griz,
you will also need more support in the centre of the guard, it will be too flimsy. a few good gravel roads would shake that to bits..

it needs more support and use rubber where it mounts to the future polycarbonate so the vibrations can get dampened. the headlights are bad enough on their own..
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,768
So I made some changes. Did some research. The Plexiglass (a.k.a. Acrylic - 20 times stronger than glass) I was using before wasn't strong enough. It started cracking where I had it fastened to the brackets from the pressure. So, I switched to Lexan (a.k.a. Polycarbonate - 120 times stronger than glass). It is way stronger than the acrylic I was using. I attached it with rubber washers as well.

I also did some tests on a spare piece of Lexan with rocks and chunks of metal and things. I was throwing 1" rocks and pieces of scrap mild steel at it as hard as I could. Couldn't break it!


The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #27
Bucko
In a parallel world
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: South Coast, CA
Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz

I also did some tests on a spare piece of Lexan with rocks and chunks of metal and things. I was throwing 1" rocks and pieces of scrap mild steel at it as hard as I could. Couldn't break it!
Stand back 10 feet, put a marble in a Wrist Rocket, pull back and let it rip. Let us know what happens. Wear a helmet and some thick clothes...the Lexan might just send the marble right back at you

I'd like to see this test on all the guards.


Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #28
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Au
Oddometer: 294
I just got a local Aussie manufacturer to make me up a velcro on set similar to the Cee bailee headlight guard. Difference being he makes his from Polycarbonate. His ebay ad has a link to some interesting youtube video demonstrations between polycarbonate and acrylic:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

The guy trades under the ebay name of Peppershield_headlight_covers (http://myworld.ebay.com.au/peppershi...dlight_covers/), now has an F800GS template. I will put some photos up as soon as I fit them on the bike. If he gets enough requests he may consider making more.
Gany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #29
Bucko
In a parallel world
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: South Coast, CA
Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany
I just got a local Aussie manufacturer to make me up a velcro on set similar to the Cee bailee headlight guard. Difference being he makes his from Polycarbonate. His ebay ad has a link to some interesting youtube video demonstrations between polycarbonate and acrylic:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

The guy trades under the ebay name of Peppershield_headlight_covers (http://myworld.ebay.com.au/peppershi...dlight_covers/), now has an F800GS template. I will put some photos up as soon as I fit them on the bike. If he gets enough requests he may consider making more.
Point taken. A few times.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #30
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LILGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
So I made some changes. Did some research. The Plexiglass (a.k.a. Acrylic - 20 times stronger than glass) I was using before wasn't strong enough. It started cracking where I had it fastened to the brackets from the pressure. So, I switched to Lexan (a.k.a. Polycarbonate - 120 times stronger than glass). It is way stronger than the acrylic I was using. I attached it with rubber washers as well.

I also did some tests on a spare piece of Lexan with rocks and chunks of metal and things. I was throwing 1" rocks and pieces of scrap mild steel at it as hard as I could. Couldn't break it!



Griz,
ya need to round of the edges, it just doesnt look right on the HB side. what stops the guard from vibrating down and end up loosening the head light bolts? does it rest on the beak i can't see it clearly enough, this looks like a problem otherwise it will rub on the beak.

LILGS screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 11:13 PM
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014