Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #31
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILGS
Griz,
ya need to round of the edges, it just doesnt look right. what stops the guard from vibrating down and end up loosening the head light bolts. this looks like a problem.
It doesn't rest on the beak. That would be a pretty dumb move on my part, don't you think? Look at the upper picture in my last post. You can easily see that it's got about an inch between the beak and guard. I like the edges the way they are. Looks tougher to me. And as far as the loosening of the headlight bolts goes, I've tested it quite a bit already. Hasn't come loose as of yet. I'm not too worried about that. Besides that would be no more of an issue for my headlight guard than it would be for the Touratech or Holan ones. Mine's Lexan and aluminum, therefore far lighter than the mild steel like the TT and Holan. The only way mine's it's going to come loose is if I don't tighten it down. Plus, I use blue loktite on everything.

I might paint the brackets black though....hmmm...

The Griz screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 12:22 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #32
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Besides that would be no more of an issue for my headlight guard than it would be for the Touratech or Holan ones.
The Touratech (and I assume the Holan guards, since they're supposed to be identical) have a small tab that sticks into the headlight case next to the mounting bolt that keeps them from rotating.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #33
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
The Touratech (and I assume the Holan guards, since they're supposed to be identical) have a small tab that sticks into the headlight case next to the mounting bolt that keeps them from rotating.

David
Thanks for the info. I'll have to make something like that out of aluminum for mine, if it ever becomes a problem.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 03:16 PM
Old 04-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #34
The Griz
North Forest Rider

What is Best Rest using for the rubber push-on "light-blocker" on the top of the headlight guard in this pic? I've Googled high and low, can't seem to come up with any results.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 07:39 PM
Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #35
ncooper
starting again

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
What is Best Rest using for the rubber push-on "light-blocker" on the top of the headlight guard in this pic? I've Googled high and low, can't seem to come up with any results.
Wow, I like their design.

it looks like simple edge grip rubber seal.... or rubber edging
Old 04-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #36
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,072
Quote:
........Plus, I use blue loktite on everything....
Except on bolts that pass through plastic right? You do know the effect anaerobic's have on most plastics.

Like how you jacked this thread to make it yours.

Earl

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #37
The Griz
North Forest Rider

I wasn't aware that the original poster was the only one who could post in a thread that they start. If so, that would kind of negate the purpose of a forum don't you think? That would be more like a bulletin board. Stop trying to start shit. Stop trolling. Deal with the fact that this is a forum. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big adv
Except on bolts that pass through plastic right? You do know the effect anaerobic's have on most plastics.

Like how you jacked this thread to make it yours.

Earl

The Griz screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 09:49 PM
Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #38
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
I like to compliment anyone who dares to make things work for themselves and don't just go to put their cash for other peoples products. The Klrscoob put some hours thinking , buying mats , and testing so that he is able to bring here a product that seems to be working and is cheap. The product Gritz is manufacturing is very nice , but will cost him probably more than buying Klrscoob's one in first place. But , he will have a unique personal product in his bike which is super . And of course he can help any friends with the experience he gained. But, i agree with big adv that you jacked this thread although your post about your efforts kept me reading. Keep testing and experimenting and of course keep us informed about the results
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #39
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Didn't mean to "hijack" the thread, if that's even possible to do in a forum, given the nature of a forum, etc... I guess I should have taken up more space in Beasts and started my own thread for the same subject, huh?

Thanks for the support though. I do get pleasure from building my own things instead of buying them. And for the record, my total expenses so far have been $30. Originally it was $17, but I decided to upgrade to Lexan instead of Plexiglass. That brought it up to $30. I thought KLRScoob was charging $65?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #40
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
It doesn't rest on the beak. That would be a pretty dumb move on my part, don't you think? Look at the upper picture in my last post. You can easily see that it's got about an inch between the beak and guard. I like the edges the way they are. Looks tougher to me. And as far as the loosening of the headlight bolts goes, I've tested it quite a bit already. Hasn't come loose as of yet. I'm not too worried about that. Besides that would be no more of an issue for my headlight guard than it would be for the Touratech or Holan ones. Mine's Lexan and aluminum, therefore far lighter than the mild steel like the TT and Holan. The only way mine's it's going to come loose is if I don't tighten it down. Plus, I use blue loktite on everything.

I might paint the brackets black though....hmmm...
Yes, it would be Dumb but hey you did make it, you were quick to criticise KLR's product, yours isnt exactly brilliant...

So you still havent answered my question, what stops it from rattling loose and working its ways down and potentialy hitting/rubbing the beak?.-Loctite... DREAMING!

Clown!
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #41
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILGS
Yes, it would be Dumb but hey you did make it, you were quick to criticise KLR's product, yours isnt exactly brilliant...

So you still havent answered my question, what stops it from rattling loose and working its ways down and potentialy hitting/rubbing the beak?.-Loctite... DREAMING!

Clown!
Quite frankly, your attitude, condescending tone, and overall aggressive demeanor are ruining this thread. If you just want to start shit, go hang out in Jo Mamma.

I've already answered your seemingly important question. No, it's not going to rattle loose. It's extremely light, therefore does not put enough stress on the mounting screws to come loose, even without Loctite. I added the Loctite for good measure. I've tested it many times already on very bumpy terrain. And, yes, Loctite would hold up to the supposed extreme environment you're dreaming up.

Last but not least, just drop it man. Let's keep this thread civil please.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #42
The Griz
North Forest Rider

By the way, KLRScoob. I didn't mean to bash on your product, didn't mean it that way. I can be very sarcastic sometimes. Sorry. I actually like your design! And I think Best Rest's headlight guard is sweet. Great idea with the Trimlok Flap Seal to block the light from bouncing back at the rider!

The Griz screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 11:04 AM
Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #43
KLRscoob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I have always been told by my father that "when someone copies your idea, its the best form of flattery" If anyone can make them for cheaper, more power to them, I did not want to make money, just figured I could mass produce a half dozen and help some fellow ADV's out! I will just post my pictures from now on of all my "cool" stuff!

Quote:
By the way, KLRScoob. I didn't mean to bash on your product, didn't mean it that way. I can be very sarcastic sometimes. Sorry. I actually like your design! And I think Best Rest's headlight guard is sweet. Great idea with the Trimlok Flap Seal to block the light from bouncing back at the rider!
KLRscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #44
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRscoob
I have always been told by my father that "when someone copies your idea, its the best form of flattery" If anyone can make them for cheaper, more power to them, I did not want to make money, just figured I could mass produce a half dozen and help some fellow ADV's out! I will just post my pictures from now on of all my "cool" stuff!
Your headlight guard is cool. And I wouldn't have gotten the idea to build my own if I hadn't have seen yours!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #45
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRscoob
Anyone who can fabricate some cool items and sell them or even better , write a report about them and how hedid it, will get lots of attention and many will be grateful. Looking at the problems while creating a project step by step will give all of us valuable information and maybe make the design even better! For instance , What did you do so that your product wont break from the vibrations created while riding? Any special design precautions? And , OK , its a Headlight Guard that looks cool and you say it has zero problems till now (i believe you, but). Please write us about materials used for example. I don't say that i know the materials or the design of every product i buy via internet, but i would love to.
markas is offline   Reply With Quote