ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 213 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
try asking brian (garminmac), the garmin development tech on the thread he started.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...331421&page=75
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #17
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
I'm in the middle of a road trip from N CA to Chicago and made the stupid mistake of purchasing the City Navigator NT 2010.1 updated maps from a motel room. The update downloaded successfully to my MacBook (Roadtrip), but it keeps blowing up when trying to transfer it into the 478, giving a message indicating that the update did NOT occur and that I should check to see if the unit was plugged in and turned on, which of course it was. Worse - it erased my entire City Navigator NT 2009 map in the 478, so I'm left without any detailed road map...

I attempted Garmin Support, sat on hold for over 2 hours, finally got transferred to "Tier-2" software support and never did get an answer - I needed to hit the road. Now it's the weekend, so no support available.

Any advice anyone?

Did you have the unit plugged in to Wall power? It seems that it makes a difference.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #18
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Did you have the unit plugged in to Wall power? It seems that it makes a difference.
Hmmm - maybe that's the trick, though I wonder why that would make a difference. Can you please elaborate on why you believe this might work - i.e., have you installed the update this way, when it didn't work unplugged?

Unfortunately though, I didn't bring the AC Adapter with me. At this stage, I'll need to wait until I arrive in Chicago, but I'll report back either way after I try it. Thanks.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 AM   #19
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 650
I had to install mine 3 times before it would take. As suggested I plugged the unit in and I also turned off the screen saver on my Mac. It should not be this finicky. I emailed Garmin about it at the time but have had no reply.

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #20
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

wow guys, I'm feeling pretty lucky that mine loaded first try ...... but i did do everything by the directions, and using the ac power supply.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #21
KTRSD
keep the rubber side down

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Unfortunately though, I didn't bring the AC Adapter with me. At this stage, I'll need to wait until I arrive in Chicago, but I'll report back either way after I try it. Thanks.
Is it hardwired on the bike? You could try it plugged in there.
KTRSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #22
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

wouldn't it be nice if the "spot messenger" could be fitted into a 478?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #23
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Hmmm - maybe that's the trick, though I wonder why that would make a difference. Can you please elaborate on why you believe this might work - i.e., have you installed the update this way, when it didn't work unplugged?
I have no direct evidence. It's something I read in one of 478 threads. I've only updated the maps once on my unit. It worked, but I also had it plugged in.

Here's a thread where it seemed to be the problem for fellow using the 276 LINK
Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
T J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
map download

I tried loading the map updates on battery power a couple of times with no luck. Plugged it in and it worked first shot.
T J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #25
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Greetings from stormy Denver all - crazy weather all day across CO. Thanks for all your input - it sounds like it's the AC Adapter issue. I'm very hopeful this will be the case - I'd hate to have to send it in for warranty repair/replacement. I could try and test it with bike power, but it would be very inconvenient trying to do it in the rain here tonight.

I'll report back after I'm able to test the theory...

Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #26
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Talking Success with Map Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
I'm in the middle of a road trip from N CA to Chicago and made the stupid mistake of purchasing the City Navigator NT 2010.1 updated maps from a motel room. The update downloaded successfully to my MacBook (Roadtrip), but it keeps blowing up when trying to transfer it into the 478, giving a message indicating that the update did NOT occur and that I should check to see if the unit was plugged in and turned on, which of course it was. Worse - it erased my entire City Navigator NT 2009 map in the 478, so I'm left without any detailed road map...

I attempted Garmin Support, sat on hold for over 2 hours, finally got transferred to "Tier-2" software support and never did get an answer - I needed to hit the road. Now it's the weekend, so no support available.

Any advice anyone?
Thanks to all who provided advice on using the AC Power Supply when updating internal maps - it worked! There must be some timeout on the Garmin's USB when running on battery power only, though I'm puzzled as to why Garmin didn't note that in any of the instructions I could find.

Also, what's up with Garmin's RIDICULOUS hold time for support these days - they used to be reasonably quick? I never did get to talk to a Tier-2 software support tech, after waiting over 2 hours...

In any case, I'm glad you guys were here - thanks again...

Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #27
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Thanks to all who provided advice on using the AC Power Supply when updating internal maps - it worked! There must be some timeout on the Garmin's USB when running on battery power only, though I'm puzzled as to why Garmin didn't note that in any of the instructions I could find.

Also, what's up with Garmin's RIDICULOUS hold time for support these days - they used to be reasonably quick? I never did get to talk to a Tier-2 software support tech, after waiting over 2 hours...

In any case, I'm glad you guys were here - thanks again...

Glad it worked out for you.

I noticed the longer than normal wait with Garmin this January, but just thought it might be due to all those new Garmin Christmas gifts.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:53 AM   #28
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

I just subscribed to the master mariner weather package and the xm everything music package, did all this over the phone with xm. It was fairly straight forward and easy. $117 including the one time hookup fees ....

on my bike I'll have my headphones inside my helmet, but now I'm on the search for a audio wiring system for the jeep/boat/etc. .......
Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #29
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis
I just subscribed to the master mariner weather package...
I've had that package for the past year. Works fantastically well - I can't tell you how many times it enabled me to avoid some very nasty weather well in advance, enabling me to alter course to ride around it.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #30
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
I have the master mariner package right now myself, but dang the $50/month is painful. The $30 plans still give you nexrad, but they drop stuff like the lightning data, storm tracks and other things that are nice to see also when you are faced with a storm coming at you on a bike.

It is so nice having the radar on long trips, but keeping a subscription the entire year is tough to justify. I really would have thought this technology would be much cheaper.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote