ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 163 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #46
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
ditto on everything blue lighning said !

I have been listing links to posts useful to us 478 users on the first post of this thread. If you find something you'd like me to add just pm me and I'll add it.

opps, gotta go .... kayaking time ..... and it's not raining!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #47
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
It seems when you call, its hit or miss depending on who you get to talk to. Go ahead and register the unit online. I'm betting you'll be eligible for a free upgrade since you bought this unit new which would be the best outcome.

IIRC = If I remember correctly.

Yeah, not sure why they don't include the actual DVD when you buy it. It would save a bunch of headaches from users. Even Boat users usually have a truck and could benefit from being able to have detailed maps on your PC.
Wow, I always considered Garmin to be top notch, the best and only gps for riding, and have always thought they were expensive, and you pay for the quality. I have to say I am a little surprised -

After realizing I needed City Navigator, from reading on here and even calling Garmin Tech Support and having a technician tell me I need to purchase City Navigator, I decided to go ahead and purchase it. First I registered my GPS with Garmin, some suggested after doing this I might be able to download City Navigator free. I registered, checked for updates for maps, for unit software, for mapsource, and everything was up to date, and there wasnt anywhere to download anything. So I went to the purchase page, it lists the compatible gps units on the purchase page for City Navigator, and the 478 is NOT listed, I thought for sure it must be a mistake from what the Garmin technician told me and from what I have been told on here, so I added the City Navigator to my shopping cart, and again it listed, in the cart, the compatible units, and it did NOT list the 478. I cant help but think they do this to make sure you do not purchase the software for a unit it will not work with, and Garmin just cant be this stupid, so I didnt purchase.

Not sure what to do now, but I do notice the Zumo, comes with the City Navigator DVD, would have been so much easier. I really dont like spending money with a company that makes stuff so difficult, that should be so easy, but what are my options, I dont know of GPS's comparable to Garmin.
_DreamRider_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:51 AM   #48
KevinC
Looking for the hoard

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DreamRider_
Wow, I always considered Garmin to be top notch, the best and only gps for riding, and have always thought they were expensive, and you pay for the quality. I have to say I am a little surprised -

After realizing I needed City Navigator, from reading on here and even calling Garmin Tech Support and having a technician tell me I need to purchase City Navigator, I decided to go ahead and purchase it. First I registered my GPS with Garmin, some suggested after doing this I might be able to download City Navigator free. I registered, checked for updates for maps, for unit software, for mapsource, and everything was up to date, and there wasnt anywhere to download anything. So I went to the purchase page, it lists the compatible gps units on the purchase page for City Navigator, and the 478 is NOT listed, I thought for sure it must be a mistake from what the Garmin technician told me and from what I have been told on here, so I added the City Navigator to my shopping cart, and again it listed, in the cart, the compatible units, and it did NOT list the 478. I cant help but think they do this to make sure you do not purchase the software for a unit it will not work with, and Garmin just cant be this stupid, so I didnt purchase.

Not sure what to do now, but I do notice the Zumo, comes with the City Navigator DVD, would have been so much easier. I really dont like spending money with a company that makes stuff so difficult, that should be so easy, but what are my options, I dont know of GPS's comparable to Garmin.
I'm afraid I wouldn't bet on Garmin not being this stupid because if you check out the Prouct page for the 478 (Home » On the Water » All Water Products » Chartplotters) and take a look at Maps then Buy Additional Maps you'll see City Navigator® North America NT listed as the first On the Road Map.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #49
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,806
_DreamRider, before you purchase anything, start up your 478, goto the GPS map page. Hit Menu, scroll through the list until you see "Map Information" and hit enter. In there it should list the Basemap, a Marine Map and some version of City Nav. Tell us what version of City Nav you currently have on the GPS. Maybe by some surprising fact, you have an updated version, but that would surprise me.

My 478 currently has the stock City Navigator North America NT v8 on it and I think that is what all 478's came with. I bought my 478 used and it was registered previously, so I wasn't eligible for an update, however my 2820 I bought was never registered and as soon as I registered it on Garmin's site, it told me I was eligible for a free upgrade and its currently using the City Nav NA 2009 NT which I did successfully upgrade by downloading the software online. My wife's 376C also has 2009 NT maps on it.

Here's the most recent current break down of City Nav versions that I know of from V8 up to the most recent.
NA = North America
City Nav NA V8 NT
City Nav NA 2008 NT
City Nav NA 2009 NT
City Nav NA 2010 NT

Garmin did have non NT versions of at least V8 and 2008, but I believe they are going away from that and not sure the 2009 or 2010 maps come in a non NT version? Either way, your 478 supports the NT versions just fine, so stick with those. Infact, you can only update an NT map to another NT map anyways.

If you have V8 NT and want the latest maps, it would make the most sense to just update to 2010 NT which is the latest mapset out. I don't know if anyone here is running 2010 on their 478, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work if the 2009 NT version works.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #50
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
I don't know if anyone here is running 2010 on their 478, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work if the 2009 NT version works.
Running 2010 NT on my 478 - works fine.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #51
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
_DreamRider, before you purchase anything, start up your 478, goto the GPS map page. Hit Menu, scroll through the list until you see "Map Information" and hit enter. In there it should list the Basemap, a Marine Map and some version of City Nav. Tell us what version of City Nav you currently have on the GPS. Maybe by some surprising fact, you have an updated version, but that would surprise me.

My 478 currently has the stock City Navigator North America NT v8 on it and I think that is what all 478's came with. I bought my 478 used and it was registered previously, so I wasn't eligible for an update, however my 2820 I bought was never registered and as soon as I registered it on Garmin's site, it told me I was eligible for a free upgrade and its currently using the City Nav NA 2009 NT which I did successfully upgrade by downloading the software online. My wife's 376C also has 2009 NT maps on it.

Here's the most recent current break down of City Nav versions that I know of from V8 up to the most recent.
NA = North America
City Nav NA V8 NT
City Nav NA 2008 NT
City Nav NA 2009 NT
City Nav NA 2010 NT

Garmin did have non NT versions of at least V8 and 2008, but I believe they are going away from that and not sure the 2009 or 2010 maps come in a non NT version? Either way, your 478 supports the NT versions just fine, so stick with those. Infact, you can only update an NT map to another NT map anyways.

If you have V8 NT and want the latest maps, it would make the most sense to just update to 2010 NT which is the latest mapset out. I don't know if anyone here is running 2010 on their 478, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work if the 2009 NT version works.
I just checked the unit and it says I have - CN North America NT 2010.10 ALL - I guess I am going to go purchase Cuty Navigator from their website for my PC. Thanks for all your posts and help Blue .....
Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #52
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Would it be asking too much to just open some map software, click the roads you want to ride, create a route and transfer to gps? I am planning a trip, TAT, end of August, and its taking a lot of time, getting things ready and I just dont have the time to sit and spend hours trying to learn just basic stuff on a gps.

I bought the 478, over the zumo 550, 660, mainly for 2 reasons, I would like to be able to track, and I would like to be able to get gps routes from others that might be routes that are not on roads that are on the map, I thought the 550/660 wouldnt be able to handle this. I alos prefer the buttons over the touchscreen.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
First there is big difference in Routes and Tracks in GPS world. Use correct terms or you will not get correct answers to questions.

If you want to avoid all the unlock BS try to find an old copy of Mapsource R & R. Then just like you said draw tracks on your PC from the paper maps download them to GPS and go follow them.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #53
KevinC
Looking for the hoard

Oddometer: 2,020
Since we're talking maps at the moment a question for all you 478 owners. If I'm presuming correctly and you can update the maps held in the unit, could you also replace those maps with, for example, City Navigator Europe?

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 AM   #54
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
I just checked the unit and it says I have - CN North America NT 2010.10 ALL - I guess I am going to go purchase Cuty Navigator from their website for my PC. Thanks for all your posts and help Blue .....
Awesome, so that's why you weren't offered an update, you already have the latest maps. Yep, so you just need the DVD to put the maps on your PC and you can pull the unlock code off your GPS, so don't get talked into buying another unlock code. You just need the DVD.

What price are they getting just for that? I would hope its less then $20.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #55
_DreamRider_
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Awesome, so that's why you weren't offered an update, you already have the latest maps. Yep, so you just need the DVD to put the maps on your PC and you can pull the unlock code off your GPS, so don't get talked into buying another unlock code. You just need the DVD.

What price are they getting just for that? I would hope its less then $20.
Hey Blue ... only option I can see is to download or purchase from Garmin for $99.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #56
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Hey Blue ... only option I can see is to download or purchase from Garmin for $99.
I think that includes the full unlock which you don't really need either. Shoot, I thought updates were only $75, unless this is like the full version if you didn't have any previous installs. Either way, that's too pricey just to get the DVD maps which you already have unlocked on your GPS.

First, I would try getting on the phone again with Garmin. Tell them you just bought a "new" 478 which has the 2010 maps installed, but you don't have the equivalent DVD to install the maps on your PC. Maybe they are trying to save costs by not including it, but by request they should be willing to ship you the DVD for a nominal price plus shipping. Keep in mind Garmin isn't making any money off the DVD's, its the unlock codes they make their money off of. They just need to keep you as a happy customer so you can use the GPS as it was meant to be used.

If that doesn't work, maybe another inmate could offer you a copy of their 2010 NT DVD. Like I said, technically whithout a valid unlock code, the mapping software is useless, but you have it, so its not really like they are cheating Garmin. You just need to install it on your PC.

Otherwise, you got a buddy that needs to update to the 2010 maps on their GPS? You guys could go in together to order the DVD and tell him he gets to use the code that comes with it, but you get to get the disc or atleast a copy of it.

First try Garmin. I would hope some how you could get the DVD for a nominal price.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #57
firstbatch
Ulysses

Oddometer: 46
Blue, i have a similar situation. New, to me Refurb 478, has 2009 NT maps on the GPS and firmware ver 3.9

I have a CN NT 2008 update dvd from Garmin that they sent me a couple years ago for my nuiv 360 which I never used, It has a product key lablel on the disc with an 8 digit code.

Garmin just told me onthe phine that I have to buy a dvd of CN NT 2010 if I want to load onthe PC but that "yes" I am entitled to ta upgrade onthe unit to the CN NT 2010. They Garmin guy seemed adamant that the download/upgrade onthe unit would not simultaneously load on PC.

Once I load Mapsource on my PC in preperation of doing the Wepupdater with Garmin for the registration , firmware and map upgrade will it do me any good to also load the CN NT 2008 on my PC first and then hope taht somehow when I do the Garmin update that my PC will get updated? Or will loading CN NT 2008 on the PC jsut muck up the situation since the 478 has CN NT 2009?

Seems some on this thread and site have succesfully loaded CN NT 2010 onto ther PC via the Garmin download and bypassed the purcashing of the DVD.

Thanks much
firstbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #58
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbatch
Seems some on this thread and site have succesfully loaded CN NT 2010 onto ther PC via the Garmin download and bypassed the purcashing of the DVD.

Thanks much
I have. Currently working on updating the 3rd computer (2 Macs and a PC) to CNNT2010.20, and all have updated the computer maps first, them created the mapset to send to the 478 and then updated the GPS. I think the map data has to be on the computer in order for the installer to create the mapset. The issue I've had with this and previous updates is the installers insistence on updating the 478s maps every time even though the mapset was current. My last nBook install, I simply unplugged the USB cable from the unit once the computer map update had started. The computer updated fine and then created the new mapset. Tossed an error message when it tried to talk to the 478, but seemed to work and I didn't have to wait through the unit update yet again. HTH

I've found the best way to keep current on the updates available form Garmin is through your myGarmin account.

HTH

Steve W screwed with this post 08-01-2009 at 09:24 AM
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:20 AM   #59
firstbatch
Ulysses

Oddometer: 46
Got this issued answered and posted on another thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post10506003
firstbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #60
spidennis OP
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
I need a gps for hiking and kayaking, I already have a garmin 478 but it's battery life is 4 hours max. I'm on dialup so researching is kinda tough, and the garmin website keeps crashing my browser so I gonna do some asking around here.

I have two options,
1) use my 478, get more batteries (maybe 2), "inland lake and waterways" and intall it onto a garmin card.
2) get another gps better suited for the task, but which one?

which route is gonna cost me less?

I plan on doing a lot of backcountry kayaking and portaging (carries) in the NY Adirondack mt waterways. I'm also entered in the 3 day "90 miler" and it would be great to track my progess in the race and in my training sessions.

I don't want another 600 dollar unit, got one already or can I somehow get my 478 to pull this duty as well? more batteries maybe? installing "inland lakes and waterways" on a card? Is this gonna cost more than getting a whole new and different hiking type gps?

what gps has topo and inland lakes, rivers and streams? don't really need all the hwy stuff as my 478 has got all that.

the 478 does have a big plus in it's favor though, that nexrad weather radar. that would be all too handy on my backwater camping adventures!

dang, what to do? .....
and where to get more batteries? suggestions please!
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote