Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #16
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Excellent ride ! keep it coming !

You're from Munchen but there's a D on ur license plate ? Dortmund, Dusseldorf ?
I share your tastes for woman ;)
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #17
Undo
Undo

Oddometer: 39
Nice pics and info. We are planning a trip to Albania this autumn. In what period where you out there? Where did you get you GPS maps for Balkans, especially Albania?
Many thanks in advance.
Undo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
Undo
Undo

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos
Excellent ride ! keep it coming !

You're from Munchen but there's a D on ur license plate ? Dortmund, Dusseldorf ?
/thierry
One D is from Deutschland that's for sure :P
Undo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Ah! All these images of Albania, especially the Sarande - Vlore stretch. I remember it from September. It really is the "Final Frontier" in Europe. But it's westernising rapidly. I'd recommend any biker in Europe ride there, and ride there NOW.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo
One D is from Deutschland that's for sure :P
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #21
Andy G OP
2wheeled alpinist

Oddometer: 551
First of all, thanks to everybody for your kind words, thats what makes one write ride reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaoli
great ride, beautiful lady, what a pitty it's your ex-gf
indeed, though I'm the one who ended the relationship I still feel sad about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos
/thierry
The first D on the license is for Düsseldorf. I used to live there one year ago for two years for my job. The rest is just a number. Originally I'm from Munich, and I'm back there now, living in the eastern Munich outback in a small village called Neufinsing that nobody knows. In the next RR the license will say ED- for Erding, where the beer comes from.

About women: this kind of women is so hard to find, if you know a good source please let me know, I'll check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undo
Nice pics and info. We are planning a trip to Albania this autumn. In what period where you out there? Where did you get you GPS maps for Balkans, especially Albania?
Many thanks in advance.
We've been there the second week of September, I think earlier could be really hot. On the way home it became really cold, you'll see later when we come to the Slovenia / Austria part.
I didn't have any detailed maps for the GPS, just the Garmin Base Map which is more or less useless. We navigated the old fashioned way: with a map on the tank. I only had GPS maps for Austria, Italy and parts of Greece, all by Garmin.

Andy G screwed with this post 05-16-2009 at 03:27 PM
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #22
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
I'm in for this one!
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #23
Andy G OP
2wheeled alpinist

Now to go on with the story...

Somewhere near Stari Bar we stayed overnight. We were rather tired and were standing at the side of the road not sure how to go on. In the house next to us two young girls were sitting on the balcony watching us. In front we discovered a sign promising rooms for rent. It was pretty dark, around 11pm. One of the girls on the balcony shouted if we were looking for a room . Yeah! That's it. Ok, she said, she'll have to ask her uncle. Some minutes later she came down on the street, told us that the uncle agreed and that we'll have to wait till he arrives. We brought the bikes in their backyard and Mr. Uncle blocked them with two cars, just to be sure... We got a complete apartment in their house, including family life, with sea view, for 10€!!! If we would have had time, we would have stayed for an extra day. On the opposite side of the road, on the beach there were some stands selling burgers and beer. I got our food there and we sat on the roof of the house enjoying our meal and the warm night after a long days ride.

The next morning we headed south, leaving Serbia along the cost going to Croatia. The picture below is close to Klincj where a kind of Fjord cuts into the land an can be crossed with another ferry.

on the ferry

Even when beeing in the biggest hurry, you can't miss Dubrovink, so we took a short walk through the town.

magical conversion

it's the city of cats

I count 5 on this pic

the city beach, exceptionally we didn't swim

Here like any other place in the world the city kids have to strike out and provoke...

We decided that it would be nice to sleep on the beach the next night. Wasn't that easy at all, hard to find a place which did not belong to a hotel, marina, town, private... at the end of a beach near Split we came to one last bar, a small stone wall and behind a cove. We stayed at the bar for a beer, a nice place with camp fire, music, funny people. When we got tired we went into "our" cove, and we had hardly fallen asleep when a thunderstorm started. So we established a new record time in putting up the tent in complete darkness. The thunderstrikes were really impressive, you could feel them on the gound. When the second thunderstorm started one hour later I woke up and my first thought was that they started the war again and we were under fire. Nervermind, it was a great place and we had a nice swim before breakfast.

saddling the horses in the morning

After the thunderstorms the good weather period seemd to be over. It stayed dry till mid day.

Last rest in the warmth. In the afternood it became stormy and started to rain

In Slovenia we had to put on the rain clothes, and it became really chilly. In Novi I was so cold and wet that I refused to ride on of that day. Anita is the tougher one when it comes to cold. But she found us a nice private B&B, I was frozen so stiff that I hard could climb off my bike. Hot shower, food, sleep.

Our last day led us past Ljubljana over the Loibl pass, Villach and Salzburg back to Munich. From Villach on it was raining cats and dogs, the small thermometer in my cockpit showed 6°C (42F), and just 3 days ago we were complaining about 42°C (107F) in Albania. Wet to the bones and frozen we reached our hot bath in Munich.

Thanks for reading, c u on the road somewhere!

Cheers, Andy
Old 05-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #24
Andy G OP
2wheeled alpinist

Bikes and gear

Anita:
'03 BMW F650GS, approx. 40.000km, TKC80, BMW panniers. Nice Stadler riding pants, BMW boots, older Rukka jacket.

Andi:
'91 Honda Transalp, approx. 170.000km, TKC80, alu panniers with Hepcko & Becker racks, Fjell Raven trekking pants or simple leather trousers, Haix commando boots, Polo jacket

GPS: Garmin Quest with Euro basemap and details for Germany, Austria and Italy

Maps:
ADAC Länderkarte Kroatien, Bosnien-Herzegowina, Serbien und Montenegro, 1:650.000 (it's NOT the stuff you get for free from the ADAC)
Reise Know How Albanien, 1:220.000
RV Verlag (Euro Cart) Griechenland, 1:300.000

Tent: old Northface Chattanooga 3V, sleeping on Thermarest mats.

All equipment worked well. The old tent will be replaced soon (hopefully, so the money allows), and I never had any rain gear that kept me dry. Sooner or later you'll get a wet ass.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #25
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 836
Just one info. While you were in Stari Bar and Petrovac and just before Dubrovnik you were in Montenegro...not Serbia...

Goran69 screwed with this post 05-16-2009 at 03:33 PM
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #26
Andy G OP
2wheeled alpinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran69
Just one info. While you were in Stari Bar and Petrovac and just before Dubrovnik you were in Montenegro...nor Serbia...
You are surely right. I'm not completly up to date with the situation there, my map says it's Serbia and Montenegro, the different political maps I find on the internet all tell something different... We were crossing so many borders in these few days that I sure lost track of the names. Do you know a good and correct political map of the states of the former Yugoslavia?

Thanks for your input! I did not want to offend anybody.

Andy
Old 05-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #27
Goran69
MNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G
You are surely right. I'm not completly up to date with the situation there, my map says it's Serbia and Montenegro, the different political maps I find on the internet all tell something different... We were crossing so many borders in these few days that I sure lost track of the names. Do you know a good and correct political map of the states of the former Yugoslavia?

Thanks for your input! I did not want to offend anybody.

Andy

No No by all means no one is offended. Your ADAC map is just fine why would you care for the name of the country

This would do

http://www.nytimes.com/specials/bosn...tical.GIF.html
Old 05-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #28
Goran69
MNE

BTW its a great report and wonderful trip you had. I enjoyed in the view as much as those construction workers...
Old 05-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #29
Andy G OP
2wheeled alpinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran69
No No by all means no one is offended. Your ADAC map is just fine why would you care for the name of the country

This would do

http://www.nytimes.com/specials/bosn...tical.GIF.html
Sorry to contradict, the ADAC map is not fine anymore, time to retire it. I bought it in 2006, but there is not date on it when it was issued. There Serbia and Montenegro is one country... many thanks for the link, that's what I've been looking for quite some time. And I DO care about where I ride, at least I try to learn something... aehh... from time to time... Also that small stretch of Bosnia and Herzegowina confused me, for the first time when I was riding there in 2006, and last year again... you cross a border, ride 10 minutes and again cross a border . Many thanks for your comments!

Cheers, Andy
Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #30
Andy G OP
2wheeled alpinist

is that part north of Belgrade called Vojvodina also a souverein country? I never heard of it...