User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
kkug OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Ricochet Skid Plate F800GS

Has any one installed one and what do you think ?

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Nice find! I like to looks of it ALOT better than my adventure-spec one. If anyone gets one of these and is unhappy with it, I'd be willing to trade!
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
A problem I see with the ricochet skid plate: The trade off for having access to the oil drain plug is that there's no protection on the oil drain plug side. And it's funny, because with the plate still attached you can't remove the oil filter! So what's the point of giving access to the drain plug? When you do an oil change you have to remove both the drain plug and the oil filter. You can't do that with this plate while it's still on. Myself, I went with the BMW. I'd rather have a lot of protection and deal with taking it on and off every 3000 miles for an oil change.

Take a look at the Ricochet skid plate at this link. You'll see what I mean:
http://utahsportcycle.com/store/f800pic.htm

The BMW plate has heavy protection on both the left and right sides, and the heads of the bolts that hold it on don't stick out:

The Griz screwed with this post 04-12-2009 at 10:02 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,323
I have the BMW skid on my F800GS but I have Ricochets on my ATV. The Ricochets take a serious beating. If I had known they made one for the GS I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it over the BMW skid.
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,095
i also have the bmw plate griz, but i wouldnt classify it as "heavy" thats for sure. but it will do fine for what this bike is intended for. it wouldnt last a week on my 610 husky.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Well as for myslef, I don't plan on beating the engine of my F8GS on large rocks and logs all day. But in my opinion, the BMW plate could take it, and then some. I would classify the BMW plate as heavy duty. I've had aftermarket heavy duty skid plates on both of my KLR's. This BMW one fits right in. And it covers the front, sides, and bottom of the engine including the cat converter.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I've had aftermarket heavy duty skid plates on both of my KLR's. This BMW one fits right in.
Well there ya go, that about sums it up ha ?

Kidding ya Griz.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 170
Got the Ricochet skid plate on my 800 and like it a lot, it seems to be real heavy duty, easy to install, and if you had to remove it to pull the oil filter it would only take about 5 more minutes, a quick 4 bolts and it is off. You might only need to loosen the back bolts and let it hang down enough to clear the filter. I like some of the other skid plates, but you can't beat the price, plus they had an extra 10% off at christmas. A real good deal. Seems to have enough coverage and protection for me so far.

Here is a photo, I mounted a tool tube in front of the skid plate, so it is a little hard to see.
Attached Images

danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 AM   #9
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by danman
so it is a little hard to see.
No, it's a lot hard to see.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman
Here is a photo, I mounted a tool tube in front of the skid plate, so it is a little hard to see.
danman, I like that toolbox. Did you make it yourself? If not, where did you get it, especially the mounts.
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 170
Man, I found the tube at a garage sale in the rich part of town, it is actually a tube to hold fancy cigars, made of aluminum. Got it for $15 bucks and mounted it using a couple left over mounts I had from mounting a tube on my 1200GS.

I got the mounts from GT moto, they make a great product, but it is not cheap. They sell the mounts separately. Here is a link;

http://www.gtmoto.com/products/systems/default.aspx

Also there are some great inexpensive tool tubes from tractor supply, I think, made to hold tractor manuals. Try searching the site for tool tube threads.

I am thinking about painting the tube black, it came in that grey color.
I like the skid plate a lot, not the best coverage, but probably enough for me and a great price, easy to install/remove 4 bolts.

You can see better photos of the skid plate on the their website, here is a link;

http://utahsportcycle.com/store/f800pic.htm

and here is a photo;
Attached Images

danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
Mongo357
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I like the coverage of the BMW / Touratech plate, but I is actually cheap construction compared to the Ricochet plate. You can see in the pics up there that the BMW is made from three or four seperate peices of aluminum. They are 3mm thick, and only welded on the outside. The Ricochet plate is made from a single piece - some joints are bent, the rest are welded on BOTH sides. Plus the plate is 4.8mm thick (over 1.5x thicker), and doesn't have the weak spots of the BMW plate - i.e. the 1 inch weld between the vents. That is exactly where my plate cracked after 4,000 miles and no significant rock hits, death by vibration and a bad weld.

I do wish the Ricochet had more coverage on the left side, but I guess I'll just have to attack everything head on now ;)
Mongo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo357
I do wish the Ricochet had more coverage on the left side, but I guess I'll just have to attack everything head on now ;)
I just finished installing the Ricochet on my F8GS. I don't have experience with other skid plates other than the stocker (simply haven't seen any F8GS's in my area so far) so I can't judge or compare the LH side coverage issue.

From my limited experience I think the Ricochet will provide adequate protection for the drain plug, at least for the dual-sport riding I intend to do. The plate does provide good front and bottom protection with the cut-out allowing easy oil draining. I agree with Mongo357 that if you're changing the filter the plate comes off.

I probably should post a photo to show the coverage. I do believe that if you have an impact from the LH that defeats the bash plate coverage you're going to have some serious "other" crash issues. ;)

Edit: Here's a photo of how the Ricochet works with the drain plug. IMO the plug is well-protected with the way the plate curves up before & aft of the plug. Sorry for the poor photo.

blender screwed with this post 08-22-2009 at 06:39 PM
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
kkug OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I put one on a few months ago. Very beefy,easy to install.Anodized black, Excellent value.

I like.

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
The owner of Utah Sport Cycle used my F800GS as the pattern for the prototype skid-plate; that's my bike you see in the photos on their web site. In return for using my bike for a week, the first production plate was mounted on my bike when I picked it up from their shop in Salt Lake City.

In the 10 months since then, I've changed the oil numerous times. The previous posters are correct: you can change the oil without removing the plate, but not the filter. On the other hand, you can remove the front bolts and first set of bottom bolts then loosen the back pair and let the plate hang. The oil filter is accessible then. However, when you take off the filter, a bit of oil will drip onto the plate and quickly attract grit. I used this method only once.

After that, I remove the plate completely when changing the filter. There are six bolts to remove, 15mm I believe, and it takes no time really.