User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Q80GS OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bluhduh 2009 R1200GS ADV clutch failure

I have a 2009 R1200Gs Adventure and two weeks ago i got to ride on the bike for the first long trip from Kuwait To Jordan Covering 1400+km.
but on the last leg of my trip and after covering 650km I had a clutch failure.
when i use the Clutch after more the 50km there is no Pressure so you have hold and release the lever for five times or more to get some Pressure. guys there is no oil leakage from the outside.
the bike is in Amman Jordan now and has Total of 5000km on it.
any one had the same problem or now how to solve it as there is no BMW workshop in Jordan and now I am back in KUwait thinking of going with a truck and pick up my bike.
Q80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,249
It has air in it and needs to be bled.

Make sure you use the correct fluid.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
GS-A-Day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I had the same problem. They replaced the slave cylinder. Of course, they say this never happens, but there are a few reports on ukgser.com of this problem as well. We should keep and eye on it and see if it happens to others as well.

By the way, they way to test it is to zip-tie your clutch lever to the handle bar and let it sit over night. In my case, they could see a small leak at the slave cylinder, after also applying some heat with a hair dryer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
It has air in it and needs to be bled.

Make sure you use the correct fluid.
GS-A-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
If no external leak, I'd guess a clutch master cylinder. Not a difficult repair.
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Twisted Trader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
bad clutch

I had a similar problem on a 2004 R1100S. There was metallic-graphite looking stuff in the hydraulic fluid. Turns out that the long clutch shaft that engages the clutch to the slave cylinder was made out of some kind of cheap pot metal rather than stainless steel, and the shaft had a mushroomed end and was worn significantly. Of course this happened just after the 3 yr 30k warranty was up. Of course the dealer said that this never happened. Cost $2,000. Was a definately a faulty part. There was never any leaking fluid, that was noticible.
Twisted Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
I know the 09s have different hand guards then the earlier models but is it possible your hand guard has been touching the clutch lever? That can really mess up your clutch in a relatively short period of time
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #7
zitro79
BMW bitch

Oddometer: 179
Laugh

I am currently having the same problem with my bike. It started after 11,000km. I went to the dealer and they told me they have never heard of the problem (same as with GS-A-DAY). I booked an appointment and they are going to have a look at the slave cylinder. Luckily I am still under warranty!
zitro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
caggs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Replace the Slave cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-A-Day
I had the same problem. They replaced the slave cylinder. Of course, they say this never happens, but there are a few reports on ukgser.com of this problem as well. We should keep and eye on it and see if it happens to others as well.

By the way, they way to test it is to zip-tie your clutch lever to the handle bar and let it sit over night. In my case, they could see a small leak at the slave cylinder, after also applying some heat with a hair dryer.
Just got back from 6000km in a week on my new 09 GSA and the same thing happened for the last part of the trip. I put the bike in and they replaced the Slave Cylinder (under warranty). My service centre in Melbourne (and the one I stopped at in Albury who bled the clutch (which temporarily fixed the problem)) also mentioned that they havent heard of this happening. Not happy Jan....
caggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
2009 R12GSA Clutch Failure

This is a known problem. I had my clutch go away (4600 miles on the odometer) in southern NM and managed to get the bike to El Paso. BMW had put the wrong mineral oil in the clutch hydraulic system. Also, there is a factory bulletin that repositions the clutch line near the left footpeg. I had my slave cylinder replaced and the shop had to bleed the system several times to get all the air out. I just got back from a ride, NC to CO, doing about 4000 miles and the clutch was fine. I think the problem has been solved.

I've asked several dealers about the problem. Some say, "Yes, we've seen several cases," while others act as if they've never heard about it. I dunno.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
SteelRain
Beer Cooled

Oddometer: 301
ON the way back from a 3100 mile offroad ride, I had about 90 miles of road riding to get home. I droned along in 6th bored out of my mind I was going to stop by local BMW shop and share my ride...
when I went to take the exit I had the same issue. I cruised the last mile in 6th and coasted in.

The service guys were perplexed or appeared so. After a few minutes I just pumped the clutch about 40 times and got pressue back. They rebled several times and I have not had any issues since.

Some KTMs have this issue also.
SteelRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
proxyissues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
'09 GS adv with just under 19K km on it and have not experienced this. Just got back from a weekend trip out of province and no such symptoms.

Possibly you haven't dropped it enough to knock out the air bubbles from the clutch? :)
proxyissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Yep. Just got back this afternoon from a 4000 mile tour. I left with 800 miles on the bike, clutch started going away at 2500 miles. I bled it every time I stopped until I got to Big Sky BMW at Missoula. They said it was a common problem, and that the cylinder needed replacement. They didn't have one in stock, so they flushed the system and I left. The flush bought me about a day and a half, and then it was back to bleeding a couple of times a day.

By the time I got home, it was virtually unusable.....
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
'09 GSA Clutch Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded
Yep. Just got back this afternoon from a 4000 mile tour. I left with 800 miles on the bike, clutch started going away at 2500 miles. I bled it every time I stopped until I got to Big Sky BMW at Missoula. They said it was a common problem, and that the cylinder needed replacement. They didn't have one in stock, so they flushed the system and I left. The flush bought me about a day and a half, and then it was back to bleeding a couple of times a day.

By the time I got home, it was virtually unusable.....

Virtually the same mileage when the same problem happend to my bike.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,967
...worryin' me...I imagine things sometimes, but recently my '05 seems to have less pressure at the lever, the lever pulls alot farther than it feels like it should to disengage. I bled the line and replaced with mineral oil, doesn't seem much better though...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
slcycler
n00b

Oddometer: 1
My '09 Adventure is in the shop right now with exactly the same problem (5500 miles). Clutch started giving me problems on trip from Austin, Texas to New Mexico and the bike had about 3000 miles on it when I left Austin. Was able to get back home by pumping the clutch to get rid of air bubbles, but problem got much worse this past weekend with clutch engaging and killing the engine at stoplights when I had the clutch lever pull. Limped into Lonestar BMW yesterday and they are putting a new clutch master slave cylinder on it and they say that will solve the problem. Looks like this is a common problem with the new Adventures.
slcycler is offline   Reply With Quote