Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,242
09 GSA, I'm on a 6000 mile trip from east coast US to west and back and I have this same clutch problem as described here, very little pressure at the lever, goes away if I use the clutch a lot, fades out again on long runs. I am now in Bozeman, Montana and worried about finishing my trip. Any thoughts as to where I could go to have an emergency repair done, nearest useful BMW dealer to Bozeman, Montana ( I am headed West right now). Any help appreciated. I guess I should get some mineral oil fluid in case I need to bleed to make it home.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 AM   #17
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
2009 R1200GS ADV clutch failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik
09 GSA, I'm on a 6000 mile trip from east coast US to west and back and I have this same clutch problem as described here, very little pressure at the lever, goes away if I use the clutch a lot, fades out again on long runs. I am now in Bozeman, Montana and worried about finishing my trip. Any thoughts as to where I could go to have an emergency repair done, nearest useful BMW dealer to Bozeman, Montana ( I am headed West right now). Any help appreciated. I guess I should get some mineral oil fluid in case I need to bleed to make it home.

I feel your pain, brother, as I had the same problem in a remote part of New Mexico. The closest dealer to you is approximately 200 mile west in Missoula: Big Sky BMW-Kawasaki, 2315 South Ave West, Missoula, MT, (406) 728-5341.

When I had this problem, the pressure would generally return somewhat overnight as the air in the line rose. After a 100 miles, though, I had no pressure at all. I finally made it to El Paso where I called it quits. I had to refuel one time with absolutely no leaver pressure. I coasted to the pump, shut her down and refueled. To leave, I placed the bike on the center stand, hopped on, fired it up, dropped 'er into 1st and rocked her off the stand . . . . gone!

Good luck and keep us posted. By the way, if you're Garmin equipped, I can e-mail the dealer's location and you can drop it right in your unit.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #18
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Thanks for the fast response and info. With internet at my motel I was able to go online and find Big Sky BMW and sent them an email last night, and will call this morning as soon as they open. I hope I don't need your gas pump technique, but it's good to know there is a way. Of course putting the pig up on the center stand fully loaded with all the gear will be exercise! At this point (6:30 am local time, and I'm hungry and cranky, I am undecided on whether to go the 200 miles West, or turn around and head back towards home in the East (Nearest BMW dealer East is in Sturgis, where I can buy a HD :) I'll post again when I have an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc
I feel your pain, brother, as I had the same problem in a remote part of New Mexico. The closest dealer to you is approximately 200 mile west in Missoula: Big Sky BMW-Kawasaki, 2315 South Ave West, Missoula, MT, (406) 728-5341.

When I had this problem, the pressure would generally return somewhat overnight as the air in the line rose. After a 100 miles, though, I had no pressure at all. I finally made it to El Paso where I called it quits. I had to refuel one time with absolutely no leaver pressure. I coasted to the pump, shut her down and refueled. To leave, I placed the bike on the center stand, hopped on, fired it up, dropped 'er into 1st and rocked her off the stand . . . . gone!

Good luck and keep us posted. By the way, if you're Garmin equipped, I can e-mail the dealer's location and you can drop it right in your unit.

Mike
Old 08-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #19
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
At this point (6:30 am local time, and I'm hungry and cranky, I am undecided on whether to go the 200 miles West, or turn around and head back towards home in the East (Nearest BMW dealer East is in Sturgis, where I can buy a HD :) I'll post again when I have an update.

As a former H-D rider, I chuckled at the Sturgis remark! Bozeman ain't a bad place and I'm betting you can make it to Big Sky. If you've got no leaking, they'll probably just bleed the system. Mine took seven different attempts to get the air out. I've had no problems since then. Good luck!!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #20
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Update: God bless Big Sky BMW/Kawasaki: I arrived there at 11:30am from Bozeman after tearing along I-90 for 3 hours. I had sent an email late last night but was riding all morning. Of course today the clutch pressure was fine as it was cold out.

As soon as I walked in and said "low clutch lever pressure" the service manager asked, 2009 GSA?, yep, I said, and he said, probably clutch slave. They mentioned that my bike already had the clutch line reroute service applied which was news to me.

Took a walk for lunch and in an hour they called and said clutch slave it was, they will have parts tomorrow (Saturday) and will install in less than an hour. BTW: they will be replacing clutch slave AND master, as contamination is possible when the slave goes, per them. They will be replacing with the new part number (upgraded slave) and they knew about this before I could pipe in with my AdvRider based knowledge

I have to say big applause for this dealer service department....very professional and they are definitely on top of this issue...no fumbling around here.

I'll post a final report tomorrow or after a few days of riding, but it looks like the folks at Big Sky saved my 6000 mile 2x cross USA trip.

Thanks to all here that replied with info and support and to those who posted earlier issues so I could research WTF this was while sweating it out in my motel last night.

Glad this happened where it did, and not in BFE-Alaska/Mongolia/Africa.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:31 AM   #21
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,243
Glad to hear you found a knowledgeable dealer who cares !!!
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #22
tyandresen
Banned

Oddometer: 72
I had the same problem with my 07 GSA during a trip. A&S BMW in Roseville CA didn't have the clutch slave cylinder in stock, so they took one off a showroom bike and got me back on the road. Great service from a really good dealer.
tyandresen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Final update on clutch slave: looks like success, again thanks to Big Sky BMW and all of you who helped. Nice to have a working clutch again and no worries for the continuation of my trip. 3000 miles down, 3000 to go!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #24
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Final update on clutch slave: looks like success, again thanks to Big Sky BMW and all of you who helped. Nice to have a working clutch again and no worries for the continuation of my trip. 3000 miles down, 3000 to go!

That's very good news, Larry. I'm glad the Big Sky staff rolled out the red carpet for you. In my travels, I've always found the dealerships very willing to help travelers. It's just a shame BMW doesn't have more dealers. When I travel from NC to CA, I always "gulp" a little when I head west from San Antonio via the southern route, as my closest help is over 1000 miles away in Albuquerque.

Travel safely and keep having fun!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 09-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Dugly
n00b

Oddometer: 5
same problem, 2009GS Special Edition

I have the same problem, loss of clutch pressure, at 2,000 miles on my 2009RGS Special Edition. Solution: New master cylinder installed under warranty.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #26
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

No trace of leaking fluid when my slave went.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #27
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog
...was there any trace of fluid around the clutch area on any of these incidents?
I just noticed some slight weeping on the right side yesterday on my '05.
Freaks me out to think it might be a rear main seal....

This location (borrowed pic), but just lightly misted...
I would bet thats a rear main seal going south. Get to it before it ruins the friction disc.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #28
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman
I would bet thats a rear main seal going south. Get to it before it ruins the friction disc.
Given that it's an '05 I'd guess tranny input instead of rear main. But yeah, it needs fixing.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #29
vincentone
Vincentone

Oddometer: 3
Thumbs down GSA Clutch Failure

I just returned to Houston from a 3,000 mile ride on my 2009 GSA. About 500 miles into the trip I found that after about 50 miles on the highway the clutch would not disengage and the lever would go limp indicating air in the hydraulic system. If I would let the bike sit for a period of time I would get partial control of the clutch back and with repeated pumps on the lever I could get the bike in gear and get going again. I stopped in Kansas City at the BMW dealer and they also said they had never heard of such a problem and of course the clutch was operating fine at this point. I went ahead and finished the 3,000 mile trip by having to stop about every two hours to bleed the air out of the system and top off the reservoir. The system has no signs of leakage. I am now back in Houston and have called my dealer again and once more they tell me they have never heard of such a problem, but to bring it in and have "patience with them" until they can duplicate the problem. They say that they will not go forward on the basis of what may be written by experienced riders in ADVrider, but must diagnose the problem themselves. It is surprising BMW has not got a bulletin out on this problem; with all off the reported failures as seen on this thread alone. The problem is not only a nuisance to riders, but in certain circumstances it can create an acute safety issue.
vincentone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #30
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
I'm glad Big Sky got you back on the road. It was crazy reading your posts...I went through almost exactly the same scenario in June, except I was coming down toward Missoula from Kalispell. I stopped at the Harley/Ducati dealer and asked them if there was a BMW dealer in town. They pointed me to Big Sky. As soon as I rolled in and told the service manager my problem, he said "'2009 GSA? Probably clutch slave".

Couldn't agree more with your summary - great guys at Big Sky BMW.