Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #16
Laconic OP
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,719
I started practicing taking some shots while under weigh yesterday. It's a bit of a random luck proposition as I can't see the LCD while running the camera left handed. Someone needs to make a P&S with the shutter release on the left side.

Ronnie got a new Road Glide!

Jerry on the road...

The obligatory self portrait while operating a motorcycle.

I spotted a couple nice old birds at a refueling stop... Was the wrought iron "Roo-bar" an option that year?

Who was first with the vertical grill, Ford or Chevy?

'53 or '54? I should know, my dad is way into them...

This was pretty neat, I don't recall ever seeing one before.

I wonder what it was like to change a flat on the side of the road?

The body panels were amazingly damage free, but she's open to the weather. Anybody looking for a project?

This was the second Nash I've seen in a week. The other was in the grocery store parking lot last weekend; a really nice Metropolitan, Sea Foam Green and White. Didn't have my camera with me....
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #17
Perp
Museum Piece

Oddometer: 1,303
Ford appears to be a 1954. Grill gives it away. Body same as 1953.
My first car was a 1953 Ford.
Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Laconic OP
Hard Core

We did the Wade's Gap ride a couple of weeks ago and took a small detour to see John Gabel's tower at the top of the hill.

Saw this little feller at a rest stop.

The road gets a little narrow in spots.

Perched on a finger ridge of Cahas Mountain overlooking Wades Gap in Franklin County, Virginia, is John Gabel’s tower. Made of local creek rock with a sandwich of reinforced concrete between inner and outer faces, the stone base rises three stories before reaching the cabin level. A spiral staircase, attached to a 30-foot power pole winds its way up to the cabin. The still incomplete two-story cabin will have an eat-in kitchen surrounded by an outside deck with castle-like crenellations in the upright deck railing. Upstairs from the kitchen will be a bedroom and bath with a 360 degree view of the nearby mountains and valleys. Atop the bed and bath will be another deck. Gabel hopes to invite families or married friends to get away on short vacations to this unique retreat. Picnics, reunions, ice cream socials, and weddings are also possibilities. Gabel doesn’t mind the occasional drop in visitor.
Mr. Gabel first broke ground for the tower on April 29, 1993, and expects to complete the tower by about the summer of 2003. The diameter of the tower is 18 feet and when completed, it will stand 50 feet tall. The location of the tower is 2300 feet above sea level, and it has an amazing view of the surrounding area.

We just rode up for quick picture and back down again. His driveway may or may not be Electra Glide worthy.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
Laconic OP
Hard Core

So, back in February a few of us rode down to Key West, just to see what was there.

It was around 23 F when we left for warmer climes. We stopped after about two hours to rendezvous with Reid's brother, Sherwood (who soon came to be known as "Woody"). Ronnie took a little rest and soaked up some heat...

We slabbed it all the way down, stopping the first night around Jacksonville and the second night in Homestead. We arrived in Key West around noon of day three.

Ronnie and Jerry.

Woody, Tyler and Reid.

Here's Ronnie, savoring the moment....

and yours truly.

Tyler with dad Reid. These two are inseparable and Tyler's a real trooper.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
Laconic OP
Hard Core

We took lunch at the "Southernmost Beach".

Reid got a little sun on the trip down....

More to follow....
Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 AM   #21
Laconic OP
Hard Core

We spent the rest of the day looking around a little and settling in to our room.

We hit Duval St. the first night, had a few cold beverages, smoked a cigar and soaked up the sights. No pictures.

Spoke for a bit with an inmate named Dan (I think) on a KTM (I think) just in from the midwest. He said he is a site sponsor here. Hey, Dan.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:21 AM   #22
Laconic OP
Hard Core

The next day was spent mostly on foot wandering around somewhat aimlessly, being tourists.

It's pretty impressive that a house built in 1829 is still standing, right in the path of who knows how many storms...

We visited mile marker 0 on Rt. 1.....

and the Kapok tree.

Tyler is skilled in the art of the "salute".

Old 07-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #23
Laconic OP
Hard Core

I spotted this design in the sidewalk, anyone know the significance?

I was told this is a Ficus. It's not like the one you have in your office...

We visited the Key West Lighthouse, very pretty and well maintained.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
Laconic OP
Hard Core

The lighthouse visit was followed by some more wandering...

One of the famous Key West chickens was gracious enough to pose for a shot...

Some folks don't like having their picture taken, I guess.

You people have some weird trees down there...

We ventured further down toward the docks.

We saw the Lost Mariner's Memorial.

And took a look around the waterfront.

Key West was much different than I expected. I was especially surprised at how few beaches there were; I expected white sand all the way around. There's certainly plenty of nightlife if that's your bag.

All in all, it's an interesting place to see. The nicest views of the whole area were along the bridges traveling from Key to Key and it was neat to see the old railroad trestles beside the new road bridges.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #25
OldSchoolMike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Thumb Great stuff!

Some great photos! Key West has changed since I've been there (about twenty-five years ago ).

I'd love to see more about North Carolina. I'm leading a group of friends for a week in western North Carolina and would hate to miss anything good!

Thanks for posting-

Mike
OldSchoolMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #26
Laconic OP
Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMike
Some great photos! Key West has changed since I've been there (about twenty-five years ago ).

I'd love to see more about North Carolina. I'm leading a group of friends for a week in western North Carolina and would hate to miss anything good!

Thanks for posting-

Mike
I have been to the western end of the the state probably 8 or 10 times in the last six years. I have yet to be disappointed by anything. Get a DeLorme Gazetteer, pick a squiggly road and enjoy.

Of course you'll go to Deal's Gap. Do it on Tuesday or Wednesday, traffic is OK then.

Check out Mt. Mitchell. That will get you some of the BRP as well. Try Hwy. 80 from Marion north until it ends, then hit 226A for a while. If you go to the Linville Gorge area, ride 221 along the BRP as well as the BRP itself.

Don't plan any long distances on the BRP; it can get boring after a couple of hours (IMO).

The word is, Cades Cove is best avoided during summer vacation, traffic can be a nightmare (I've been told, never tried it). Best to avoid Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge too, although the Smokey Mountain Knife Works is well worth the effort.

Give a shout if you get over to the Peidmont Triad.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #27
Laconic OP
Hard Core

After we left the Keys we hopped on Hwy. 41 west on our way to Naples. We stopped at the Fakahatchee Strand state park and had a walk on the boardwalk.

I tried to get all artsy and took a bunch of pictures along the boardwalk.

This is a Strangler Fig. They invade and live off the host tree until the host eventually dies.

The Bald Cypress lives here as well.

And various other flora and fauna...

The ride across south central Florida was neat, somewhat "Serengeti" like in appearance. I wish I had insisted on more photo stops...

We spent a night in Naples and then visited here briefly the next day.

The gulf coast is pretty...

I think we all had a good time...

We spent the next day trying to outrun a big winter storm rolling in from the northwest. We got to Darlington, SC just as it started to rain. The next morning we headed out in a warm, steady rain. By the time we got home the temperature was down to about 42F and it was raining hard.

That's the only rain we had for the whole trip, so who's complaining?
Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #28
Laconic OP
Hard Core

And Then I Went to Maine for Memorial Day...

Old 09-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #29
Laconic OP
Hard Core

By the end of May we were ready for another road trip. I hadn't seen the folks for a while, so kind of spur of the moment I headed out. I slabbed it all the way up, 700 miles the first day and the remaining 350 the next.

The first order of business was to attend the Memorial Day parade; It's nice to see this is still going on, although it doesn't seem quite as fantastic as it did when I was little.

The "Mack" was the modern equipment when I was a tyke.

The guy who rides this has had a Black Lab ever since I can remember. The current one rides in the hack with him. Sorry, no pics....

This is where I was "edumahcated". I don't know if it all took or not...

Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #30
Laconic OP
Hard Core

We Had a Couple of Those Perfect Spring Days.

So I went for a ride around the bay.

Visited South Blue Hill.

This is The Falls Bridge. The tide runs in and out through this narrow inlet at a pretty good rate. We jumped off the top of this a few times, years ago... It doesn't look too high, until you're in midair over the water.

This shows the water running in to the Salt Pond as the tide is near high.