User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #1
evermore OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Wicked Most ADV-ready bike out of the box

To get my DR650SE ready for my trip from SF to Argentina, I had to make extensive changes and it worked out well enough. I am wondering though what would be the least effort solution?

We all know almost any bike can be adventurized when money is no object and/or ingenuity is overflowing.

What bike can I just throw on saddlebags/panniers, mount a GPS, and go for 30k+ miles (think 50% paved, 40% dirt/forest trails/ 10% off-roading) and not worry about anything major failing on me? (buying someone else's farkled bike does not count for the purpose of this thread though that is obviously a solution) =)
evermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,926
It clearly depends on the definition of "Adventure".

The DR comes close, right out of the box. But you added a screen that helps with freeway riding, and a bigger tank and luggage rack. Now it's as heavy as a KLR (not really, but it's getting there) which prolly is the only adventure ready bike out there...unless you want 550 lbs of electronic complexities and potential headaches.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the DR, but I've never ridden one with windscreen, rack and big tank.

JustKip screwed with this post Yesterday at 06:38 AM
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #3
Buliwyf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Sf to Argentiina?

KTM Adventure 990 or 950. A 690 sure would be fun in If you pack light, really light.
Buliwyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #4
windblown101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
30K miles of mixed surface riding without a hiccup on a bike big enough to carry a fair amount of gear well? Almost any bike with more than one cylinder, spoked wheels and a fair amount of suspension travel would probably do it just fine.

If I were playing the odds and reliability was my top priority I'd likely stick with something made on the island of Japan. Not to say the euro brands wouldn't have their advantages and couldn't do it without a hiccup. But if I had to bet money on which bike could do it with nothing but gas, oil, tires and an occasional airfilter swap I'd bet on the Japanese every time.

windblown101 screwed with this post Yesterday at 02:08 PM
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #5
evermore OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
Sf to Argentiina?

KTM Adventure 990 or 950. A 690 sure would be fun in If you pack light, really light.
I did SF to Argentina before, am thinking more along the lines of what else I have left out and still needs to be done ;)

The 690 seems to take a lot of prep. The 990 is definitely the direction I'm thinking, alas, you can't buy them new anymore..
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #6
evermore OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
30K miles of mixed surface riding without a hiccup on a bike big enough to carry a fair amount of gear well? Almost any bike with more than one cylinder, spoked wheels and a fair amount of suspension travel would probably do it just fine.

If I were playing the odds and reliability was my top priority I'd likely stick with something made on the island of Japan. Not to say the euro brands wouldn't have their advantages and couldn't do it without a hiccup. But if I had to bet money on which bike could do it with nothing but gas, oil, tires and an occasional airfilter swap I'd bet on the Japanese every time.
I like the previous suggestion of the KTM 990 as that's a pretty proven choice. Maybe a V-Strom comes close? Though at least from my incomplete knowledge so far, the Triumph 800xc and BMW F800GS are pretty reliable as well, if a bit heavy for the performance they deliver.

Well, whatever I do, keeping weight down is key. Last time, I traveled with a total volume of about 70l but I never actually weighed but I am guessing that it was about 40 lbs so let's be generous and make it 60 lbs next time around.

evermore screwed with this post Yesterday at 03:06 PM
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #7
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Not really "out of the box", but I'd have to go with the new Suzuki DL1000.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #8
Buliwyf
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
The 990 is definitely the direction I'm thinking, alas, you can't buy them new anymore..
Exactly. Hopefully they're all sorted.

I wouldn't take a brand new KTM anywhere. So unless you have a year or two before your big trip, the KTM 1190 R is out. Even BMW and Ducati are more reliable.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #9
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Man, I'd take a DRZ-400 and put about $1,500 into mods, max. But, that's just me.

Ever try picking up a big ADV bike before? Alone?
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #10
Buliwyf
Adventurer

I've always thought of my DRZ as a short range bike.

8 hours or less a weekend. Not very comfy at all. And you'd still have to pack light. But it would spank the Uber ADV bikes in the offroad stuff.

The KTM Adventure 1190 is 478 pounds heavy.
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #11
evermore OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Not really "out of the box", but I'd have to go with the new Suzuki DL1000.
The V-Strom definitely seems like a sensible choice but then the really sensible choice is the DR650SE. Ultimately, I'll definitely have to ride it some day =)