Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #1591
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
When I went to Ohio and met suburban suicide deer I finally understood why Americans ask... - No, we do not have kangaroos hopping down the streets in suburban Australia. 8-)
Want some deer?

mark - in Ohio

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #1592
IRideASlowBike
Banned

Oddometer: 1,786
A couple days ago, in a parking lot in New Paltz NY, a man and his wife came up to me and complimented me on my bike. The man then said, "is that a Triumph?"

Don't see how you can confuse my Jap Harley clone for a Triumph...

He then said, "is it really old, or is it meant to look old?" I told him it was just meant to look old, but that it was a '99
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #1593
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
Want some deer?

mark - in Ohio
When my friend from Ohio was out here in Aus we did a fair bit of sightseeing. Now we actually have feral Sambar deer in the mountains east of Melbourne, but I'd certainly never seen one. My mental concept of a deer was pretty much what you've got eating your gardens and trying to take down motorcyclists in Ohio.

So when we came around a corner on a winding dirt road near Gembrook and found ourselves face to face with a Sambar deer the size of a horse standing at the edge of the road, I was stunned - and she was "meh, it's a deer, where are the kangaroos?".

Graham

Sambar deer in Australia.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #1594
Eso Teric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez
When my friend from Ohio was out here in Aus we did a fair bit of sightseeing. Now we actually have feral Sambar deer in the mountains east of Melbourne, but I'd certainly never seen one. My mental concept of a deer was pretty much what you've got eating your gardens and trying to take down motorcyclists in Ohio.

So when we came around a corner on a winding dirt road near Gembrook and found ourselves face to face with a Sambar deer the size of a horse standing at the edge of the road, I was stunned - and she was "meh, it's a deer, where are the kangaroos?".

Graham

Sambar deer in Australia.
Nice, just checked out the link, now i only have to worry about roo's .. rock wallabys, (least they're not as big as the ones in WA), rabbits, foxes, wombats and koalas (when i get some more time i will post a pic of that one), now Sambars, as well as cars, i love the challenge

Anonymous
-Modern society is forcing the Darwinian process to become redundant

Eso Teric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #1595
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike
Don't see how you can confuse my Jap Harley clone for a Triumph...
Triumph makes some cruisers that I confuse with Jap/HD cruisers at a glance. The Triumph America is one that comes to mind. Obviously once I see the engine the confusion is gone, but from an obtuse angle or from the front/back sometimes it's hard to tell.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #1596
mi500
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
i was eating some wings and the girl seeing my helmet and jacket asked me "what do you ride" and before i could answer she said "like a motorcycle or a crotch rocket?"

i just said "its in-between a cruiser and a crotch rocket" the puzzled look on her face was great.

89 CR500R
mi500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #1597
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi500
i was eating some wings and the girl seeing my helmet and jacket asked me "what do you ride" and before i could answer she said "like a motorcycle or a crotch rocket?"

i just said "its in-between a cruiser and a crotch rocket" the puzzled look on her face was great.
+1 Yep, been there!
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #1598
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi500

I keep reading here about this "crotch-rocket" thing. I don't hear it in Britain, but maybe that's because I don't know any Harley-DavidsonTM owners. It seems to be a derogatory name. Rather than acquiesce to it, then, would it not be better to turn it round? Why not respond, "I don't know, what's a crotch-rocket?" The questioner will then be required to say something along the lines of..." Good handling, good brakes, good suspension, fast, reliable". That's just taken the wind out of his sails then.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:53 AM   #1599
Eso Teric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
I keep reading here about this "crotch-rocket" thing. I don't hear it in Britain, but maybe that's because I don't know any Harley-DavidsonTM owners. It seems to be a derogatory name. Rather than acquiesce to it, then, would it not be better to turn it round? Why not respond, "I don't know, what's a crotch-rocket?" The questioner will then be required to say something along the lines of..." Good handling, good brakes, good suspension, fast, reliable". That's just taken the wind out of his sails then.
I think, although not 100% on this, that a "crotch rocket" is a "rice burner" what you and i would normally hear as a term, and yes i guess it could be derogatory, if you owned a Hayabusa though you could then turn around and mention that it does over 300km/h (186 mp/h), has approximately 172HP at the rear wheel, weighs in at about 260kg or 573lbs, redlines at 11,000 RPM has a rear wheel bigger than most off roaders and that the acceleration feels like you have "rockets attached to your crotch" and is certainly not for boys.

It may look something like this ....

Of course i could be wrong on what a "crotch rocket" is

After all it might look like this ...

Anonymous
-Modern society is forcing the Darwinian process to become redundant

Eso Teric screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 04:00 AM
Eso Teric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 AM   #1600
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
Different biking culture over here. A "crotch rocket" is just a cute name for a sport bike, though as you see here, it is often used by the uninformed for ll non-crusier type bikes. It's not derogatory at all. just overused and starting to sound stupid to the ears of most riders. Its been used so long that, i think some of the people described think it really is a type of bike.

Sometimes it is said with derision, but only because they only consider cruisers to be real bikes......its what a bike looks like in their mind when they imagine it and the cruiser is central to American riding culture....no big deal really.

"Rice Burner" is meant to be derogatory, though it has been taken back somewhat. Afterall Japanese is no longer synonomous with cheap, it has been accepted as high quality even if resented by certain flag waiving types.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #1601
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Most people in my area refer to just about anything not a cruiser or dirt bike as a crotch rocket. They even call my Strom a crotch rocket.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #1602
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
I've also heard a lot of non-moto types use Ninja as a generic term for anything short of a Goldwing that has plastic on it.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #1603
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
I hear Ninja and Crotch-rocket used interchangeably to refer to any sporty faired motorcycle. And they expect the riders are either racing or stunting. Thats why I hesitate to mention I ride a Ninja 250. Most non-motorcyclist think it is the equivalent of a Hayabusa or a ZX-10.
Too many squids around.

My ninja is called a crotch rocket regularly both by people who have seen it without knowing the model, or by those who I have told I ride a Ninja 250.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #1604
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,672
I'm usually told I don't look or act like a guy who rides a crotch rocket. (I have a Ninja 250)

But I guess you know why they call them stereotypes........cause they're true most of the time....
Old 04-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #1605
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill
Different biking culture over here. A "crotch rocket" is just a cute name for a sport bike, though as you see here, it is often used by the uninformed for ll non-crusier type bikes. It's not derogatory at all. just overused and starting to sound stupid to the ears of most riders. Its been used so long that, i think some of the people described think it really is a type of bike.

Sometimes it is said with derision, but only because they only consider cruisers to be real bikes......its what a bike looks like in their mind when they imagine it and the cruiser is central to American riding culture....no big deal really.

"Rice Burner" is meant to be derogatory, though it has been taken back somewhat. Afterall Japanese is no longer synonomous with cheap, it has been accepted as high quality even if resented by certain flag waiving types.
And similar responses.
Ah, this changes things somewhat. But are you sure you don't think "Crotch rocket" is (or at least, started life as) a derogatory term? You might well not regard it as an insult, because you are quite happy with your watercooled, plastic-faired modern machine (as am I). It's just that, reading through this thread in particular, most of the people asking about your "crotch rocket" seem to be doing so in a snide way.

I suppose the term could have become so common that other people will use it without thinking it's an insult (in which case, it clearly isn't meant as an insult). Maybe the best thing to do is try to judge whether the person using it is just making conversation, or trying to be snide. And respond appropriately. I daresay that goes for many of the "stupid" and other comments listed on this thread.

I do think though, that when someone uses a name like "crotch rocket" or anything else in an insulting way, the best way to respond is to feign ignorance. It tends to make the correspondent dig himself into a hole - or give up. It's a technique that can be used in other situations - a couple of times, on tour in foreign lands, I have felt I was being shaken down for a bribe. Rather than saying "no" and risking annoying the bribe-seeker, which would likely lead to more hassle, I just pretended I didn't understand. Whether I was right, and whether the ignorant technique worked, I don't know for sure. But I didn't pay any bribes.

PS I take your point that terms like "Rice Burner", whilst originally invented as terms of abuse, can over time be "taken back". Maybe this is what has happened in America with "crotch rocket". For some people anyway.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote