Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #226
Lee Keller King
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 678

And remember, that old geezer who wants to tell you the story about crashing his Indian 40 years ago could be YOU some day!

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper
You guys need to get over yourselves...
I often get approached by people, and yeah, normally they open with kinda' dumb or redundant questions. BUT, I have heard some really cool motorcycling stories from old timers, learned about new places to ride (on and off road), been invited to go riding (going on a group ride in two weeks), rode a couple or really nice looking gals around the block on separate occasions (one of which calls me occasionally for another ride), found a couple of really good deals on "barn bikes", gotten job offers, etc...
Sometimes the people I meet aren't worth fooling with, but for the most part I get a big kick out of the gas station conversations. I like reading their faces too, the young guy drooling over my dirty bike or the old man who, in his mind, gets sent back many years to his days riding his BSA through the fields (and all the hell raising of his youth!). It's all cool, I'll talk to everyone of 'em.

...or something like that.

---------------------------------------------
1982 Honda Nighthawk CB650SC ("Bikey")
2001 Yamaha VStar 650 ("Vera")
1970 Kawasaki H1 (500cc 2-stroke triple) (long gone but not forgotten)
Lee Keller King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #227
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Keller King

And remember, that old geezer who wants to tell you the story about crashing his Indian 40 years ago could be YOU some day!

Lee
Besides, there aren't any stupid questions, although there are a lot of perfectly good questions wasted by stupid people.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #228
mmg781
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I heard a whopper from the receptionist at my office...I rode my V-Strom to work and walked into the office wearing an armored mesh jacket and holding my full-face helmet.

Receptionist, "Oh, are you going to ride your bike at lunch?"

Me (slightly puzzled), "Yeah, most likely."

R, "My husband just brought our bikes back from Florida."

M, "That's cool, what kind of bikes do you ride?"

R, "Oh, some type of mountain bikes, I don't know."

M (really puzzled), "um...nice..."

Come to find out, she saw a coworker drive in with a bicyle on his roof rack just moments before I walked in the door. I figured the OBVIOUS motorcycle riding gear would have been a giveaway...but no. After lunch she asked me if I rode my bike, and I told her, "I did...you know...I rode my motorcycle in today" R, "Oh, that's why you gave me that funny look this morning!"
mmg781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #229
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
Got this today from the pretty young thing who took my money at Meanards for some household odds and ends:

PYT:
"Ooh, you drive a motorcycle?"

Me:
"Uhh, yeah..." (no, this helmet and armored gear is just in case I trip...)

PYT:
"I'm too scared -- you're all exposed to everything."

Me:
"Ha ha! Well, that's kind of the whole point of riding..."

PYT:
"My daddy rode a motorcycle one time when I was little, and he said it scared him to death and he wasn't ever going to do that again."

Me:
"Umm... "

The strange part is that not ten minutes later, I get the same damn thing, nearly verbatim, from another PYT when I'm buying a burrito for lunch.
Dude, you're obviously abstinant or oblivious...So where do you live??
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #230
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Criminal biker element

I've been resisting posting in this thread because I get a lot of dumb comments/questions and wouldn't know where to start... however today I got a really good one, so here we go.

Taking off my helmet in the parking lot at work this morning, one of our secretary comes up and is *extremely* impressed by the bike (very nice, older, somewhat conservative, matronly lady). Ooooh! que c'est beau and all that (basically "what a nice bike"). This was pretty funny, and then we get to chatting.

She says she didn't know I rode a motorcycle, and I respond that when I rode my bicycle to work (which is how I commuted until last year) I never got so many reactions. We chat some more, during which I say that I rode motorcycles when I was younger (I am the stereotypical "returning rider") to which she asks (in French):

(drum roll now because here's the "stupid question")

"Were you a Hells Angel?"

As funny as this is (I don't in any way match the stereotype - in fact there is some irony here relating to a previous LE job) it drives me nuts that in Quebec, motorcycles are absolutely synonymous with the Hells. I guess it shouldn't be surprising, since there was a really violent "biker war" here in the 90's. Also there was a huge police op here a couple of weeks ago that broke up a number of cells - after this one of my neighbors asked if I was in hiding (because of my GS).

Still, never before has a mode of transportation been so laden with meaning. I suppose I should just enjoy the notoriety, but it's really not my thing.

P
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #231
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR
Dude, you're obviously abstinant or oblivious...So where do you live??

Both. I'm married...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #232
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Keller King

Lee
Back around 1985 we had a guy who came in the bike shop one day that told us about someone he'd heard of who had the top of his head lopped off when his BMW threw a chain!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #233
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53
Back around 1985 we had a guy who came in the bike shop one day that told us about someone he'd heard of who had the top of his head lopped off when his BMW threw a chain!
Maybe it was the cam chain...

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #234
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,698
OK, if this thread is about stupid questions paople ask, then here's just ONE of MY stories... (of which there are many!)

I used to ride a VERY rat 1946 H-D knucklehead. Ran like a top, but looked like a bottom (I actually had a seat made from an old innertube with duct tape wrapped around it!) Seriously, bailing wire and duct tape were in full use on this old girl.

I used to take these solo trips from central Wisconsin, up into the UP in Michigan. Quiet solo trips to let my brain ventilate.
On a lovely Saturday morning, way out in the middle of nowhere UP, I stopped for gas at one of the classic old gas stations. (old awning over the pumps, bottled 'soda' in a cooler alongside another cooler stocked with nightcrawlers...you get the picture)

So I got my gas, went inside to pay and buy a soda. When I came back outside, there were these two young boys on their bicycles checking out my bike...which was fully loaded with a weeks worth of camping gear.

The one kid asks, "hey mister...does this motorcycle even run???"
...to which I replied with a sly grin "sure!", and fired her up with one kick!

"WOW" they both exclaimed!!! "I'll bet you built this thing", the one kid sais.
"You bet I did" I tell him. ..............."Yea?" he sais......."well, I KIN TELL!!!"

(I wasn't sure whether to punch him in the head, or kiss him on the mouth!!!) hahaha...from the mouths of babes!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #235
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
Both. I'm married...
HaHaHa LOL, Just Kidding, I had a PYT in a delightfully overstressed tank top giving me the eye last night at the gas station (helmet on). Bruce Springsteens "Glory Days" playing in the background of my inner monologue.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #236
Grendel
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 2,116
"Doesn't that get hot?"

Full gear, sun and 100+ degrees.

Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #237
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
Funny the mention of the PYT.

Last night, in the check-out line at Safeway, me wearing a lightly rashed Alpinestar jacket.

" Is your motorcycle Fast ? " from the 20-ish girl at the register.
" Ah, well it's a 1000cc Ducati, so yeah, it'll go about as fast as you tell it to."
"My brother had a really fast one, I liked going for rides on it, until he hurt his leg, then he had to shift by reaching down with his hand because he couldn't bend his knee...."
"Sounds like some of the crazy stuff we used to do - you ride safe now..."

ah, youth...
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #238
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46
OK, if this thread is about stupid questions paople ask, then here's just ONE of MY stories... (of which there are many!)

I used to ride a VERY rat 1946 H-D knucklehead. Ran like a top, but looked like a bottom (I actually had a seat made from an old innertube with duct tape wrapped around it!) Seriously, bailing wire and duct tape were in full use on this old girl.

I used to take these solo trips from central Wisconsin, up into the UP in Michigan. Quiet solo trips to let my brain ventilate.
On a lovely Saturday morning, way out in the middle of nowhere UP, I stopped for gas at one of the classic old gas stations. (old awning over the pumps, bottled 'soda' in a cooler alongside another cooler stocked with nightcrawlers...you get the picture)

So I got my gas, went inside to pay and buy a soda. When I came back outside, there were these two young boys on their bicycles checking out my bike...which was fully loaded with a weeks worth of camping gear.

The one kid asks, "hey mister...does this motorcycle even run???"
...to which I replied with a sly grin "sure!", and fired her up with one kick!

"WOW" they both exclaimed!!! "I'll bet you built this thing", the one kid sais.
"You bet I did" I tell him. ..............."Yea?" he sais......."well, I KIN TELL!!!"

(I wasn't sure whether to punch him in the head, or kiss him on the mouth!!!) hahaha...from the mouths of babes!
My 13 year old R1100GS doesn't look much better than your old knucklehead. Ok, maybe a little better, but I do have electrical tape over my speedomenter (broken), and a few rolls of duct tape on important things like my cylinder head and both hand protectors. Baling wire holds the fuel lines where they're supposed to be. My side cases used to be tied on with parachute cord.

People often ask if I've ever taken any trips on it. I never know what to say.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #239
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebenshikov
Punk 15-year-old smokin' a butt in front of a c-store with his girlfriend who was a full head taller than him:

"Do a wheelie."

"No."

Faceshield down, engine started, perfectly tame exit. I turn 37 this year but I don't feel it until I get irritated by idiot teenagers. Jesus... Thirty-seven? Really?
39 here, race numbers on a KTM, I pull in to a gas station on the back wheel.

15 yr old looks at me and says "aren't you a little old to be ridin' a dirt bike".
Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #240
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
My 13 year old R1100GS doesn't look much better than your old knucklehead. Ok, maybe a little better, but I do have electrical tape over my speedomenter (broken), and a few rolls of duct tape on important things like my cylinder head and both hand protectors. Baling wire holds the fuel lines where they're supposed to be. My side cases used to be tied on with parachute cord.

People often ask if I've ever taken any trips on it. I never know what to say.
Oh man...I'd LOVE to see some pics of it!!! Sounds 'user-friendly!!"

btw...I waz raised in Appleton

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote