Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #4396
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,297
Thumb Guessed right the first time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
Because then we and our horses would be very confused when we tried to get on them.

Actually an interesting question.
You got it in one!

The reason we mount a bike from the left, is because it is/was an extension of horsemanship. The kickstand being on the left just facilitates this.
The same reason we have "saddlebags" and the seats are/were covered on leather.
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #4397
Alijonny
ADVENTURERERERERERER

Oddometer: 129
When I got my M endorsement on my license, the girl at the DMV was running down the list of yes/no nutcase questions and got to the organ donor part.
Girl: "would you like to become an organ donor?"
Me: "no, thank you."
Girl: "of course not, you ride a motorcycle!"

Wtf? She kept her trap shut after that and I didn't respond to it. Paid my $10 and went on my way.
Alijonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #4398
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
The reason we mount a bike from the left, is because it is/was an extension of horsemanship. The kickstand being on the left just facilitates this.
This is why I asked the question - you see I don't get on from the left because of anything to do with horses.

I get on from the left because that's the side of the bike closest to the curb!

When I ride an aggy bike with two side stands, I use the left one, because when I park with the back of the bike into the left curb, that's the way the bike leans. A bike would fall off a right side stand if parked how most of us park on the road in Australia; anywhere between parallel to through 45 degrees, to perpendicular to the curb, back wheel in the gutter, front wheel turned left and pointing in the direction of the traffic flow, with the bike leaning left due to the camber of the road.

Now this is cute, I went to google image for a photo of parked bikes and discovered that of course you don't park like we do - your bikes would fall over! Every photo I could find of bikes parked on the right side of the road, back wheel in, was of bikes parked at 90 degrees to the curb. If the bike faces any closer to straight down the road than that, the camber of the road defeats the side stand.

Here's a good example of how it's typically done here:

Notice how the left side of the bike is down the camber, so you can face the bike as close in as you like to reduce how far it sticks out?

So, do you guys park wrong because you don't have the correct side stand; or do you not have a right side stand because you don't park "right"?

And does that count as a stupid question? (I think not...)
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #4399
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
This is why I asked the question - you see I don't get on from the left because of anything to do with horses.

I get on from the left because that's the side of the bike closest to the curb!

When I ride an aggy bike with two side stands, I use the left one, because when I park with the back of the bike into the left curb, that's the way the bike leans. A bike would fall off a right side stand if parked how most of us park on the road in Australia; anywhere between parallel to through 45 degrees, to perpendicular to the curb, back wheel in the gutter, front wheel turned left and pointing in the direction of the traffic flow, with the bike leaning left due to the camber of the road.

Now this is cute, I went to google image for a photo of parked bikes and discovered that of course you don't park like we do - your bikes would fall over! Every photo I could find of bikes parked on the right side of the road, back wheel in, was of bikes parked at 90 degrees to the curb. If the bike faces any closer to straight down the road than that, the camber of the road defeats the side stand.

Here's a good example of how it's typically done here:

Notice how the left side of the bike is down the camber, so you can face the bike as close in as you like to reduce how far it sticks out?

So, do you guys park wrong because you don't have the correct side stand; or do you not have a right side stand because you don't park "right"?

It's because we are in the northern hemisphere and the directions our toilets flush.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #4400
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
... So, do you guys park wrong because you don't have the correct side stand; or do you not have a right side stand because you don't park "right"?

Man, there are places here - most of them probably - where if you park more than one vehicle in a designated "parking space" you get a ticket! One parking meter, one vehicle; it's a big waste of space and money but that's the way it is.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:01 AM   #4401
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Man, there are places here - most of them probably - where if you park more than one vehicle in a designated "parking space" you get a ticket! One parking meter, one vehicle; it's a big waste of space and money but that's the way it is.
So if I park my 18 wheeler and take up 5 spaces, I only have to pay one meter............yea right. Just a wannabee meter maid being a prick to ticket several bikes in one space IMHO. Another money grab/hidden tax.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #4402
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,021
In Capitola you can park as many in one space as you can get to fit. BUTTTTT They all have to have one tire touching the curb
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #4403
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,383
At lunch with a bunch of adv riders. Nice bikes outside. Triumph XC. BMW GS. DL 650., Yamaha 1200 dualsport and my R1100RT . One of the GS riders told me I ride a girls bike. I just smiled. About 9 bikes total.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #4404
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by zDollar Bill View Post
Guy getting in his car says, "Shouldn't that be a Harley?"
I've had that said to me, too! And I was ready. I just smiled a bit and shot back, "Shouldn't that be a Mercedes?" He smirked/smiled a little, but didn't reply as he got in his vehicle.

(Guy was driving an older and obviously worn Ford minivan. If it was truly representative of his economic status, a MB wasn't in his future.)
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #4405
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 958
^^
Good one!!
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #4406
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
At lunch with a bunch of adv riders. Nice bikes outside. Triumph XC. BMW GS. DL 650., Yamaha 1200 dualsport and my R1100RT . One of the GS riders told me I ride a girls bike. I just smiled. About 9 bikes total.

Sue Fish would have given him a beat down.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #4407
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
In Capitola you can park as many in one space as you can get to fit. BUTTTTT They all have to have one tire touching the curb
In Denver it used to be illegal to park more than one motorcycle in a space:

Sec. 54-435(b) A person may stand or park a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or motorizedbicycle at an angle to the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of lawful traffic movementin which such vehicle could proceed if it were to move forward; except:

(1) That it shall be unlawful for any person to stand or park a motorcycle, motor-drivencycle or motorized bicycle in a metered space already occupied by a parked motorcycle, motor driven cycle or motorized bicycle; and

(2) That it shall be unlawful for any person to stand or park a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle ormotorized bicycle at such an angle with the edge of the roadway, that any part of such vehicleprotrudes into the roadway at a distance from the edge of the roadway greater than the width ofany motor vehicle that is lawfully parked parallel with the edge of the roadway.

but since I was writing an ordinance to clear up some other issues I stuck this language in instead:

Sec. 54-435(b) A person may stand or park a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or motorizedbicycle at an angle to the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of lawful traffic movementin which such vehicle could proceed if it were to move forward;

(1) Any person may stand or park a motorcycle, motor-drivencycle or motorized bicycle in a metered space already occupied by a parked motorcycle, motor driven cycle or motorized bicycle, provided, however, that no such vehicle may be parked inexcess of the time limit indicated by the sign accompanying the parking meter and furtherprovided that all vehicles in a metered parking spot may be ticketed if the time on the meter hasexpired; and

(2) That it shall be unlawful for any person to stand or park a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle ormotorized bicycle at such an angle with the edge of the roadway, that any part of such vehicleprotrudes into the roadway at a distance from the edge of the roadway greater than the width ofany motor vehicle that is lawfully parked parallel with the edge of the roadway.

I was kind of surprised that no one on council even questioned it (just because something makes eminent good sense doesn't mean it will not be challenged). Sometimes it's good to be an assistant city attorney....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #4408
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
In Denver it used to be illegal to park more than one motorcycle in a space:
but since I was writing an ordinance to clear up some other issues I stuck this language in instead:
I was kind of surprised that no one on council even questioned it (just because something makes eminent good sense doesn't mean it will not be challenged). Sometimes it's good to be an assistant city attorney....
You can lobby, you can protest, reason and beg...

Or you can infiltrate and just do it.
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #4409
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,021
Nice thing about Aspen was you could park two motorcycle just past any row of Car spaces. Free of charge all day long.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #4410
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
just parked the bike and got of to take a tag pic....guy comes out of the house and says....is that yours??