Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #4576
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerenkov View Post
My first Yamaha was a shiny new 1996 Tenor Saxaphone.

You sure it wasn't a Tenere saxophone?
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #4577
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadgett View Post
I can do a tune up on this with my eyes closed!
Old 12-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #4578
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I was riding Kancamagus on my blue K75RT with a blue jacket and matte black half helmet one day. I pulled into a viewpoint to take a break. A short while later a small car with a guy and gal pulled into the same viewpoint. He got out of the car, came over and with a heavy whereverthefuckistan accent asked me if it was OK to park where he did. I'm pretty sure that he thought I was some form of LEO.

duck screwed with this post 12-23-2011 at 05:37 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #4579
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I was riding Kancamagus on my blue K75RT with a blue jacket and matte black half helmet one day. I pulled into a viewpoint to take a break. A short while later a small car with a guy and gal pulled into the same viewpoint. He got out of the car, came over and with a heavy whereverthefuckistan accent asked me if it was OK to park where he did. I'm pretty sure that he thought I was some form of LEO.
Should have told him it was 5 bucks!
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #4580
paulmondor
Iceman

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
You guys need to get over yourselves...
I often get approached by people, and yeah, normally they open with kinda' dumb or redundant questions. BUT, I have heard some really cool motorcycling stories from old timers, learned about new places to ride (on and off road), been invited to go riding (going on a group ride in two weeks), rode a couple or really nice looking gals around the block on separate occasions (one of which calls me occasionally for another ride), found a couple of really good deals on "barn bikes", gotten job offers, etc...
Sometimes the people I meet aren't worth fooling with, but for the most part I get a big kick out of the gas station conversations. I like reading their faces too, the young guy drooling over my dirty bike or the old man who, in his mind, gets sent back many years to his days riding his BSA through the fields (and all the hell raising of his youth!). It's all cool, I'll talk to everyone of 'em.
I am with you on that one.. We are blessed to ride vehicle that invite strangers to talk to you.. Ain't gone happen fuelling up a cage..Met the greatest people this way and would not trade it for anything? The interest they show in me and the bike far outweighs the sometimes stupid (To some) questions. Behind the stupid questions hide interest, passion, envy and joy and jealousy (Not the bad one)
Actually? I ride without meeting these people would not be the same.
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #4581
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
I am with you on that one.. We are blessed to ride vehicle that invite strangers to talk to you.. Ain't gone happen fuelling up a cage.
Fuel your truck with a snowmobile in teh back....

"How fast does it go?"
"How do you get it in the truck?"
"Ever take it off jumps?"
"What's this for?" *points at something*
"Don't you get cold?"

Old 01-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #4582
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I thought they made tuna forks.
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #4583
dbarc38
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wife and I were in Silverton, Co. browsing thru one of the shops while two ladies asked me if I was hot in that riding gear? My response was "My wife thinks so!"
dbarc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #4584
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
but since I was writing an ordinance to clear up some other issues I stuck this language in instead:

Portland used to be nice... or not, depending which section of parking code you read. Part said it was OK for multiple bikes in one spot, and part said one vehicle per spot.

Now they took out all the meters and put in parking ticket dispensers, to ensure everyone pays. Fine- one moto per spot it is! FigPackers.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #4585
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Was out riding last night and although I didn't get any "stupid questions", I did get plenty of stares and WTF eyebrow raises. It was only 32 degrees Fahrenheit, I really don't know what the deal was
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #4586
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Was out riding last night and although I didn't get any "stupid questions", I did get plenty of stares and WTF eyebrow raises. It was only 32 degrees Fahrenheit, I really don't know what the deal was
Got the "Aren't you cold?" comments as I was walking up the stairs this morning. Co-worker saw me blast past her on my ride in.

If I ride today, it's "Aren't you cold?"
This summer I'll get the "Aren't you hot?" comments.
Is there ever a "good" temperature?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #4587
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Biker View Post
As we pulled out passed the guard tower, Sweetness raised her arms above her head and shot them the bird with both barrels. .
Past.

(Whoever's fake n00b it is, we know it's not Klay. Unless he's being tricky and funny. Hm, will have to ponder that.)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #4588
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Camry FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
And while it may not be terribly exciting to drive, it starts first time every morning doesn't it?

I'm old enough to have owned British cars; Japanese cars that always start still impress me.
As a mode of transportation, driving a Camry is almost as exciting as watching paint dry, without worrying about breathing VOCs...

NSTIW. When I first met spouse-shaped-person, one of the first things I learned was she can be a bit scatter-brained and not the least bit mechanically minded. So I asked when the last time she checked her oil was and she said "Oh, that was ex-husband's job." OK, and you've been divorced for... about two years? Let's just take a peek, shall we?

Nothin'. I'm sure the pump was stirring some amount of sludge around the bottom of the crankcase, but nothing was getting near the dipstick. OK then. We took it in. I think they drained about half a quart of sludge out.

A couple years later, I took the Camry in for an oil change. At this point it had something like 240k miles on it. Checked it in, got a froo-froo coffee across teh street, went back, paid, got in the car and drove off. Five miles later, the oil light comes on. Not even when there was only half a quart in it, had the oil light ever come on. Fvck. pulled over, grabbed a napkin out of the glove box, popped the hood and checked.

Nada. Not "low", none. Bone dry. fvck.

Well, what the hell, you know? So I drove it back. Told them they forgot to put oil in it. There was a hasty conversation in the service bay. Tom, you put oil in that Camry? No, I thought Dave was going to do it. Went full circle... nobody put oil in the car.

So they put oil in it. I had the service manager note on my copy of the receipt that they forgot to put oil in it, then I drove it home. Sold that car 40k miles later, no notable change in performance. A tiny bit of oil smoke when started, got 27-30mpg and (best I could tell) used about half a pint of oil in 3k miles.

The Camry was roomy, quiet, comfortable, and reliable. Now she drives an econobox that is noisy, cramped, uncomfortable, and gets 33mpg. I miss the Camry.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #4589
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Got the "Aren't you cold?" comments as I was walking up the stairs this morning. Co-worker saw me blast past her on my ride in.

If I ride today, it's "Aren't you cold?"
This summer I'll get the "Aren't you hot?" comments.
Is there ever a "good" temperature?
65-70 scent of Azelas and Roses in the wind

But I'll ride most any other time as well, although pretty much not when it is less than 40, or over 105. I really don't have the right gear below 40, and 105 saps the strength from me no matter what I do.

Thankfully, the entire year here normally falls between those two numbers, other than a couple of days each winter and summer.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #4590
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

To offset all the times I've been asked if I was hot wearing a 'stich on a July day, last week I was out on a bike optimistically dressed in Jeans, T-shirt, sweater, and Aerostich. Yes, someone asked me if I was cold. You suppose the chattering would have been a clue?

Rode the KLR to work- in Denver-metro- every day I could. Had most of the cow-orkers convinced I didn't own a car. Even on days where there wasn't a helmet or riding gear taking up half my cube; even the six weeks I was hobbling around on crutches with a walking boot on (broken foot) and bare toes sticking out- people would ask me if I rode (and being November, if I was cold.)

Is that stupid, or just unobservant?