Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #4846
singletrackrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr View Post
Not a question some one asked me, but one my 7 yr old daughter asked, as overheard by her teacher. A young lady in her class was bragging about her father buying a new Harley. My daughter looked her in the eye and asked if it came with a trailer? I guess she heard my wife and I trash talking every time we see a Harley in a truck or on a trailer.
This is the best yet.
singletrackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #4847
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
So, to set the location, two nights ago I was riding home from school around midnight. It's a three lane highway, and I'm in the right most lane, on the left side.

Feet up on the highway pegs, all lights on, scrunched down in the quiet pocket of air behind my windshield looking in all directions at once while singing to myself, I watch as a scene unfolds. A blue Navigator, on big rims, is in the fast lane, cruising even with me (nobody in the middle lane). A Honda Nighthawk came zipping up behind the big rimmed truck like his ass was on fire and his head was catching. Instead of going to the middle lane, Nighthawk flashes and right blinkers the guy for almost a full mile, before giving up, going around, and once again repeating the show with the brake instead, then putting the gas back on and disappearing down the highway.

Well, I go to pull over to get gas about two exits up, and when I get off my bike, I hear a guy holler at me. The Navigator actually followed me off the highway! Dude asks me "Hey man, why was your buddy flashing his lights at me?"

Course, I pointed out that just because we were both riding didn't mean we knew each other, But I couldn't resist pointing out that he was going as slow as the slow lane, while in the fast lane, and it was expected that the slower vehicle yield to the faster moving one. "Man, whatever" and leaves.

I don't get much directly related towards my chosen bike, mostly just older guys that remember buying one brand new and riding all over the place on it.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #4848
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,177
I spent five years living in Germany, and when I moved back to the States I had almost uncontrollable road rage caused by people lolligagging in the left lane. When the hell did America stop teaching that the left lane is for passing?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #4849
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I spent five years living in Germany, and when I moved back to the States I had almost uncontrollable road rage caused by people lolligagging in the left lane. When the hell did America stop teaching that the left lane is for passing?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
That must have been at least 20 years ago then, because my wife calls the left lane "traveling lane" and the right lane "turning lane". WTF? After hearing that BS, some of my colleagues confirmed that nonsense as true!

Being born, raised, and trained to drive and ride in the Netherlands I have a critical viewpoint concerning road users here in the US, and this incident was particularly painful coming from someone as close as my wife...
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #4850
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Usually when I'm out looking something like this:

I get...

1. What brand of bike is that?

followed by...

2. Who makes KTM?

At least it's got some orange on it to appeal to the kids...
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #4851
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
Usually when I'm out looking something like this:

I get...

1. What brand of bike is that?

followed by...

2. Who makes KTM?

At least it's got some orange on it to appeal to the kids...
Black and orange?

Must be a Harley.

Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #4852
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
Black and orange?

Must be a Harley.

It's a V-twin and everything, is that the fourth generation V-Rod?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #4853
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
Black and orange?

Must be a Harley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
It's a V-twin and everything, is that the fourth generation V-Rod?

Boatman here on ADV, had a sticker on his 950 in the shape of a HD symbol. It read "Austrian Dirt Hog". Wish I could find a picture of it.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #4854
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Boatman here on ADV, had a sticker on his 950 in the shape of a HD symbol. It read "Austrian Dirt Hog". Wish I could find a picture of it.
I wish someone would make some more and sell them. I would put one on my bike.

Result of 30-second Google Images search:
Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #4855
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I wish someone would make some more and sell them. I would put one on my bike.

Result of 30-second Google Images search:

I can't see your picture at work, but doing my own search, I think those look a bit different from what I remember. I THINK another inmate's wife printed up the ones that I am reffering to, looks like maybe someone else latched on to the idea.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #4856
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Cant see the pictures in this thread either, but if you want to order some, these are good people, and members here. Maybe they are the same...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519121

Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #4857
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Cant see the pictures in this thread either, but if you want to order some, these are good people, and members here. Maybe they are the same...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519121
It's the same one showing in post 5 of that thread.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #4858
T!Mster
Lets Ride!!

Oddometer: 289
Laugh Bet thats fast!

Went on a cross country trip with a buddy last summer. I'm on my Ducati Monster 696 and he's got a brand new GXR750. He's been riding for years and could smoke my ass if he wanted to. We pull into a gas station in the middle of nowhere Mississippi and there are 4 rednecks sitting on lawn chairs spitting tobacco and drinking beers. Its 2 in the afternoon..... get a freaking job! We gas up and we're walking into the store to piss. One old guys says, "Ducati! I hear thats the fastest bike in the whole world!!!" I laughed..... Paul didn't!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #4859
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Well Duh. What kind of idiot rides their motorcycle to bike week?

Now you tell me.

Next year I will rent a trailer and try to fit in.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #4860
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
That must have been at least 20 years ago then, because my wife calls the left lane "traveling lane" and the right lane "turning lane". WTF? After hearing that BS, some of my colleagues confirmed that nonsense as true!
Where is this wife from? THis is normally critical the their understanding of highways, or complete lack of comprehension of driving theory.

For example, far too often with friends or whatever, riding along while they were driving, I noticed New Jersey people have the same understanding as your wife. Ohio people, on the other hand, generally seem to drive around with a sense of innate road rage. New Yorkers, for all their faults, and Pennsyl-tuckians, don't even earn a generalization category - they seem to drive alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
IMO, different states either stopped at different times, or never were, teaching European driving theory.

There was a change at my local new drivers' testing center, too - they used to have steel fence poles concreted into the blacktop for the in-out-in hand-over-hand driving part of the test, and it was this was since time immortal. But then sometime around 1990 they pulled those and started using orange cones... I kinda liked it that a potential driver who had not practiced enough would dent the side of their car in...

I imagine now days a new driver could screw up every area on the flat blacktop and still pass if she was cute enough and dressed right.

We all know they took out the parallel parking from many states as well. This, IMHO, wasn't a test for if and when - it was a test of drivers' skills in general. Put it back, and stop pussy-fying the testing process.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote