Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #5116
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 447
The most silly one I heard so far, came from my driving instructor.

I drove up his driveway with my bike shortly after I bought it and he asked what kind of bike it was.

I asked him to have a guess (FYI: I do have a BMW sticker on my windshield, driving a Oryx conversion based on a BMW F650 GS), he replied:

"Obviously not what the sticker says, I mean it doesn't have a Boxer engine, so it's not a BMW, but I dunno what it actually is"

Seriously? I mean...he was about to buy a BMW just a few weeks ago, he SHOULD actually know.....
I asked him to take a look at the clutch cover and re-think what he just said

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
One of the guys I work with uses rain as an excuse to leave early all the time!!! It pisses me off.

"It's gonna rain, and I rode today- so I'm taking off."
Well, that just sucks, maybe you should make him aware of the fact that real bikers dont care about weather and that driving a bike is about more than just having a lame excuse for pissing everyone else of :/
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #5117
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Funny story, but people laugh when I tell them that my Ural is the most modern bike I've ever owned.

Until now, I've never had a bike with a windshield, a neutral light, mirrors, running lights, or even turn signals.

Simpler bikes are just more fun.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
You're a real old school type of guy, aren't you?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #5118
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
You're a real old school type of guy, aren't you?
He said nothing about simpler phones being more fun.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #5119
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,367
I love technology, just not on bikes.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #5120
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Funny story, but people laugh when I tell them that my Ural is the most modern bike I've ever owned.

Until now, I've never had a bike with a windshield, a neutral light, mirrors, running lights, or even turn signals.

Simpler bikes are just more fun.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Yet you have a HemDroid 2 with Typotalk 2 (whatever that is). Maybe a land-line phone is more fun, too.

Never mind...
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #5121
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
They might turn on and off in Europe, but the ones in the USA and Canada are on all the time with no way to turn them off.
Way back ~1964 in the USAF my crew got to visit most of the S. American capitals. In some of those countries drivers would turn off their headlights at every red light. Cabbies said it was to "save gas".

Wonder if they still do that.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #5122
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,766
[QUOTE=gelberhase;18800983]The most silly one I heard so far, came from my driving instructor.

I drove up his driveway with my bike shortly after I bought it and he asked what kind of bike it was.

I asked him to have a guess (FYI: I do have a BMW sticker on my windshield, driving a Oryx conversion based on a BMW F650 GS), he replied:

"Obviously not what the sticker says, I mean it doesn't have a Boxer engine, so it's not a BMW, but I dunno what it actually is"

Seriously? I mean...he was about to buy a BMW just a few weeks ago, he SHOULD actually know.....
I asked him to take a look at the clutch cover and re-think what he just said

A lot of people that ride boxer engined BMW's think the same thing.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #5123
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,431
Mods, can you change this thread name to "Innocent questions people ask to make small talk and replies by self important jack-asses"?
Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #5124
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,299
After riding my bicycle to work this morning, as I was stashing it in a bike locker I heard a motorcycle approaching and was trying to figure out from the sound what it was? Not a V-twin, maybe a V-four or vertical twin. Finally the guy pulled in on a smaller Kawasaki. I was about to ask him my own stupid question: "Is that a Ninja 500 or 250?" but they guy never took off his friggin' helmet, so I didn't say anything.

I guess some people like to talk about motorcycles and some try to avoid it. Oh well.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #5125
helion42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Way back ~1964 in the USAF my crew got to visit most of the S. American capitals. In some of those countries drivers would turn off their headlights at every red light. Cabbies said it was to "save gas".

I've heard of this, and it makes sense although it would be more effective to just turn off the engine if you're going to be waiting longer than 30 sec.
More electrical draw = more alternator output to compensate battery and increased resistance = more drag on the engine thru alt. belt = increase in consumption. Of course it's pretty small differences, but when you pinch every penny I guess it adds up.
helion42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #5126
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by helion42 View Post
I've heard of this, and it makes sense although it would be more effective to just turn off the engine if you're going to be waiting longer than 30 sec.
More electrical draw = more alternator output to compensate battery and increased resistance = more drag on the engine thru alt. belt = increase in consumption. Of course it's pretty small differences, but when you pinch every penny I guess it adds up.
I am not sure that in those days, with those ancient engines fueled by those carburetor devices, that turning the engine off for a minute's stop would save fuel. Perhaps we have an expert on antique engines here who can answer factually.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #5127
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I am not sure that in those days, with those ancient engines fueled by those carburetor devices, that turning the engine off for a minute's stop would save fuel. Perhaps we have an expert on antique engines here who can answer factually.
If you can start the engine without pressing the gas pedal down, which should be the case when it's hot, it doesn't use any extra fuel at all to restart an engine. On all but CV carburetors (usually only on foreign cars, like the 240-Z) if you pressed the gas pedal down the accelerator pump squirted more fuel into the carburetor. Normally when the engine was cold, you would press the gas two or three times which would both squirt more fuel into the intake and set the automatic choke, then you would start the car. This would be the case for American-made cars from the 50's and 60's.

So if it could be restarted without pressing the gas pedal down at all, even 20 seconds would save fuel.

Modern fuel injected engines would be even better, because they don't squirt in any extra fuel.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #5128
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post

Never heard the "to save gas" explanation but I have heard of people in here in the States who think that using the headlights unnecessarily is bad and will kill the battery...like there is no charging system.

Where do they get these people?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #5129
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Mods, can you change this thread name to "Innocent questions people ask to make small talk and replies by self important jack-asses"?

Just the other day I... oh, never mind.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #5130
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Never heard the "to save gas" explanation but I have heard of people in here in the States who think that using the headlights unnecessarily is bad and will kill the battery...like there is no charging system.

Where do they get these people?
At lights wouldnt it be running off the battery not the alternator? The revs would be too low.

Like everything there is merit, but it might be insignificant.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote