Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #5986
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Wrong. I never have seen a 'custom' bike which is nearly as good as a factory one unless the custom is cosmetic or an extension of what the factory did. Frex, replacing the silencers with lighter more open ones can be a benefit to some trading some noise for performance but it's not a 'custom' bike by any means. Ditto adding a nice seat or bars.
I reckon you don't get out much, have untalented friends, or have just never built your own custom. Some great custom builds are happening right here on this forum. Take, for instance, this Triumph. It started out as a Bonneville, and ended up something much better. Custom frame, suspension, and everything.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #5987
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Wrong. I never have seen a 'custom' bike which is nearly as good as a factory one unless the custom is cosmetic or an extension of what the factory did. Frex, replacing the silencers with lighter more open ones can be a benefit to some trading some noise for performance but it's not a 'custom' bike by any means. Ditto adding a nice seat or bars.
Yabut...I never said, nor did flick say, that the bike would be better. He just said it would be his own expression rather than someone else's creation. Mayhap that's more important to him than having the ultimate performance machine. Some people would rather build their own than buy something someone else built.

I built a cedar strip canoe. Could I have bought one that was better balanced and didn't have the little flaws that only I know are there? Sure, but I wanted to build my own, because the building was half the fun, and knowing I built it adds to the enjoyment of paddling it.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #5988
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
to the speed question
i say
yeh only two speeds flat out and stop
then ask them
do you want a double
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #5989
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
"You rode a motorcycle in this weather?!"

Nope. Pushed it all the way here so I didn't have to walk alone.

"How fast will that thing go?"

300 MPH, at least.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #5990
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBrazil View Post
and every single talk ends with... It DOES climb walls Right?
Well, with the right tires....
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #5991
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
"do you watch sons of anarchy?"
"no"
"why not? Isn't it, like, motorcycle guys and stuff?"
"I'm busy actually riding a motorcycle."

it's best for everyone if I just leave my helmet on at fuel stops.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #5992
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,388
try the stupid questions you get on a bicycle.

maybe worse than on the MC

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #5993
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I was the one asking the questions one day.

I parked next to a clean, stock-looking Hayabusa, and the owner and I returned to our bikes at the same time. I had to ask.
Me: "Nice bike. I'm sure everyone asks, but how fast have you had it?"
Him: "Yeah, most people ask that. About 140 mph. And it still wanted to go faster."

That is why I don't have a bike like that, because my curiosity would insist on finding out the top speed.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #5994
manic mechanic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Didja ever have it happen when, making a fuel stop and you leave your helmet on, then walk into the store to pay for your purchase, the clerk will want to engage you in conversation? Then you mention to them you can't hear them with your ear plugs in and they look at you strangely.
Rounder #6
MOA Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
RA WI Regional Rep, rally camping chair
manic mechanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #5995
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by manic mechanic View Post
Didja ever have it happen when, making a fuel stop and you leave your helmet on, then walk into the store to pay for your purchase, the clerk will want to engage you in conversation? Then you mention to them you can't hear them with your ear plugs in and they look at you strangely.
I do this all the time. Except I'm wearing earbuds. Playing AC/DC at catastrophic volume. And singing out loud. I do get the strangest looks. Probably because I suck at singing.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #5996
SanK
Reuben-meister

Oddometer: 84
"What kind of Harley is that?" (followed by; why didn't you get a harley?)
"Aren't you cold?"
"How much did it cost?"
"Finally getting warm enough to ride?" (I have to explain that i ride year round)

It seems like a most people around where i live decide what a bikes worth based on its price tag; actually they do that for everything...
Looking through some of the earlier posts, i find it kind of disheartening how many BMW riders are snobs, sure i love my bike but i like ALL bikes; if you have it, ride it. I'm not in the bushiness of bashing other bikers, unless their road manners are non-existent; but really they just scare me. Going down 95S through Richmond its pretty common for some guy on a busa or harley to fly past at 90mph, all of a sudden all the drivers around get super aggressive. Its a battlefield out there... I cant tell if all of the surrounding traffic wants to catch up to said busa or harley or they just really want to kill someone. (because you know, going ten over most of the time just isn't fast ENOUGH.)
SanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #5997
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanK View Post
"What kind of Harley is that?" (followed by; why didn't you get a harley?)
"Aren't you cold?"
"How much did it cost?"
"Finally getting warm enough to ride?" (I have to explain that i ride year round)

It seems like a most people around where i live decide what a bikes worth based on its price tag; actually they do that for everything...
Looking through some of the earlier posts, i find it kind of disheartening how many BMW riders are snobs, sure i love my bike but i like ALL bikes; if you have it, ride it. I'm not in the bushiness of bashing other bikers, unless their road manners are non-existent; but really they just scare me. Going down 95S through Richmond its pretty common for some guy on a busa or harley to fly past at 90mph, all of a sudden all the drivers around get super aggressive. Its a battlefield out there... I cant tell if all of the surrounding traffic wants to catch up to said busa or harley or they just really want to kill someone. (because you know, going ten over most of the time just isn't fast ENOUGH.)
None of the above. A fast one incites others to go fast. Beats me why but I see this often because I like to make it occur.

One of my wife's cars is a Porsche 911 (newer model). I see a bunch of sedate drivers doing about the speed limit up ahead on the freeway. Then I speed up, and cut through the pack at at least 20 mph greater than any of them were going. At least half of them will speed up to my speed.

It's not revenge - it's inspiration. I can slow down right after making this inciting move and they'll speed by me. I guess a psych may be able to explain it. I can't but I've done it plenty of times. Always works.

I don't see this as common when I'm riding but my wife's Porsche Cab does it every time.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #5998
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I do this all the time. Except I'm wearing earbuds. Playing AC/DC at catastrophic volume. And singing out loud. I do get the strangest looks. Probably because I suck at singing.
I do this on a regular basis, minus the singing. Since I know sign language (somewhat) I just sign to people that I can't hear them they tend to go away...or talk really slowly and exaggerate the mouth movements which is kinda funny and annoying. Hint:Only 25-30% of English can be lip read by a good lip reader, I suck at lip reading.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #5999
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,546
Had to run some equipment to the north side of town this afternoon.

A coworker, who knows I go snowmobiling regularly, and has seen me ride in -far- worse conditions than the low-40s-and-dry-roads like today, asked if it was a little chilly on the ride today.

Weather's nice inside my helmet, grip warmers and good gear keep me comfortable. Oh, and I'll burn less than a gallon of fuel getting here and back.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #6000
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Had to run some equipment to the north side of town this afternoon.

A coworker, who knows I go snowmobiling regularly, and has seen me ride in -far- worse conditions than the low-40s-and-dry-roads like today, asked if it was a little chilly on the ride today.

Weather's nice inside my helmet, grip warmers and good gear keep me comfortable. Oh, and I'll burn less than a gallon of fuel getting here and back.
Just being friendly - for the loss.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote