Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #6196
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,519
The weather has finally turned nice in Germany... Every day, I get someone who says "must be nice to be riding again!"

I don't even bother with a comeback any more,
Old 04-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #6197
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,311
Not a stupid question, but... on my R1200R the fella I was riding with. "Nice bike for a cruiser". After a hundred miles of nice back roads and some dirt, he said " What is it, sport touring?" I said no, "its a standard motorcycle."
Later I said if it was a cruiser it would have a fat front tire. That is the second time time my bike has been called a cruiser.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #6198
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Not a stupid question, but... on my R1200R the fella I was riding with. "Nice bike for a cruiser". After a hundred miles of nice back roads and some dirt, he said " What is it, sport touring?" I said no, "its a standard motorcycle."
Later I said if it was a cruiser it would have a fat front tire. That is the second time time my bike has been called a cruiser.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.
Its those forward pegs you welded to the frame, the ape hangers and the doo-rag that makes people think it is a cruiser

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #6199
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Out riding, and could see a bike in my rear views. Next red light, a pirate pulled up next to me and proceeded to mash the throttle, apparently to get my attention, so I naturally paid no heed. He yells, over his straights, "Wow, that's more colorful up close". Never looked his way, just rode off when the light changed.
How in the fuck do you "mash" the throttle on a motorcycle? He was probably driving a car.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #6200
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
How in the fuck do you "mash" the throttle on a motorcycle? He was probably driving a car.
Same way you put the cobs to her even if you're not in KS.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #6201
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
I was gassing up in a small town north of Marion VA on Sunday at a gas station with two islands for the four pumps. The place is deserted. One employee inside, no one else in the parking lot, no cars on the street, almost like a ghost town.

As I am standing there in full gear, including my hemet, holding the nozzle in my filler and putting gas in the R80 a car pulls up. The guy gets out, walks over to me, and says "Is that your bike?"

I realize he was probably just trying to make conversation but the question was a bit "out there".
Maybe he wanted to buy it or something similar and wanted to make sure you had not just borrowed it. Sometimes people let their buddies ride their bikes.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #6202
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Same way you put the cobs to her even if you're not in KS.
Thats kind of creepy. I like to pull, twist or wring the throttle, not mash it, step on it or tromp on it. Being a lead foot when you ride a motorcycle is bad.
I am just here to help.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #6203
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,186
Guys on dirt bikes, who pull up to my camp in the mountains, see my BMW R75/5 and ask, "You rode that HERE?!?!"

Big Bamboo screwed with this post 04-17-2013 at 07:26 PM
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #6204
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Thats kind of creepy. I like to pull, twist or wring the throttle, not mash it, step on it or tromp on it. Being a lead foot when you ride a motorcycle is bad.
I am just here to help.
I find bond salesmen, dentists and bookkeepers with fake tattoos pretending to be drunk as they ride their Harleys to be creepy.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #6205
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I find bond salesmen, dentists and bookkeepers with fake tattoos pretending to be drunk as they ride their Harleys to be creepy.

That narrows it down.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #6206
tangerinetigger
n00b

Oddometer: 4
old timers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
You guys need to get over yourselves...
I often get approached by people, and yeah, normally they open with kinda' dumb or redundant questions. BUT, I have heard some really cool motorcycling stories from old timers, learned about new places to ride (on and off road), been invited to go riding (going on a group ride in two weeks), rode a couple or really nice looking gals around the block on separate occasions (one of which calls me occasionally for another ride), found a couple of really good deals on "barn bikes", gotten job offers, etc...
Sometimes the people I meet aren't worth fooling with, but for the most part I get a big kick out of the gas station conversations. I like reading their faces too, the young guy drooling over my dirty bike or the old man who, in his mind, gets sent back many years to his days riding his BSA through the fields (and all the hell raising of his youth!). It's all cool, I'll talk to everyone of 'em.
i ride a triumph tiger and i think its great howthe triumph name gives people achance to walk up and chat. with me its all about the journey and that includes the people you meet
tangerinetigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #6207
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
In the US (at least around here) the only paid Firefighters are in very large cities. Most other places have volunteer firefighters.
Now that's a guy who gets his Chili for free in my book.
Come out west, we have BLM Wildland Firefighters, local volunteer WFF's and city FF's.
/end jack

Cute girl in the car next to me at a light. Summer in So. Utah, was like 106 I think
"Aren't you hot in that Jacket? its a nice color but isn't it hot?" HIVIZ btw
"Nah its got vents and my sweat makes it feel like a swamp cooler when I'm moving"
"So why wear it?"
"Well it's got pads and Armor that protect me from idiots who text and drive" Said loudly as I look at her friend behind the wheel texting, yes we were at a red light, but still......
Light turned green and I lofted the front tire as I pulled away.

"When you gonna get a real bike dude?" yep one of those guys..........
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #6208
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Last night I encountered my ex-girlfriend (not a pleasant breakup) with her new boyfriend. She and I used to ride Push Mountain Road every Sunday morning. Fantastic road! I routinely dragged the pegs. She loved those rides. So I know she misses riding with me.

Awkwardly, I say “hey” and she says “hey” and I nod at the new victim… uh, boyfriend.

Then she asks, “So how big is your bike again? Like, an eight hundred right?”

Which was true: I rode a Honda VFR800 Interceptor.

“Joe just bought a bike,” she says.

“Schwinn or Huffy?” I ask.

She sneers at me and says, “It’s a Harley Sportster 1200. That’s bigger than yours, right?” [And there’s the stupid question!!!]

I smile. Because I know two things. First, she’s definitely not getting the thrills from that HD Sportster that I gave her on the Interceptor. Second, I have a new bike. So I say, “I bought an FJR a couple months ago. It’s a thirteen hundred. Sorry, Joe, your dick is still smaller.”

I walked away laughing. I crack myself up.
FUCKING EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If i had anymore room in my sig line that would be in there!
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #6209
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
My wife and I were grabbing lunch, and a young woman asks: "Were you just snowboarding?"

This could have been a fair question - we were wearing textile pants which do look a lot like snow pants. Our mesh jackets were behind us, and our helmets were with the bikes.

But it was July. We were in the middle of Atlanta. It was 80+ degrees. We were sitting outside with our bikes 10 feet away across the street.

We still joke about it while we gear up - "ready to go snowboarding?"
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #6210
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
FUCKING EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If i had anymore room in my sig line that would be in there!
Unfortunately, I used my my 10-year quota of smartass remarks with that response, so I'm done until 2019. I almost never have a quick retort.

Usually I think of what I should have said about four hours later.

On this occasional, I was just feeling mean.