Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #6436
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
I'm stopped at a light the other day... this clown pulls up next to me and says, "Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?"

If that lottery "investment" ever pays off I want to hot rod a Rolls. You can sit in the back and taunt the other driver with your jar of Grey Poupon while your chauffeur races and hopefully beats him.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #6437
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
If that lottery "investment" ever pays off I want to hot rod a Rolls. You can sit in the back and taunt the other driver with your jar of Grey Poupon while your chauffeur races and hopefully beats him.

Rod
You won't have to try hard. Most of them come from the factory with 500+ horsepower.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 AM   #6438
Benduro
I<3CrayCrayVaJayJay

Oddometer: 1,345
....because they weigh like 7500 pounds...
Old 05-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #6439
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post

Rod
If you are wanting backseat luxury, Maybach is the way to go.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #6440
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Last Sunday, stopped for coffee and an egg sandwich in Chester, CT. Great local roads nearby, nice day. As I'm getting helmet off, this guy walks up to me and says, "Well, if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it," while staring at my Breva with obvious jealous lust. Pretty sure he was just some middle-aged schlub like me, only bikeless, but the staring was making me uncomfortable. Like, borderline creepy, like he was staring at a super hot high school girl he knew he had no business staring at. I was a bit weirded out and just mumbled something like "Yeah, I guess so," and went into the coffee shop.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #6441
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Last Sunday, stopped for coffee and an egg sandwich in Chester, CT. Great local roads nearby, nice day. As I'm getting helmet off, this guy walks up to me and says, "Well, if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it," while staring at my Breva with obvious jealous lust. Pretty sure he was just some middle-aged schlub like me, only bikeless, but the staring was making me uncomfortable. Like, borderline creepy, like he was staring at a super hot high school girl he knew he had no business staring at. I was a bit weirded out and just mumbled something like "Yeah, I guess so," and went into the coffee shop.

David B.
There sure do seem to be many men out there who wish to ride or sail but fail to do either out of various fears. How sad that these guys live life too fearful to fulfill their rather modest dreams of either setting off to sail toward the horizon or ride a simple bike.

As a lifetime rider and having lived aboard / sailed for over 7 years, I've met these guys all too often. They tend to sigh a good deal.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #6442
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
There sure do seem to be many men out there who wish to ride or sail but fail to do either out of various fears. How sad that these guys live life too fearful to fulfill their rather modest dreams of either setting off to sail toward the horizon or ride a simple bike.

As a lifetime rider and having lived aboard / sailed for over 7 years, I've met these guys all too often. They tend to sigh a good deal.
I met one of those a couple of weeks ago at a church dinner. He was sort of excited that I had a couple of motorcycles and indicated that he wished he had a bike. I told him that he could come over and he could ride my Honda pretty much any time. Then his wife set him straight on how dangerous motorcycles are and how somebody they knew got seriously hurt on one. I don't think the guy has actually had a bike since before he was married, and he has teenage kids now.

With his wife present, I felt it was best to change the subject. I seriously doubt that he'll take me up on my offer to take my XR for a test ride.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #6443
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
That reminds me of the old tshirt, "my wife says if I go riding one more time she's going to leave me... I'm going to miss her!".
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #6444
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I met one of those a couple of weeks ago at a church dinner. He was sort of excited that I had a couple of motorcycles and indicated that he wished he had a bike. I told him that he could come over and he could ride my Honda pretty much any time. Then his wife set him straight on how dangerous motorcycles are and how somebody they knew got seriously hurt on one. I don't think the guy has actually had a bike since before he was married, and he has teenage kids now.

With his wife present, I felt it was best to change the subject. I seriously doubt that he'll take me up on my offer to take my XR for a test ride.
I bought my first GS from a guy who was about to get married to a chick who demanded he quit riding if they were to be married. So he was selling off his collection including the GS and, among other rides, a primo mid 60's Triumph TR6. The guy almost cried at the prospect of losing that TR.

Then she also insisted he get a dog which he frantically did not want and which confused him mightily. I had to explain a bit about dogs to him because he didn't have any idea what to do with it (it arrived as a 'rescue' that day).

I didn't keep in contact with him but I did wonder how that marriage worked out.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #6445
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Hmmm. Wife unit owned a bike when we got together 30+ years ago (I didn't unless you count the non-powered kind).
Current bike was her idea
and no she didn't go and take out extra insurance on me.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #6446
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
I ride my bicycle to work a lot, in which case I wear full race kit - lycra shorts and tight jersey, light road helmet, etc.

Today was the motorcycle, and, as always, ATG - armored pants and jacket, MX lid, leather street gloves, and boots.

I walk into the bagel shop, and after talking for a minute (from behind the helmet), she looks outside, sees my CRF, and says, "did you ride a motorcycle today?!"
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #6447
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I bought my first GS from a guy who was about to get married to a chick who demanded he quit riding if they were to be married...
Reason enough to call it off, as far as I'm concerned. She'd be like that about every little thing he wanted to do for as long as the marriage lasted, which I'm guessing wouldn't be long. The kind of woman who would be worth giving all that up for would never demand it.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #6448
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,088
^^^ That's the flippin' truth.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #6449
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
Reason enough to call it off, as far as I'm concerned. She'd be like that about every little thing he wanted to do for as long as the marriage lasted, which I'm guessing wouldn't be long. The kind of woman who would be worth giving all that up for would never demand it.
I did see a pic of her & she was one of the hottest chicks I've ever seen. I think that was a major contributor.

I also think that, even if she's as great looking as the pic, after a bit of time those looks will wear smooth and he'll find the value received being married onto her not worth the cost.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #6450
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
It's been an absolute parade of stupid questions since I bought my Triumph Tiger XC.

A couple days ago I got pulled over (70 in a 55). After returning from his cruiser where he spent a full five minutes with my licence, he thanked me for wearing all my gear and then asked if I had my MC endorsement.

"Isn't that information listed on my licence?" I said.

"Uh yeah, just asking" he said. He then quickly glanced at it several times before handing it back to me. I'd have to assume this was just to be sure he wasn't seeing things.

WTF? As near as I can tell, he was just completely confused by the fact that a person with a valid MC licence would be riding around with a helmet. Apparently, in Minnesota, or least in this tiny little farming town full of pirates, once you no longer have to wear one, you don't.

Other notable dumb questions/comments include:

1. "Is that bike two wheel drive?"
2. "Triumph? Are they still in business?"
3. "...so it's got a triple huh... Is that a V Twin?"
4. "Did you know your front tire is bigger than the rear?"
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote