Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #6481
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,768
Wife doesn't have to ride, she just needs to understand that it's an important part of who you are, and you aren't gonna give it up for HER.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #6482
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXX View Post
The lesson here: Find a girl that rides, or a girl that doesn't give a shit.

I prefer a girl that rides. So do most guys though.
I would prefer a rich woman that believes in polygamy as well as multiple bikes.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 AM   #6483
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,509
Met Mrs1911fan online; profile pic was of her on her Moto Guzzi. We've got four bikes in the garage now, planning a four or five day riding trip next month, we buy each other gear and farkles. She likes to hunt, fish, and shoot too.
Stupid eHarmony.
We have made some compromises, after her finding out about the dirty side of life. She traded the Guzzi for an F650, I sold the 990 Adventure and bought a Dakar; makes for much more fun when equipment is similar so ride ideas match. We got a pair of Scalas so we can talk to each other while riding, which is nice.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #6484
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Terrific advice - marry a girl who doesn't give a shit about you. I guess you are a marriage counselor.
JonXX didn't say "doesn't give a shit about you", He said "doesn't give a shit". That was in reference to motorcycles, not the person overall.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #6485
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,177
I find myself frequently confusing this thread with the crazy ex-girlfriend/wife stories thread. Which one is this again?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #6486
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I was at the gas station and a hot chick that just separated from her man, said "my boyfriend/husband/spouse told me to leave because I didn't like his bike. I like your bike better because it's blue. Can I have a ride?"
Spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #6487
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I find myself frequently confusing this thread with the crazy ex-girlfriend/wife stories thread. Which one is this again?
Well, at least some of those involved said girlfriends/wives asking stupid questions. Is the bike more important than me? Yes, next?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #6488
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 488
Not a stupid question, as it was asked by a little kid. At a set of traffic lights on my 5th gen VFR800, I hear a muffled voice beside me. I look to my right and a kid is leaning out the window with a waiting expression on his face. He then says "well does it?"
I ask him what the question was (no baffles in the exhaust and ear plugs). He yelled out "can that do a burnout"
Knowing full well it could I shrugged my shoulders and told him "there's only one way to find out!" I got out of the seat engaged second gear, fed it some revs and feathered the clutch and had smoke in a second. I only gave him a show for about 3 seconds as there was heaps of traffic, the bike is fucking loud and I like not buying a rear tyre every 3 minutes.

There was so much fucking smoke and the kid nearly pissed his pants with excitement! Dad was pretty happy, mum was pissed.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #6489
jdfog2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I met one of those a couple of weeks ago at a church dinner. He was sort of excited that I had a couple of motorcycles and indicated that he wished he had a bike. I told him that he could come over and he could ride my Honda pretty much any time. Then his wife set him straight on how dangerous motorcycles are and how somebody they knew got seriously hurt on one. I don't think the guy has actually had a bike since before he was married, and he has teenage kids now.

With his wife present, I felt it was best to change the subject. I seriously doubt that he'll take me up on my offer to take my XR for a test ride.
Oddly enough I had a very similar conversation at a church dinner a week or so BEFORE I bought my VStrom. My wife was similar to the wife in the story above except she knew I was getting ready to buy another bike.

Without thinking - My immediate reply was "you sound a lot like my first ex-wife." (She is my first and only wife).

She got the message and shut up quickly ... but she was a bit less than thrilled I blurted that out at church...

I've been forgiven :)

J
jdfog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #6490
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,381
I managed to ask a stupid question yesterday.

My son, who lives in another state, is planning to come visit us in a couple of months along with his family. He's had a few motorcycles, but due to financial issues, doesn't have one right now.

I asked him if he wanted to go riding when he comes here.

I think the answer was "Well, Duh!".

So I told him to be sure to bring the riding gear that he can't borrow from me (because it won't fit), and we'll go for a few rides. This is when it's nice to have more than one bike.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #6491
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,177
MrsDonkeys was at her 12 week pregnancy checkup, or whatever they call those things, this morning. I'm overseas at the moment, so I couldn't be there for this exchange, but it made me proud.

MrsDonkeys: So are there any issues with me riding while pregnant?

Doctor: Uhhhh, riding what?

MrsDonkeys: My motorcycle. Lots of vibrations and such, so I'm wondering if that can affect the baby.

Doctor: No, you shouldn't ride. You could crash and injure yourself or the baby.

MrsDonkeys: I can crash a car too. So, I suppose I should relegate myself to life as a pedestrian. What happens if I fall down walking?

Doctor: Uhhhh.....

MrsDonkeys: So vibrations are not a problem, just crashing?

Doctor: Motorcycles are dangerous!

MrsDonkeys: So is driving. So when do I need to schedule my next appointment?

When telling me about this, MrsDonkeys really couldn't understand why the lady freaked out so much. I love my wife.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #6492
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat110 View Post
Not a stupid question, as it was asked by a little kid. At a set of traffic lights on my 5th gen VFR800, I hear a muffled voice beside me. I look to my right and a kid is leaning out the window with a waiting expression on his face. He then says "well does it?"
I ask him what the question was (no baffles in the exhaust and ear plugs). He yelled out "can that do a burnout"
Knowing full well it could I shrugged my shoulders and told him "there's only one way to find out!" I got out of the seat engaged second gear, fed it some revs and feathered the clutch and had smoke in a second. I only gave him a show for about 3 seconds as there was heaps of traffic, the bike is fucking loud and I like not buying a rear tyre every 3 minutes.

There was so much fucking smoke and the kid nearly pissed his pants with excitement! Dad was pretty happy, mum was pissed.
That's fucking awesome! I would have loved to see the kid's face. I don't ever want to have kids, but making them smile is the bee's knees.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #6493
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
MrsDonkeys was at her 12 week pregnancy checkup...
Good for her! Be proud, RidingDonkeys, be proud!

We had a similar conversation with our midwife, when the nurse who was nearby chimed in about how she rode her bike to full term with no problems. We never saw that nurse again for some reason...
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #6494
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
I would prefer a rich woman that believes in polygamy as well as multiple bikes.
Screw that! One wife is way more than enough. Polyamory, maybe. Truth is she'd get way more strange, assuming she wanted it.

I've summarily and unceremoniously dumped a few girls for "me or it" ultimatums. Pretty good rule to live by. They may start with motorcycles but it won't stop there and you'll be in for a lifetime of giving up pleasures. If she's willing to toss your relationship aside over motorcycles, your friends, storing hockey equipment in the house or what ever else, you're not very important to her; move on.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #6495
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post

I mean just what does it look like I'm doing.

Should have told her it was a mating ritual. You wanted a trike.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote