ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #6706
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE
 
DOGSROOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: DOGHOUSE
Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

"Damn you're gonna get rear-ended if you don't make more noise - I can't even hear your pipes!"

I hold up the key and shouted back, "Um... its OFF"




.
.
.
__________________
In what sense can economics still claim to be a science if its predictive capacity is so dismally low?
Timothy Garton Ash

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #6707
henshao
Bained
 
henshao's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: The Commonwealth
Oddometer: 233
Loud pipes may or may not save lives, but fuck...getting rear ended? Are we driving by sonar now?
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #6708
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic
 
PFFOG's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
Oddometer: 1,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Loud pipes may or may not save lives, but fuck...getting rear ended? Are we driving by sonar now?
I wish, many drivers are just passengers behind the wheel.
__________________
Tuscany 2010
Maritime Alps and Vosges

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #6709
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
I wish, many drivers are just passengers behind the wheel.
Now that's classic!
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #6710
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 6,367
I hesitate to post this. In fact, I didn't even know if I should laugh or not.

I just hit up a great little German restaurant. There was a guy busing tables that was mentally retarded. My guess is Downs Syndrome, but I don't know for sure. I was seated right at the front of the restaurant, which is all windows. He kept walking up to the windows and looking at my Husky TR650 parked outside.

After about 10 trips to the window, he finally points at me and says, very loudly, "That guy rides a dirt bike on the road! You don't need a license to drive a dirt bike! I'm gonna get me a dirt bike!" (Say that in your best Downs Syndrome voice) Then he heads for the door.

At this point, it is clear to me that he's heading for the bike. I know this can't end well, so I stop shoving my face with schnitzel and get up to follow. I'm about halfway to the door when a 5ft tall woman with 5ft long boobs goes running by my, almost knocking me down. She exits the restaurant, and manages to grab the guy by the back of the shirt just as he gets within arms reach of the bike.

She restrains him. I immediately go back to my schnitzel. Some words were exchanged between the two of them, and they both come back into the restaurant like nothing ever happened. He goes in back, she disappears.

A few minutes later, she comes out to refill my tea, like nothing ever happened. It seems that she thought I was oblivious to the whole situation.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #6711
Fleksta
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Enfield, NH
Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
Loud pipes may or may not save lives, but fuck...getting rear ended? Are we driving by sonar now?
We might as well be with so many manufacturers pushing active cruise control, lane departure warnings, automatic obstruction detection and braking, et al. They seem to be doing all they can to prevent anyone from feeling obligated to pay attention.
__________________

Fleksta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #6712
Dynamick
\dī-ˈna-mik\
 
Dynamick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
A few minutes later, she comes out to refill my tea, like nothing ever happened. It seems that she thought I was oblivious to the whole situation.
If Momma acts like it didn't happen, it didn't happen.
Dynamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #6713
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha
 
Spacelord's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Dawsonville Ga.
Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I hesitate to post this. In fact, I didn't even know if I should laugh or not.

I just hit up a great little German restaurant. There was a guy busing tables that was mentally retarded. My guess is Downs Syndrome, but I don't know for sure. I was seated right at the front of the restaurant, which is all windows. He kept walking up to the windows and looking at my Husky TR650 parked outside.

After about 10 trips to the window, he finally points at me and says, very loudly, "That guy rides a dirt bike on the road! You don't need a license to drive a dirt bike! I'm gonna get me a dirt bike!" (Say that in your best Downs Syndrome voice) Then he heads for the door.

At this point, it is clear to me that he's heading for the bike. I know this can't end well, so I stop shoving my face with schnitzel and get up to follow. I'm about halfway to the door when a 5ft tall woman with 5ft long boobs goes running by my, almost knocking me down. She exits the restaurant, and manages to grab the guy by the back of the shirt just as he gets within arms reach of the bike.

She restrains him. I immediately go back to my schnitzel. Some words were exchanged between the two of them, and they both come back into the restaurant like nothing ever happened. He goes in back, she disappears.

A few minutes later, she comes out to refill my tea, like nothing ever happened. It seems that she thought I was oblivious to the whole situation.
At least he liked the bike, gotta appreciate his enthusiasm
__________________
"I swear to god that I will beat you senseless with a sanka can before I die" Mr.Grumpy
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #6714
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 6,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
At least he liked the bike, gotta appreciate his enthusiasm
Good point.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #6715
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes
 
atomicalex's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Detroit & Düsseldorf
Oddometer: 1,522
Not so much a stupid question, but out of the mouths of babes...

On describing my new (and not yet picked up) red, white, and ugly CBR250R to my 12YO, he said "mom, that sounds dumb. It's going to look like Captain America. And we live in Germany. Duh."

I pretty much lost it. I pick up "Captain America" tonight.
__________________
Katherine, in words - F650GSa - CBR250R (sold) - Nine Days in the Alps
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #6716
wvtaco
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Logan,wv
Oddometer: 68
Got asked if I thought it was ok to pass stopped traffic at the end of a merge lane. (Left lane was ending on the highway going from 4 lanes to three) I said yes, I was still in a lane. I came all the way down that lane and a bout a car length before the lane ended, a car was stopped trying to move right leaving close to ten lengths in front of it.

He asked how long I have been riding. And checked to see if I had a permit/ license.
He knocked on my helmet and told me to be safe.
Crazy a cop even came after me. He was sitting in the breakdown lane to the far right.
I would still do it again rather than waiting on grandma to merge in crawling traffic. An ending lane is still a lane.

wvtaco screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 06:41 AM
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #6717
Haven't Ben There
searcher
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 20
I was on my way to work after a doctors appointment and stop at a gas station. It is around 11:00 a.m. and about 90 degrees. I have on jeans, over the ankle work boots, 3/4 riding jacket (all the vents open) vented gloves and a full face helmet. I ride by the window, park the bike and go inside. Because I was in a hurry I left my riding jacket on and only unzipped it.
The lady behind the counter, who saw me ride up, says " it must have been cold where ever you came from"
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #6718
Rango
Phaneropter
 
Rango's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Kingdom of Belgium
Oddometer: 994

I would have gotten second thoughts about the schnitzel
__________________
Moriunt omnes pauci vivunt
Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #6719
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome
 
RidingDonkeys's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Pines, North Carolina, USA
Oddometer: 6,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post

I would have gotten second thoughts about the schnitzel
Oh no, never. The schnitzel is amazing.
__________________
Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #6720
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Oh no, never. The schnitzel is amazing.
Special sauce?
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014