Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #6841
Pottz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
A few weeks ago I was airing up my tires before heading out for a few days at a local truck stop. I was in one of the truck fueling lanes (the air is free there, would you expect anything else from a KLR rider?) A truck driver wearing a pirate costume minus chaps comes up and asks "what size, what year, bla bla bla, the usual stuff, the conversation was a bit random and hard to follow, but I answered politely.
Then he goes on to tell me how no one could ever ride a bike like that very many miles in a day, the footpegs and seating position are all wrong for long rides. WTF? did he not see the bike with loaded soft panniers and a small top bag, ready to travel some distance? He said I needed to get a Dyna Glide like his if I wanted to travel in comfort.

What really got me thinking wtf was when he said that my bike was just like a sporster, with only a 100 mile fuel range. Not at all good for traveling.

I kindly explained that I was going to ride 300 miles today, on mostly dirt roads, and I was not going to stop for gas, and I never could have done that on the Harley I used to have. I told him to drive safely and pulled away, wondering how many screws a guy could have loose and still get a CDL.
You have to pay for air over there???!!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #6842
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottz View Post
You have to pay for air over there???!!!!
Yeah. 50cents or more in some places. There are some states (Oregon at least) that have a law in place that forces service stations to have free air on hand for motorists that buy fuel there. But then again Oregon also doesn't let you pump your own gas. Unless you have a motorcycle then the attendant can hand you the nozzle. Yup you can't even get the nozzle off the pump yourself by the law there.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #6843
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Twice this happened over a weeklong trip through the UP of Michigan last week. Once while at a gas station taking a break and another while putting my gear on after eating at a restaurant. Both times guys would come up and ask me the size of my GSW. After telling them, they really had no interest in making discussion. They just creeped around my bike checking it out. I'd try to conversate with them but they clearly had no interest in me, only the bike. Its awkward when I'm standing their with MY bike and I'm clearly in their way as they are trying to check it out. I mean, I like checking out bikes as much as anyone, but if the owner is there I will at least make conversation. These two guys just wanted to be left alone. I just kind of stood there as they oogled the bike for about 10 minutes. Then they just walked away without even saying anything. Weird.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #6844
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Or 1932.....Tech schools need to include a history class or two.

They went over it in the late model program, even told us to watch out for the aftermarket conversions. Fool must have been one of the slackers. Early model class hits up evo back to knuckle/flathead beginnings.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #6845
Pottz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
Yeah. 50cents or more in some places. There are some states (Oregon at least) that have a law in place that forces service stations to have free air on hand for motorists that buy fuel there. But then again Oregon also doesn't let you pump your own gas. Unless you have a motorcycle then the attendant can hand you the nozzle. Yup you can't even get the nozzle off the pump yourself by the law there.
Amazing...although I admit in the far outback here the pumps are locked in cages and the attendant comes out and unlocks for you - this was due to a petrol sniffing problem from the locals...they have since changed the additives in the fuel to alleviate the issue...and on the Nullabor you had to hand over your driver's licence before they would turn on the pump...no cops out there to stop drive offs!!!! But never had to pay for air!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #6846
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
"A few weeks ago I was airing up my tires before heading out for a few days at a local truck stop."

And why on earth would you want to spend a few days at a local truck stop?

Sorry, sorry, I just couldn't help it.....
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #6847
ColdWater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
"A few weeks ago I was airing up my tires before heading out for a few days at a local truck stop."

Well played Mr Buckey!
ColdWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #6848
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post

Touche, re reading what I posted, it does sound a little:ymca

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #6849
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
This afternoon, guy at a stoplight: is that one of those new inflatable jackets?
Me: Umm, no, it's armored.
Him: But it looks puffy.
Me: Oh, well I'm fat too *then off I go*

Draechon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #6850
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,889
I guess he thought it was already inflated? Give him some props for at least knowing airbag vests exist....
Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #6851
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon View Post
This afternoon, guy at a stoplight: is that one of those new inflatable jackets?
Me: Umm, no, it's armored.
Him: But it looks puffy.
Me: Oh, well I'm fat too *then off I go*
Had some lady squeeze the elbow pad in my jacket last week. Didn't say anything to me either.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #6852
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,077
^^Start wearing padded shorts^^
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #6853
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
^^Start wearing padded shorts^^

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #6854
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,404
Shoulda reached over and squeezed her tit!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #6855
Kikemon
Poseur

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
I get strange responses filling my car up with diesel all the time, my favorite is when somebody on the next pump point out "you know you are putting diesel into that right?"... I certainly hope so cause it is going to be a real short trip if I am not.
One time a woman pulls a late 70s American sedan up to the Diesel pump and asks for a fill-up. This is Oregon so she can't pump it herself. The attendant tries to talk her out of it but she gets irate and abusive. Eventually all of the attendants are fighting with her trying to tell her to get gasoline. She's such a bitch to them that finally they fill her car up with Diesel. By the time the car got to the street plumes of thick smoke were billowing out of the tailpipe and it was bucking like a rodeo bronc. She made it around the corner and out of sight bucking and billowing the whole way. The gas station guys were crying they were laughing so hard.
Kikemon is offline   Reply With Quote