Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #6961
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
I was riding through a tiny little town, more like some trailers on the side of the road when some kids looked up and saw me passing through. I was the ONLY one coming through. When I went past them they did the "Blow your air horn" thing with their arm as if I was a big rig... I was thoroughly confused.
I put small air horns on a few bikes I've owned. They are pretty loud and get peoples attention.

"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #6962
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
Homeless guy wasn't actually talking to me, but whatever conversation he was having with the rubber boot he was holding to his ear, I couldn't understand. Appearently I don't speak BSC, or maybe it was his accent?!
Nice we've got one of those near where I work. He stands in the road near an intersection, and always looks like he's cussing the people out in the cars, but when the cars pull off he keeps on going staring in the same direction.
Funny thing is they caught him on Google Street View. lol
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #6963
Marius356
back on Africa Twin!

Oddometer: 94
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
One that everyone must hear everytime they stop at a fast food joint for a cup of coffee. Riding gear on, helmet in hand and the inevitable question: "here or to go"
Totally forgot about that one.
When I rode Eastcoast to Westcoast in 2011 I got this at nearly every McD or Coffebucks.
I think it's an automatism. Haven't tested it in Germany since there are not too many "Togos" along Autobahn and rural highways.

Best stupid question: Taking a look at my German license plate: "Are you from Canada / Mexico"?

Without exception everyone in the States and Canada has been extremely nice. Although it gets tiring after 10.000 miles to tell someone you are from Germany and didn't ride it all the way over....
Old 09-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #6964
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius356 View Post
Without exception everyone in the States and Canada has been extremely nice. Although it gets tiring after 10.000 miles to tell someone you are from Germany and didn't ride it all the way over....
I don't see why that's such a weird question...
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #6965
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius356 View Post
Best stupid question: Taking a look at my German license plate: "Are you from Canada / Mexico"?
Not a stupid question at all. Those are the only countries bordering the US, right? Where else could a person come from?

When other kids hear me speak Dutch to my kids they often ask "Are you speaking Spanish?" because in their experience anything that isn't English is Spanish.

Same for you; if you are not from the US, it's gotta be from just up North or just down South.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #6966
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
I was at a stoplight, a few cars back from the intersection, doing a rude verbal caricature of a nearby moron driver. I didn't expect anyone could hear me.

All of a sudden, a SUV comes up in my lane right next to me and the guy says, "Oops, I thought you were someone else."

Lesson: don't make fun of other people or the SUV fairy will come to grind your bones to dust.

I pity whoever he thought I was. With friends like that.........
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #6967
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoUglyEarly View Post

... doing a rude verbal caricature of a nearby moron driver. I didn't expect anyone could hear me....

I bet just about everyone on this thread would like to hear your "rude verbal caricature of a moron driver".

Go for it!!!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #6968
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I'm with you. I've never really had someone ask a stupid question or make a dumb comment. I do get a lot of comments complimenting the bikes. I once had an old guy (in his late sixties) tell me about a bicycle ride he did across the US, it was really fascinating. Back when I was young and single I had a cute girl ask if my Vmax was a Harley. When I told her no she lost all interest in conversing. I guess that was a stupid question (but just because she blew me off). If I'd been smarter and quicker I would have just lied...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
You guys need to get over yourselves...
I often get approached by people, and yeah, normally they open with kinda' dumb or redundant questions. BUT, I have heard some really cool motorcycling stories from old timers, learned about new places to ride (on and off road), been invited to go riding (going on a group ride in two weeks), rode a couple or really nice looking gals around the block on separate occasions (one of which calls me occasionally for another ride), found a couple of really good deals on "barn bikes", gotten job offers, etc...
Sometimes the people I meet aren't worth fooling with, but for the most part I get a big kick out of the gas station conversations. I like reading their faces too, the young guy drooling over my dirty bike or the old man who, in his mind, gets sent back many years to his days riding his BSA through the fields (and all the hell raising of his youth!). It's all cool, I'll talk to everyone of 'em.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #6969
Brian Keith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
I think we've all gotten the "How fast will it go" (especially on sport bikes) and "Do a wheelie" but I got quite an unusual one the other day.

I was riding through a tiny little town, more like some trailers on the side of the road when some kids looked up and saw me passing through. I was the ONLY one coming through. When I went past them they did the "Blow your air horn" thing with their arm as if I was a big rig... I was thoroughly confused.
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #6970
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,627
There are no stupid questions... Only stupid people
Old 09-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #6971
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 142
This morning while riding in to work, stopped at a light in town.

"you know you dont match"

What?

"you know you dont match, your bike is a different color than what you are wearing"

I dont have to match -

"well I was told the only way to spot a REAL rider is if all their stuff matched!"

okthanks (wave and close faceshield)
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #6972
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozirra View Post

What?

"you know you dont match, your bike is a different color than what you are wearing"

I dont have to match -

"well I was told the only way to spot a REAL rider is if all their stuff matched!"

How this should have gone:

"you know you don't match"

"i said, you know you don't match"

"I SAID..."

Light changes, bike takes off.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #6973
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 994
I get that all the time at school. My helmet is white (well, "vintage white") but my bike is black and yellow. Apparently I should have a black and yellow helmet.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #6974
Audaciter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,629
Quote:

What?

I dont have to match -

I would actually think the absolute opposite.

Who is the real rider?

Some one who takes the time to match everything, and is just so pretty, his helmet is waxed to match the shine of his bike...

Or the guy who has leathers from four different decades and who's backpack has more years exploring this earth than I do have in existence?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #6975
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
I dont have to match -

I would just answer that they don't make this model in fluorescent yellow.

Actually, depending on what I'm wearing at the time I think I do match. How embarrassing.