Old 09-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #7006
Pink Lady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
Lol
I normally carry zip ties.

Now there's an idea! I do have some pink zip ties! I think I will throw them in the side bag.
Pink Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #7007
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Lady View Post
Now there's an idea! I do have some pink zip ties! I think I will throw them in the side bag.
People laugh, but all my luggage has flourescent pink and green zip ties on the handles. I can spot it a mile away at the baggage carousel, and nobody dares grab my bag by mistake.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #7008
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
People laugh, but all my luggage has flourescent pink and green zip ties on the handles. I can spot it a mile away at the baggage carousel, and nobody dares grab my bag by mistake.
I've got a Pelican 1600 with red/white hiviz tape on the sides, same reasons. Tough and unique.

And because it's a fancy equipment case, its usually delivered to the service desk because it could (and sometimes does) contain firearms or expensive equipment. It's about a 50/50 shot of it even getting to the carousel.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #7009
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_JO_NATHAN View Post
Lol
I normally carry zip ties.

Several, in different sizes.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #7010
boomhwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Pulled into the gas station on my Tiger and a guy on a Road King pulls to the other side of the island. Looked over and told me that he hates rice bikes. Laughed and pointed to the tank and said, "It's a Triumph, British. Not rice but,............I guess crumpets! He just stared as I put my helmet back on.
boomhwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #7011
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 6,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr View Post
Pulled into the gas station on my Tiger and a guy on a Road King pulls to the other side of the island. Looked over and told me that he hates rice bikes. Laughed and pointed to the tank and said, "It's a Triumph, British. Not rice but,............I guess crumpets! He just stared as I put my helmet back on.
Ironically, I'm working on my father-in-law's 2002 electra-glide right now. Every part I've ordered has arrived in a box stating that it is made somewhere in Asia.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #7012
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,334
Years ago, when I worked for a Kawasaki/Harley dealer parts department, our pirate customers would occasionally give us ricerocket riders grief about being un-American by supporting a foreign brand. This, while they're buying parts with packaging stamped "Made in Brazil/Taiwan/Singapore/etc" I recall one guy who was pretty annoying about it, and we were kinda busy, so he had an audience to play to.
Unfortunately for him, so did I, and so as I sacked up his stuff I loudly announced where each part was made. "Here's your bendix gear, all the way from Brazil.... Here's your turn signal assembly, handmade in Taiwan.... Here's your headlight switch, all the way from Singapore...."
Yeah, I was amused. We were the only Harley dealer in 2500 miles, so he had to come back.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #7013
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

I've done the same for about 15 years now, but I don't use pink
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #7014
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,572
Tourist Busses....

A bunch of whitehairs swarmed us up on one of The Passes we stopped at.

"why do your bikes have BMW Logos?"
"are those Real bmws?"
"Did You ride here by yourselves?" (we are two ladies)

I looked AT My gf and informed The crowd that all Info on The bikes was available From their local BMW Dealer and thät we Teleported in From Venus.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #7015
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr;22392112

WOW.

What a fucking asshole.

Good response; crumpets indeed.

I love Tigers!!!

In 27 years of riding, I have never encountered such a twatwaffle.

I suppose if it occurred in the US, I'd talk him down.

If it was in my country I'd just call him an asshole.

(No one has guns here.)

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #7016
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post

I looked AT My gf and informed The crowd that all Info on The bikes was available From their local BMW Dealer and thät we Teleported in From Venus.

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #7017
wyobohunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Lady View Post
After having a nice breakfast at Cracker Barrel, husband and I stopped for gas at the Exxon station.

In comes this van dragging some big hunk of plastic. Son was driving, dad was in the passenger seat. Son goes around all of the gas pumps and parked next to the building.

Then he backs up and pulled up to the gas pump directly behind us. We were finished getting gas, so I walked over to the van to see what they were dragging. It was pretty obvious they had hit something on the right front.

The dad gets out, I tell him they are dragging something. He looks at me and says '' I know, it's part of the trim from underneath the car
(as he is tucking it back under the front where it goes) DO Y'ALL HAVE ANY DUCT TAPE?"

Keep in mind I am riding a 2013 Heritage Softail Classic, and my husband is riding a 2014 Ultra limited.

I kind of grinned and said you know I have a lot of things in my side bags, but duct tape is not one of them. I was wishing I had a nice fat roll of pink duct tape to give him. I think I will put that on my shopping list for today!
No duct tape? Not even a few feet wrapped around one of your wrenches? You offend me madam! ;-)
wyobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #7018
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Years ago, when I worked for a Kawasaki/Harley dealer parts department, We were the only Harley dealer in 2500 miles, so he had to come back.

1911fan
"Only Harley Dealer in 2500 miles?" Unless you were in AK or HI

No way... Not in the USA. Not in the last 90+ years.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 04:36 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #7019
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhwr View Post
I've heard the same shit when I'm on a KTM.
I just figure they are ignorant fuckheads and ride off. It's easier that way for me.

Then I'd have to give them a geographic lesson on the location of Austria.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #7020
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 191
No question, they wouldn't even look at or speak to me but..., Today after a ride of about 200 beautiful Western Colorado miles, I met my wife at Camp 4 coffee in Crested Butte. After all the recent rain, the dirt portions of the ride were pretty mushy, plus I ran into a section of "Blading Operation," (read 4 inches of gravel and mud) on Kebler Pass - So the GS was happily filthy.

When I pull up, there are two guys going nuts over a custom HD chopper of some sort that they have parked right in the middle of the street so that cars had to squeeze by one at a time. One guy was the owner, the other considered himself to be an expert on the subject of custom chopping. My wife has been listening to them for a while now, and is pretty amused. We know nothing about the chopping subject, but the conversation was funny.

The thing was immaculate, tons of chrome, brilliantly polished so that reflection burned your retinas, not a speck of dust or grime anywhere, shovel head, orange flame job tank, tall ape hangers, with a gold anodized riser - not sure why they needed a riser, straight pipes of some kind, shifter on the side of the tank, NO FRONT BRAKE, etc., etc.

The owner is relating horror stories of all the times he has almost "laid her down" because, "even with the rear wheel locked up," he almost hit this or that. The other guy, the expert, is jumping on and off the bike snapping pictures of every inch of it, and telling the owner what he SHOULD have done different. Expert doesn't even know the owner. He just waked up, started chattering, and getting on this guy's bike. Owner is clearly annoyed, but doesn't seem to be able to stop him.

Anyway, it was all pretty amusing, but I noticed that they had absolutely no appreciation for me or my filthy GS that had actually been ridden. Honestly, to each his own, but I don't get that whole scene.
jnclem is online now   Reply With Quote