Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #7066
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
we had elections yesterday in austria. i went there on the ducati, full leather. i was asked at least 3 times when waiting in the line if i was riding my motorcycle today because its cold outisde. finished my buisness there, got outside in the parking lot, seeing at least 5 people admiring my beautiful Ducati 916. and again. yes, i´m riding today, even if its cold....

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #7067
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,087
I went into Sam's Club this weekend (warehouse version of Wal-Mart).

The greeter asked if my AFX helmet (has extra 1/2 height tinted visor) was a space helmet. She had a valid point and I was rendered speechless.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #7068
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Not really STUPID per say, But I pulled into the gas station, and some older guy was staring at my bike, and kept staring at it---He finally walked up and realized it was a Moto-Guzzi and I got the "I didn't know they were still in Business" speal, It's funny he walked up and goes "OH! That's a Moto-Guzzi! Your engine was confusing me there for a second." Nice guy.

Then I get the usual---People glance at the bike, don't notice the Engine just think "meh, I4" Then it starts and they take a double look and have to ask what kind of Motorcycle it is.
Reduxalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #7069
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,491
Over the weekend I rode the VStrom out to the Vegas area for some training.

Although I was staying around Pahrump (about 40 min west of Vegas) I ran into town to stop at Bass Pro and grab a bite.

While stopped at the IN and OUT burger (damn hot philly working the counter too) had a guy ask "Are you heading to Rushmore or Brazil?"

Not really sure where the connection in his brain was, maybe Rushmore he was thinking Sturgis, but how does he get that I'm going to Brazil (not a bad idea) when I'm eating a double-double at a burger joint in Vegas?
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #7070
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,447
I was on the 1150 today paying registration at the court house here.
As I'm storing my helmet an older lady (maybe 55) comes up behind me saying, "Oh nice bike! And it's a BMW!" As she proceeds to trace the roundel on the tank with her finger. Then the question, "Is it hard to handle?"

I reply, very matter of factly, "No, it's one of the easiest to handle bikes out there."

I have no clue what kind of handling she was talking about.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #7071
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
Over the weekend I rode the VStrom out to the Vegas area for some training.

Although I was staying around Pahrump (about 40 min west of Vegas) I ran into town to stop at Bass Pro and grab a bite.

While stopped at the IN and OUT burger (damn hot philly working the counter too) had a guy ask "Are you heading to Rushmore or Brazil?"

Not really sure where the connection in his brain was, maybe Rushmore he was thinking Sturgis, but how does he get that I'm going to Brazil (not a bad idea) when I'm eating a double-double at a burger joint in Vegas?
Maybe he recognized that you could go just about anywhere on your bike? He probably thought you were riding a BMW ,and was shocked that you were not at a starbucks

Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #7072
GPrairie_Rider
Dirt Junkie

Oddometer: 931
Now that I bought my Tiger 8XC I get all kinds of stupid questions. But when I had the XRL they ignored me like I was riding a KLR or something.

Who makes Triumph?

Is that a dirt bike?

Why does it sound like that?

OR my personal favorite. Guy on a Boat Glide tries to share a lane with me in the rain. Come up to a puddle, I stand and power the bike up threw the puddle. Follows me to the station, pulls up next to me and turns his stereo down and tells me. "I thought you were gonna go down back there, why'd you stand up?"
Old 10-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #7073
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Pardon me... Do you have any Grey Poupon?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #7074
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
"I thought you were gonna go down back there, why'd you stand up?"
That's actually a great opportunity to teach another rider something that may improve his ability to enjoy riding. He saw something that did not fit his schema of how motorcycles work. Instead of remaining clueless, or attributing the event to "blind luck", he asked someone in the know (you) about what he saw.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #7075
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
What model HD is that?

I ride a Victory Vision. Stuck in traffic the other day and the fella in the cage to my right says 'what model Harley is that'? I reply Victory Vision, made in Iowa. Him: Victory Vision is a Harley, never heard of that one

I wonder where that road goes?
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #7076
Starbucks101
1 dark roast 2 cream

Oddometer: 20
While riding a Vrod Muscle a kid in his Dads Porsche pulls up and asked if it was the new Honda Shadow. I just pointed to the huge HD badging on the side of the tank. Then I asked if he knew who designed the motor for the bike, he just shook his head. I tell him same company that made your dads car, Porsche. Then left him for dead when the light turned green.

I've been asked if it was cold out (riding in the winter here).

Asked if I would do a wheelie for the kids (in his back seat).
Or course I will, you a cop??

Lot's of people ask, because they don't know what it is or who makes it, lot's have a friend who rides and they want to tell them what they saw, so they want the model and make etc.... One lady wanted to know why it said G0!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with so many exclamation points down the side of it. Spent 5 min explaining advertisement laws and how cigarettes are not allowed to be displayed on bikes, or tv now blah blah.....

Old 10-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #7077
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Rolled up to a back woods gas station. Cause I knew how far the next or was and didn't know if I could make it.
Hopped off and noticed it wasn't pay at the pump. All I had was my card. Walked in and told her I need to prepay but I'm paying with my card. She goes ok how much you need. I replied about 2 and a half gallons. She smirked and said ill just turn it on, come back in when your done. Took 2.2 gallons, I was close. Wasn't really stupid just thought it was kinda funny.
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #7078
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
I still think I win with "Is that a motorcycle?". "No, it's actually an electric kangaroo fuckhead".
Old 10-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #7079
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
I still think I win with "Is that a motorcycle?". "No, it's actually an electric kangaroo fuckhead".
When I'm dress up and carring my helmet. They ask u riding a motorcycle. I usually reply no miata.
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #7080
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtaco View Post
When I'm dress up and carring my helmet. They ask u riding a motorcycle. I usually reply no miata.
I usually say "Snowmobile".