Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #7381
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
It keeps the gas vapors coming out of your tank from escaping and polluting the air.
So you are saying it is a boot that recovers gas vapors?
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #7382
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
You have to skin it back to get gas.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #7383
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
That's what it's supposed to do. My experience was that, while it may recover gas vapors, it leads to more spills in the hands of the typical user (kind of like modern gas cans that don't have the vent).
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #7384
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
If you pump 10 gallons of gas into your car, there are ten gallons of air saturated with gas vapors that have to come out. With those things on the hose, whatever comes out goes to some sort of charcoal canister rather than into the air. It makes a noticeable difference somewhere like Los Angeles.

They have sensors so that you can't pump gas unless the thing is compressed, which hopefully gets some sort of seal with the tank. I'll use them that way for the first few gallons of gas that goes into my bike, but once the nozzle touches the gas in the tank they click off. Then I'll pull it out, hold the thing back enough to run fuel and top it off. It's a double bother on my KTM, which has two sides to fill.

Do any of these count as stupid questions, by the way?
Old 12-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #7385
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 127
This is not about a stupid question, but an interesting conversation nonetheless. The wife and I were on a Sunday afternoon ride in the Netherlands. We decided to have coffee at an old tower inn in Zeeland. It dates back to the 14th century. As we were parking our bikes next to the entrance, a waiter asked to park them closer together because they were expecting a lot of guests. When we were leaving two large black cars with Belgian CD plates arrived and parked next to us. One car contained 4 men that immediately took up strategic positions around the square. The other car, a Merc S, contained an elderly couple I vaguely recognized. As the guy walked past I saw him looking at the GSA, so I said good afternoon, do you want to take her for a spin. He asked is that the latest model? I said well yes, but next January the LC will be out. So we were chatting for a bit about cars and bikes. He used to ride too he said..
I was not quite sure who he was, but after getting home I looked up the Belgian Royal family. I had been talking to no other then the Belgian King, who abdicated this June. And Wikipedia indeed informed me he had been riding when he was young.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #7386
spntshell
What! Where??!

Oddometer: 390
Great one That belongs in the thread of Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
This is not about a stupid question, but an interesting conversation nonetheless. The wife and I were on a Sunday afternoon ride in the Netherlands. We decided to have coffee at an old tower inn in Zeeland. It dates back to the 14th century. As we were parking our bikes next to the entrance, a waiter asked to park them closer together because they were expecting a lot of guests. When we were leaving two large black cars with Belgian CD plates arrived and parked next to us. One car contained 4 men that immediately took up strategic positions around the square. The other car, a Merc S, contained an elderly couple I vaguely recognized. As the guy walked past I saw him looking at the GSA, so I said good afternoon, do you want to take her for a spin. He asked is that the latest model? I said well yes, but next January the LC will be out. So we were chatting for a bit about cars and bikes. He used to ride too he said..
I was not quite sure who he was, but after getting home I looked up the Belgian Royal family. I had been talking to no other then the Belgian King, who abdicated this June. And Wikipedia indeed informed me he had been riding when he was young.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #7387
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
If you pump 10 gallons of gas into your car, there are ten gallons of air saturated with gas vapors that have to come out. With those things on the hose, whatever comes out goes to some sort of charcoal canister rather than into the air. It makes a noticeable difference somewhere like Los Angeles.

They have sensors so that you can't pump gas unless the thing is compressed, which hopefully gets some sort of seal with the tank. I'll use them that way for the first few gallons of gas that goes into my bike, but once the nozzle touches the gas in the tank they click off. Then I'll pull it out, hold the thing back enough to run fuel and top it off. It's a double bother on my KTM, which has two sides to fill.

Do any of these count as stupid questions, by the way?
Thankfully they are in the process of being removed. http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/politi...-pump-handles/
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #7388
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Thankfully they are in the process of being removed. http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/politi...-pump-handles/
Now if they can just take the Ethanol out of our gas while they're "fixing" things, I'll be happy.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #7389
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
Now that's really cool!

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #7390
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
You have to skin it back to get gas.
On most bikes you only have to retract the foreskin to top up the tank, but most of the fuel can be pumped hands-free. Some bikes apparently need the foreskin retracted the entire time.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #7391
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
On most bikes you only have to retract the foreskin to top up the tank, but most of the fuel can be pumped hands-free. Some bikes apparently need the foreskin retracted the entire time.
With my magna, I had to always hold the vapor catcher back when fueling. That was a pain in the rear end especially since I filled up very often (very short range, 90 miles on a good day)

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #7392
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Vintage Airhead and the cage equivalents (old VWs) at my house require me to function as a gas hose Prince Albert for the whole process.

Muriel's modern cage is hands-free.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #7393
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Except in California, where they're required statewide by the California Air Resources Board... even in places like Alturas where they do zero good. They do a lot of good in places like LA, SF and Sacramento tho.

The California nozzles are different, too--it's not just EPA's boot that keeps vapors from escaping as easily, it actually draws the vapors off and pulls them through a recovery system.

I never really minded them when I lived there--the full-length corrugated ones were pretty rare by the late '00s and the shorter ones are easy just to hold back with your other hand. I guess they're incredibly annoying if you fuel up on the bike, but I never have so it didn't bother me. Amusingly, they work as well on newer HDs as they do on cages. No dice on my 'Strom tho, which doesn't even have a fill restrictor since it has no cat or O2 sensor ('04 49-state model).

der_saeufer screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 09:57 PM
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #7394
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
I'll gladly keep the minor inconvenience. I never spill gas on my tank when using one as opposed to the bare nozzle which splashes gas back during fillup.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #7395
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Except in California, where they're required statewide by the California Air Resources Board... even in places like Alturas where they do zero good. They do a lot of good in places like LA, SF and Sacramento tho.

The California nozzles are different, too--it's not just EPA's boot that keeps vapors from escaping as easily, it actually draws the vapors off and pulls them through a recovery system.

I never really minded them when I lived there--the full-length corrugated ones were pretty rare by the late '00s and the shorter ones are easy just to hold back with your other hand. I guess they're incredibly annoying if you fuel up on the bike, but I never have so it didn't bother me. Amusingly, they work as well on newer HDs as they do on cages. No dice on my 'Strom tho, which doesn't even have a fill restrictor since it has no cat or O2 sensor ('04 49-state model).
Why don't they work in Alturas?

MV