Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #7396
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
This is not about a stupid question, but an interesting conversation nonetheless. The wife and I were on a Sunday afternoon ride in the Netherlands. We decided to have coffee at an old tower inn in Zeeland. It dates back to the 14th century. As we were parking our bikes next to the entrance, a waiter asked to park them closer together because they were expecting a lot of guests. When we were leaving two large black cars with Belgian CD plates arrived and parked next to us. One car contained 4 men that immediately took up strategic positions around the square. The other car, a Merc S, contained an elderly couple I vaguely recognized. As the guy walked past I saw him looking at the GSA, so I said good afternoon, do you want to take her for a spin. He asked is that the latest model? I said well yes, but next January the LC will be out. So we were chatting for a bit about cars and bikes. He used to ride too he said..
I was not quite sure who he was, but after getting home I looked up the Belgian Royal family. I had been talking to no other then the Belgian King, who abdicated this June. And Wikipedia indeed informed me he had been riding when he was young.

Very cool!!

Not too many folks have spoken to a King.

I imagine he tells the story of the time a nice commoner asked him if he wanted to take the GSA for a spin!!

A bike fit for a King.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame

DOGSROOT screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 02:52 AM Reason: Lèse-majesté
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #7397
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,726
As someone noted - when you add a gallon of gas to your tank, a gallon of fuel vapor has to go somewhere. The vapor recovery systems actually direct that vapor back to the underground tank to displace the gallon of gas that's going into your tank - a vapor for liquid swap so-to-speak. When the tanker comes to refill the underground tanks it will, in turn, swap the fuel it brings for an equal amount of fuel vapor. Then, finally, back at the fuel terminal, when the tanker reloads, the vapors will be recovered and either returned to their tank systems, recondensed, or burned off through an emissions control system.

I've seen trailer mounted Ford V8's being used as air pumps to "burn" off fuel vapor when a storage tank is being emptied and readied for internal cleaning/inspection.

Once you realize the difference, you can usually tell immediately if a gas station has vapor recovery or not because of the smell. Maybe inhalation of gasoline vapors accounts for so many of the goofy questions we get at fuel stops?
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #7398
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Why don't they work in Alturas?

MV
I think he is saying it is unnecessary in towns where only a dozen people get gas on a given day.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #7399
Arte
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
As someone noted - when you add a gallon of gas to your tank, a gallon of fuel vapor has to go somewhere. The vapor recovery systems actually direct that vapor back to the underground tank to displace the gallon of gas that's going into your tank - a vapor for liquid swap so-to-speak. When the tanker comes to refill the underground tanks it will, in turn, swap the fuel it brings for an equal amount of fuel vapor. Then, finally, back at the fuel terminal, when the tanker reloads, the vapors will be recovered and either returned to their tank systems, recondensed, or burned off through an emissions control system.

I've seen trailer mounted Ford V8's being used as air pumps to "burn" off fuel vapor when a storage tank is being emptied and readied for internal cleaning/inspection.

Once you realize the difference, you can usually tell immediately if a gas station has vapor recovery or not because of the smell. Maybe inhalation of gasoline vapors accounts for so many of the goofy questions we get at fuel stops?
that solves the mistery of weird questions at gas stations!!
good one!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #7400
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
of course we are not exempted.

California has not waived Stage II Installation requirements in local rules. The California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) still requires the operation of stage II vapor recovery systems throughout the state. They are expected to keep this regulation until 2020-2030.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #7401
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
This is not about a stupid question, but an interesting conversation nonetheless. The wife and I were on a Sunday afternoon ride in the Netherlands. We decided to have coffee at an old tower inn in Zeeland. It dates back to the 14th century. As we were parking our bikes next to the entrance, a waiter asked to park them closer together because they were expecting a lot of guests. When we were leaving two large black cars with Belgian CD plates arrived and parked next to us. One car contained 4 men that immediately took up strategic positions around the square. The other car, a Merc S, contained an elderly couple I vaguely recognized. As the guy walked past I saw him looking at the GSA, so I said good afternoon, do you want to take her for a spin. He asked is that the latest model? I said well yes, but next January the LC will be out. So we were chatting for a bit about cars and bikes. He used to ride too he said..
I was not quite sure who he was, but after getting home I looked up the Belgian Royal family. I had been talking to no other then the Belgian King, who abdicated this June. And Wikipedia indeed informed me he had been riding when he was young.
Is there a Burger King in Zeeland?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #7402
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
California has not waived Stage II Installation requirements in local rules. The California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) still requires the operation of stage II vapor recovery systems throughout the state. They are expected to keep this regulation until 2020-2030.
In some rural parts of the state pumps don't have the foreskin. Or they didn't a few years ago. I thought it was still true anyway.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #7403
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
So you are saying it is a boot that recovers gas vapors?
Boot that recovers gas vapors? Where do I sign? I ate cabbage last night, and MrsDonkeys would certainly appreciate me buying these boots.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #7404
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Boot that recovers gas vapors? Where do I sign? I ate cabbage last night, and MrsDonkeys would certainly appreciate me buying these boots.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

You have no idea how hard my wife is laughing and agreeing with Mrs Donkeys.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #7405
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
It's pouring rain today, and I'm waiting under the awning at the door for my colleague who also just arrived at the office.

"What is THAT!?" he yells when he is barely halfway the parking lot. "Is that a car?? Are you feeling OK?"
My 6 year old daughter won't fit in the top box, so I had to take the car today to drive her to school. It seems my colleagues are slowly getting used to me riding well beyond the more prevalent "sunny and at least 65 degrees" riding cut-off point. That was confirmed by another colleage who had previously explained how it had gotten too cold for him to ride (below 55), asking me as soon as he saw me: "Did you ride today?".

I have worked here for 4 1/2 years now. I ride except when there is ice or snow on the road (or kids to be shuttled). We're slowly getting there with changing the presumptions and expectations on motorcycle riding.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #7406
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,388
Raining here today, I got the " You rode your motorcycle today? DON'T YOU KNOW IT'S RAINING???"
It's water, BFD! I work outside most of the day, it isn't like I have a chance of being dry today anyway.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #7407
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
Raining here today, I got the " You rode your motorcycle today? DON'T YOU KNOW IT'S RAINING???"
It's water, BFD! I work outside most of the day, it isn't like I have a chance of being dry today anyway.
I have a security guard who, after seeing me come to work in everything but snow/ice for years, still asks me, "what are you gonna do if it rains?" I always answer the same, "er, I'll rode home like usual". Somehow, I think he believes my bike self destructs each time I ride in the rain and I just replace it with a new one after.
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #7408
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Except in California, where they're required statewide by the California Air Resources Board... even in places like Alturas where they do zero good. They do a lot of good in places like LA, SF and Sacramento tho.

The California nozzles are different, too--it's not just EPA's boot that keeps vapors from escaping as easily, it actually draws the vapors off and pulls them through a recovery system.

I never really minded them when I lived there--the full-length corrugated ones were pretty rare by the late '00s and the shorter ones are easy just to hold back with your other hand. I guess they're incredibly annoying if you fuel up on the bike, but I never have so it didn't bother me. Amusingly, they work as well on newer HDs as they do on cages. No dice on my 'Strom tho, which doesn't even have a fill restrictor since it has no cat or O2 sensor ('04 49-state model).
That's not quite accurate either - there are vapor recovery pumps that don't use the boot (and work a lot better!) but stations just don't wanna spring the extra few bucks for them
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #7409
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 570
my favorite...

"Hey you've got a KTM! Who makes that again?"

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #7410
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
You could always mind your own damned business.
If I am actually stuck on the side of the road, you can be damned sure I will do my best to flag someone down. I've also been stopped alongside the roadway, with a CAMERA VISIBLY IN HAND, and been asked if I'm ok. Those are the times others should just move along. I've also had others "wave" another car out in front of me... so perhaps a "kind" move isn't always kind.
sdmichael is online now   Reply With Quote