Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #751
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
I haven't seen this mentioned recently, so I'll mention it now.

The ambient temperature has been noticably cooler for the past week or so. The overnight lows are admittedly below averages for this time of the year. I daresay we're going to see frost on the lawn in pretty short order.

I suppose I'm lucky insomuch that I haven't really been asked any memorably stupid questions in recent memory. I am, however, on the receiving end of more and more condescension-by-proxy when folks see me in riding gear even after the mercury has dropped below, Heaven forfend, 60 F.

Just try to picture contorted, "harrumph" facial expressions as someone says the following to you in an accusatory tone:

You rode today? (1)
It's October and you're still riding? (2)
You must be frozen! (3)
Can you even control the bike when it's this cold? (4)

1. I'm wearing full kit and carrying a Shoei. I've got helmet hair. Yes, Simple Simon, I rode today.
2. Just move to Florida and be done with it. Please.
3. This comment is repeated, even after I reply "No", and/or point out the power cord for the electric vest that I'm wearing.
4. Up yours!

Oy.

TM
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #752
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate
Your life must be difficult if you take my posts personally.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Not really, and this is not just just about you. I just do not know why so many people want to give others grief if they are different or do not fit "the proper mold".
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #753
FILLETI
mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
If Toyota made a motorcycle I'd buy one.
+1

can I get a TRD off road package with that?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #754
Brimfire
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 90
Good one from today. Backstory; I just bought myself a new car after being bike-only for a good, solid, and FANTASTIC I might add, four months.

"Good time to buy a car. Guess you won't be riding much anymore! That's good."

"Dude, why wouldn't I ride?"

"Well, it's cold...."

It's like people never heard of COATS before! Though these new leather heated seats in my car are starting to spoil me.... Hehehe.

'05 BMW F650GS
Brimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #755
Cheshire
Anachronistic rideby

Oddometer: 267
I'm letting a friend borrow my car while her's is in the shop (currently waiting for a part) since I'm not really driving it ever since I got my scooter. Weather's finally starting to turn cool. My favorite time of year!

I show up for blacksmithing class, and one older gentleman, who knows I'm lending my car because of a previous "don't you have a car?" comment, asks if I'm going to be getting my car soon. I shrug, say it doesn't matter too much. He tries getting parental, telling me it's not a good idea to ride "all that way" every day, and that it's too far for a little scooter. I tell him it takes just as long in the car...sometimes longer. Blank look from him. I mention it's got a license plate for a reason. Younger student then comes up to me and decides to join in on the conversation: "you have a car? Wait, you have a license?"

They both then proceed to tell me I should get my car back ASAP because it's starting to get cold. Well, no shit. That's what insulated gear's for! Umm...I don't ride from necessity...thought the ear-to-ear grin on my face every time I pull the helmet off would've clued them in. Ah, well.
Cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #756
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire
They both then proceed to tell me I should get my car back ASAP because it's starting to get cold. Well, no shit. That's what insulated gear's for! Umm...I don't ride from necessity...thought the ear-to-ear grin on my face every time I pull the helmet off would've clued them in. Ah, well.
Man, where would we be without all these people telling us what to do, like when I rode in the pouring down last week because I felt like like it (some days I'm feeling it when I wake up, some not). The boss tries lecturing me when I get in about how dangerous it is and blah, blah, blah.

One thing I really have enjoyed in the past year though is little old ladies coming up to talk to me about riding. They tell of always having wanted to ride, or having had a boyfriend or their husband back in the fifties that had an Indian or Harley, but then they had kids so the man gave up his ride. Every one of them has a sparkle in their eye when they're reliving these tales. It gives much more credence when they then go off into their friend's nephew just got hit by a truck and so I should be careful out there, because the cars are what's dangerous out there. I love these moments.

Anyone under 20 or over 60 loves motorcycles it seems. It's everyone in between that tries telling me how to live my life.

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #757
Brimfire
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draechon
Man, where would we be without all these people telling us what to do, like when I rode in the pouring down last week because I felt like like it (some days I'm feeling it when I wake up, some not). The boss tries lecturing me when I get in about how dangerous it is and blah, blah, blah.

One thing I really have enjoyed in the past year though is little old ladies coming up to talk to me about riding. They tell of always having wanted to ride, or having had a boyfriend or their husband back in the fifties that had an Indian or Harley, but then they had kids so the man gave up his ride. Every one of them has a sparkle in their eye when they're reliving these tales. It gives much more credence when they then go off into their friend's nephew just got hit by a truck and so I should be careful out there, because the cars are what's dangerous out there. I love these moments.

Anyone under 20 or over 60 loves motorcycles it seems. It's everyone in between that tries telling me how to live my life.
I just had a conversation with an old lady about how her and her boyfriend road motorcycles in the 50's and you are so completely right. She was telling me about how they used to tear up and down Roosevelt Blvd (dangerous road nowadays in Philly) with nothing but bandanas on and... well, you could just see her eyes light up when she was recanting the tales.

Then, like you said, just tells me to be careful out there. It's funny; I think you either get it, or you don't. Most people don't; those are the guys we keep our eyes out for on the road. :)

'05 BMW F650GS
Brimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #758
sock_eye
Now Giiit!!!!

Oddometer: 47
my least favorite stupid question

Do you know how fast you were going?
sock_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #759
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by sock_eye
.... That sounds like something an Or. state cop would say. ........ How much was the ticket?
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #760
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Followed very closely by "do you know what the speed limit is?"

I've always wanted to reply to either question "no, but I have feeling you know and you're about to tell me."

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #761
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
why, yes I do. I was going about 80 when you got me with the gun because this thing has really good brakes.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #762
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
why, yes I do. I was going about 80 when you got me with the gun because this thing has really good brakes.
A response like that is sure to get you an appointment with the local judge . Better to play dumb. mexicans get away with playing dumb all the time.
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #763
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
I've settled down to the simple response.

-pointing to my ear area through my helmet. "I HAVE EARPLUGS IN -I CAN'T HEAR YOUR STUPID QUESTIONS."

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #764
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: 9,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by road ranger
...mexicans get away with playing dumb all the time.
Nice.
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #765
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by road ranger
A response like that is sure to get you an appointment with the local judge . Better to play dumb. mexicans get away with playing dumb all the time.
Duh

The police ought to just ask the question they really mean:

"would you care to incriminate yourself and admit to speeding in order to make my job easier if this goes to court? Oh, and by the way, I'd really like it if you admit to going faster than what I clocked you at, that'd be peachy."
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote