Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #7756
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
And don't forget the snub .38 in the pocket just in case!!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #7757
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
And don't forget the snub .38 in the pocket just in case!!
Turning this into a gun thread again? Seriously?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #7758
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
If they're doing something illegal or stupid or dangerous to me, I'll say something, loudly, and I don't mind being a target of their aggression. 20 seconds to a fight? Okay. Seriously, I'm in a full helmet designed to take a 250g impact, a jacket with d3O molecular armor, and gloves with titanium knuckle protection... I'll take that fight.

Hopefully I win.
+1
If I hadn't been paying attention, she would've t-boned me, game over, so heck yes I'm gonna honk!

And I always did think it was a stupid idea to get in a fight with some one wearing armor and gloves that could just as easily be used as brass knuckles, but I'm also a practical person

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #7759
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
+1
If I hadn't been paying attention, she would've t-boned me, game over, so heck yes I'm gonna honk!

And I always did think it was a stupid idea to get in a fight with some one wearing armor and gloves that could just as easily be used as brass knuckles, but I'm also a practical person
I'm a practical person until someone tries to kill me through ignorance, inattention, or carelessness.

Then it's "Your Honor, I have absolutely no memory of the crash, or the fatal beating I inflicted on the person who recklessly tried to murder me."
Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #7760
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
If they're doing something illegal or stupid or dangerous to me, I'll say something, loudly, and I don't mind being a target of their aggression. 20 seconds to a fight? Okay. Seriously, I'm in a full helmet designed to take a 250g impact, a jacket with d3O molecular armor, and gloves with titanium knuckle protection... I'll take that fight.

Hopefully I win.
I had a bad neighbor that would regularly pick fights with me and several other neighbors.
They'd come out and start shit when I was going to my garage, geared up for off-road, with a camera on my helmet recording the confrontation... and a pistol on my side.

They got evicted less than a year after moving in.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #7761
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Reminds me of this time in Austin....

I was in my car, heading east on I think 12th street. It is a 6 lane avenue and I was third in line in the right lane as we traveled down the road. Anyway, out of now where a car come flying out of a side road and t-bones the car in front of the line of people. Myself, and everyone else, stop to make sure everyone is ok. I go to the driver who was in front of me first, and thankfully he is fine. About that time the driver gets out of the car and asked the crowd (very loudly so everyone could hear) "Did you see that guy run the stop sign and hit me?!?" Mind you, she had run the stop sign that was clearly visible on the side road.

The driver in front of me turned to me white faced and immediately asked if I saw what happened. Yes, and I'll stay to give the police my observations. Thankfully, he was cleared and all fault placed on the girl who ran the stop sign into the avenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
They all do that...

Seriously, want to get in a fight with some random in about 20 seconds ? Call any attention to their stupid/illegal/dangerous behavior and YOU will be the target of their aggression.

I don't know if it's a natural reaction to the embarrassment of being called out or just good old insanity but make any observation of another's idiocy at your own risk.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #7762
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,611
Had lunch with a buddy today, and teh lunch place was next door to the beemer dealer I usually avoid. But, I needed a fairing screw, so why not give it a shot, right? I go in and head over to the parts counter. An older guy is wandering around, the wife looks pissed and is standing off to the edge of the showroom. The floor guy asks me if I am dropping a bike off for service and I say no, I need a fairing screw. The old guy walks up to me and says "did you ride here?"

I turned around and looked at him and said "yes, I always ride." with that funny what do you mean expression on my face.

I guess he was just a lookieloo because the parts guy was all over me and my $1 part in a hurry.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #7763
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Had lunch with a buddy today, and teh lunch place was next door to the beemer dealer I usually avoid. But, I needed a fairing screw, so why not give it a shot, right? I go in and head over to the parts counter. An older guy is wandering around, the wife looks pissed and is standing off to the edge of the showroom. The floor guy asks me if I am dropping a bike off for service and I say no, I need a fairing screw. The old guy walks up to me and says "did you ride here?"

I turned around and looked at him and said "yes, I always ride." with that funny what do you mean expression on my face.

I guess he was just a lookieloo because the parts guy was all over me and my $1 part in a hurry.
But you can't ride a motorcycle, you're... A G gg Girrrrrl

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #7764
ElJefeATX
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
but most will simply ask when are you going to get a "real bike."
Yep. Where do you keep the Nortons?
ElJefeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #7765
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oh lawd... the "OMG, it's raining" people are out in force at work....

One thing I noticed is that people who might have ridden back in the 70s/80s do not seem to be aware of how much tyre technology has improved since then. Yes, wet manhole covers are still slicker than dry pavement, but my tyres have made up a lot of the gap that they think is there.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #7766
Marylander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:

One thing I noticed is that people who might have ridden back in the 70s/80s do not seem to be aware of how much tyre technology has improved since then. Yes, wet manhole covers are still slicker than dry pavement, but my tyres have made up a lot of the gap that they think is there.
I'm on my first set of modern sport touring tires (pr2) and am pretty amazed at how well they stick in cold and/or wet conditions. I've been using track take offs for years but will almost certainly stop using the free tires now that I see how good these sport touring tires are now.
Marylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #7767
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,791
From a sales guy at a MC dealer, during an 'open house' event, while standing there in gear (incl. Hi-Vis vest) and partaking of the free sandwiches:
"Hey, we got beer over there. Go grab one!"

Not saying that people can't make their own choices as to drinking and riding, but I don't think representatives of a dealer should be pushing booze at events in the showroom. I was also surprised that the head of a local MSF school (a 'huge safety advocate', according to the bio on the web site), who had a table set up next to the sandwiches and beer, didn't have anything to say about it.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #7768
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 127
Quote:

Yep. Same stuff today, it's overcast (hasn't even rained yet!) and everyone I've talked to except the gas station guy (who's actually from India) is giving me the "Oh my God, you must be crazy!" speech, or at least "Don't you know it might rain out there ?"

I just smile and nod.

As a side note, I live in a Houston suburb where about one out of ten homes has a bike, but in a subdivision of about 400 homes the only people you see on bikes in anything but perfect, partly-cloudy weather are me, a DR650 guy, and an old-school biker type on a panhead who rides almost NOTGATT everywhere, hot or cold, rain or shine.
1992 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (project) 35,179 miles
Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #7769
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

My mom, who knows damn well that I rode every day in gErmany, just asked me if I rode to work in the rain. gah!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #7770
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
My mom, who knows damn well that I rode every day in gErmany, just asked me if I rode to work in the rain. gah!!!!!!!!!!
Did you calmly explain that, yes, you do ride in the rain? Or did you give her a classic advrider response?