Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #7921
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
Him: "You don't mind riding in this kind of rain?"

Me: "I'm completely waterproof. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance."
This is the exact kind of stupid-ass comment that makes me wonder what is wrong with some of you people. I mean, why not say, "Yeah, it kinda sucks, but I have these Froggs Toggs, they keep me pretty dry. My boots and glove sare waterproof, so that's not so bad either. I don't do it for fun, but if I gotta get somewhere it's nto that big of a deal." Friendly, informative, and non-douche-errific.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #7922
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
This is the exact kind of stupid-ass comment that makes me wonder what is wrong with some of you people. I mean, why not say, "Yeah, it kinda sucks, but I have these Froggs Toggs, they keep me pretty dry. My boots and glove sare waterproof, so that's not so bad either. I don't do it for fun, but if I gotta get somewhere it's nto that big of a deal." Friendly, informative, and non-douche-errific.
I think there are some keyboard jockeys on here reciting the smartass comments they wish they'd had the balls to say, not what they actually said. You never know though - there are some 's out there
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #7923
yourMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
You guys want a stupid question right here?

Where is a place for newbies here where I can allow myself to be a girl and ask dumb questions? :3

Or who wants to tell me the basic stuff about motorcycles ?

Little girl is hungry!
yourMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #7924
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Prolly better to start a thread of your own. "Hi. I'm new, looking to get a bike ..." Something like that.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #7925
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,694
Quote:
This is the exact kind of stupid-ass comment that makes me wonder what is wrong with some of you people.
Know your audience, it is that simple. In the case you quoted, he gave a perfectly normal and legit response that would have been accepted as being nice at my place of work. Now say it to a 90yo lady at the grocery store and you might be a dick.

However, I have to ask, why read this thread if you don't like the responses? That's like going to Toxic Britney and calling all the posters idiots because you only like checking out grannies.

--------
Sit Stay Ride: The Story of America's Sidecar Dogs
Watch the trailer, spread the word:
www.sidecardogs.com
Old 04-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #7926
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
However, I have to ask, why read this thread if you don't like the responses? That's like going to Toxic Britney and calling all the posters idiots because you only like checking out grannies.
Some of the responses are funny. Some of the stories are interesting. What I don't get is people who think it's funny to act like a dick to a total stranger, especially one who shows an interest in motorcycles. I am always happy talk to someone about bikes.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #7927
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,648
Quote:
Some of the responses are funny. Some of the stories are interesting. What I don't get is people who think it's funny to act like a dick to a total stranger, especially one who shows an interest in motorcycles. I am always happy talk to someone about bikes.
I think some of the responses to so-called "stupid questions" sound like we're jerks because we're responding to how the question is asked of us.

"What type of bike is that?" is an innocuous question, and usually answered politely.

"What type of fucking bike is that?" asked by a burly gay Harley-Davidson rider carries an entirely different context, and deserves whatever level of smartassness we can generate.

I get a lot of uninformed questions, but rarely do I get stupid questions. And an uninformed question is actually the reason questions were invented: to find out something. I have no problem with most questions.

And, of course, I can never remember the really snarky responses while I'm standing there. I'm usually 10 miles down the road when I think, "Oh, I should have said ___________."

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #7928
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:

Get out of here with your reasonableness!

:-)

I actually have to remind myself not to bore regular people as I could talk bikes all day.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #7929
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourMom View Post

Where is a place for newbies here where I can allow myself to be a girl and ask dumb questions? :3

Little girl is hungry!
DIBS on this one! Ask away, but first, where are you--and send some selfies.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #7930
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
Him: "You don't mind riding in this kind of rain?"

Me: "I'm completely waterproof. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance."
It also matters how you say it, this comment is completely different said with an air of condescension or a lighthearted laugh.

"It's not that I don't mind, so much as... being a KLR owner I'm too cheap to buy a car."
Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #7931
Krzycha
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My first season riding (I was on a ZX9-R - maybe a little much for a first bike). I rode Toronto to Chattanooga (one day) to work in Chattanooga for a week and take week vacation with riding friends in ATL. The end of that 1400km trip from Toronto, within sight of my hotel I lowsided on an offramp. No major damage, was able to ride the bike, though it was scuffed and had a broken turn signal. I bruised my ribs, was wearing full gear, a Spyke leather suit that zips together, boots etc. Gear protected me 100% in the fall.
The following day I'm leaving the plant to get lunch and throw my jacket, gloves and helmet on. Couple random guys in the parking lot ask me - why are you wearing that - it's hot. I say "it's safe". The one dude proceeds to tell me how his buddy fell off his bike and his leather jacket disintegrated and didn't protect his friend and how it's useless. I didn't bother explaining the difference between some random leather and CE certified, top grain, triple stitched jacket (which I wear to this day, it's 13 years old) and the fact that I just crash tested the said jacket less than 24 hours ago, I just rode away.
Krzycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #7932
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourMom View Post

Little girl is hungry! :
Anywhere, but preface your question(s) with some background so folks know what level float an appropriate response.

If you feel shy, pick a likely inmate and send a PM (private message).
Old 04-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #7933
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
A friend has some Big Dog Harley powered thing that looks like something OCC would build and he has a bad back. He can ride about 50 mi before he has to take a break.
We don't ride together.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #7934
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
Not a lot of riders wrench on their own bike for sure!
True... I'd rather wrench on a buddy's bike that screw up my own.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #7935
ElJefeATX
OMGban!!!

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Said with a smile and made the guy laugh, dipshit.

Reminds me of another old saw: don't ASSume... It makes you an asshole.

Or something like that.
ElJefeATX is online now   Reply With Quote