Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 AM   #781
Andy_unaventurous
Lost but not fearful

Oddometer: 70
Now that is the funniest bloody thing I've read for ages. Onya. I'll be singing that line everytime I hear that song for the rest of me bloody life! Beauty.
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
Some people need musical help, so sing the following to the tune of "Give peace a chance"

"All chaps are assssssslesssssss, or else they'd be pants"
Andy_unaventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #782
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatherder
Of course it does - I just expressed mine.

Nope - I'm a limp-wristed boot licking pacivist. I'd just tell you to piss off.

I agree - you go to any event organized by Harley types and its like a fucking costume party. Black leather jacket, assless chaps, black T-shirt with something scary on it (or Harley on it) and that stupid leather vest with all the pins...and it's 95 degrees outside! WTF!

I don't own any Harley t-shirts, or even a scary one, and they look at me funny when I ride up wearing shorts, sandals and shirt with bigass flowers all over it.

Yup - handles like a battleship...and I like that sometimes. Good for a leisurely cruise, and a low center of gravity and wide bars make it easy to ride.

Yeah...shorts and sandals in the summer. And a beanie helmet. Or maybe assless chaps and a thong, if I'm feeling adventurous...but last time I did that I looked in the mirror and there were a bunch of KLR's following me.
Funniest thing I saw recently was a big scary H-D sticker in the back window of this...

I was itching to ask him why he didn't buy a REAL S.U.V.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #783
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
I agree - you go to any event organized by Harley types and its like a fucking costume party. Black leather jacket, assless chaps, black T-shirt with something scary on it (or Harley on it) and that stupid leather vest with all the pins...and it's 95 degrees outside! WTF!
WTF?
I wonder the same thing when 'adventurers' ride through southern UT with more gear than they could possibly need, 3/4 length black jackets in August, etc. They're usually on RTs, GSes or stroms.

I'm thinking local HD riders view it as a genuine costume party.

Now back to the topic at hand...
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #784
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 950
Quote:

I agree - you go to any event organized by BMW types and its like a fucking costume party. Bright yellow jacket, armored pants, silk shirt with something BMW on it and those stupid metal boxes with all the stickers...and it's 95 degrees outside! WTF!
Fixed it for ya!

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:30 AM   #785
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR

I was itching to ask him why he didn't buy a REAL S.U.V.
I'd take the damn thing back myself-- they put the Suzuki emblem on backwards...

'04 GS Adv- A fond memory
'07 990 Adventure- still bonding...

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #786
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
WTF?
I wonder the same thing when 'adventurers' ride through southern UT with more gear than they could possibly need, 3/4 length black jackets in August, etc. They're usually on RTs, GSes or stroms.

I'm thinking local HD riders view it as a genuine costume party.

Now back to the topic at hand...
Okay, it was early June, but the temps were still high enough as we got south! It's easier to pack just one jacket than my whole riding wardrobe, given that we rode through snow, thunderstorms and the like en route to UT/AZ, the 3/4 length black jacket made sense to me. Travelling through high mountain passes in the Rockies down to the desert, especially in June, there are huge variations in temperatures - had similar experiences last year when we rode the coast to Death Valley (though no snow that time). Packing for a long trip means making choices, but to each his own. YMMV

BTW - the stupid questions we got on the snow day were similar to why we would ride in the snow? Answer - it wasn't snowing when we started at Jackson Hole and this little pocket of snow was only about 50 kms long around Moonlight Basin MT.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #787
Blinkerfluid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Last year on my trip around the NE I stopped at the top of some cliff (not the one pictured here) to take some pictures dressed like this:

(I know the girls are distracting to some of you, try to stay focused )

Anyway, I walked up to the edge of the cliff and snapped a few quick shots.. didn't take my helmet or gloves off.. When I turned around and started walking back to my bike (about 50 yrds away through some trees), This kid (maybe 15 y.o.) comes running up the trail:

Kid: "How was it?"
Me: "How was what??"
Kid: "The cliff! You just climbed up didn't you?"
Me: " No No, this is just my riding gear"
Kid: "oh"

Seriously, who has ever seen any mountain climber that looks remotely like an ATGATT rider?
Blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #788
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid
Last year on my trip around the NE I stopped at the top of some cliff (not the one pictured here) to take some pictures dressed like this:

(I know the girls are distracting to some of you, try to stay focused )

Anyway, I walked up to the edge of the cliff and snapped a few quick shots.. didn't take my helmet or gloves off.. When I turned around and started walking back to my bike (about 50 yrds away through some trees), This kid (maybe 15 y.o.) comes running up the trail:

Seriously, who has ever seen any mountain climber that looks remotely like an ATGATT rider?
"Its my Iron Man suit. I flew up here."
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #789
FILLETI
mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackhawk
I ride with my hack and dog probably ninety percent of the time. Almost everytime i stop it almost never fails that someone ask #1,"does he like riding in there"? I have now gotten so tired of hearing it that my new response is "no he hates it i just beat him till he stays in there". you should see there faces.#2 "How did you train him to stay in the sidecar?" response "duct tape" #3 "Does he ever jump out?" and i respond "Oh yeah all the time but he has only been run over three times"! these arent really stupid per say just annoying
How about:
I think he likes it, but you should ask him!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #790
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid
I walked up to the edge of the cliff and snapped a few quick shots.. didn't take my helmet or gloves off.. When I turned around and started walking back to my bike, this kid (maybe 15 y.o.) comes running up the trail:

To a 15 year old participant of our public eduction system, in possession of all of the observational and critical thinking skills imparted therein, anything is possible.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #791
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man
To a 15 year old participant of our public eduction system, in possession of all of the observational and critical thinking skills imparted therein, anything is possible.
Thank the deities for a good gifted student progrm, where such traits are actually encouraged.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #792
TwoShots
Vagabond

Question

Yesterday... YET AGAIN: "How many miles on it?"

I'm usually speechless. I mean whether it's 5 miles or 50K, WTF difference does it make?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 AM   #793
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,473
My overwhelming response to this thread is, can't you people by nice to people who just want to make small-talk? Most people are clueless about motorcycling so when they make comments about the weather, the make of your bike, or how far you've ridden, it's just a way for them to express interest in what you're doing. The smart-ass responses written here leave me with my head shaking.

As for a contribution to the thread, tonight I pulled into work. A coworker was outside said to me, "I didn't know you rode a bike."

My reply: "Every day."

Then he says, "Except when it's going to rain, right?"

I repeated, "Every day."

Then he asked, "What do you do when it snows?"

As I took off my riding jacket and walked toward him I said, "This is Memphis. I haven't yet been in a snow where I couldn't ride. I'm not worried about it." He went on to tell me that if and when he can afford a motorcycle, he'd be a "hard-core rider" like me.

What's interesting is that there was another fellow there who I didn't know. And when I got up to them, he told the story about how a few years ago during some unseasonably cold weather he opted to ride his bike to some family event. His wife protested and as he explained, "[I'd] rather be on my bike than in your minivan." Maybe he's a member here.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:36 AM   #794
TwoShots
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
My overwhelming response to this thread is, can't you people by nice to people who just want to make small-talk? Most people are clueless about motorcycling so when they make comments about the weather, the make of your bike, or how far you've ridden, it's just a way for them to express interest in what you're doing. The smart-ass responses written here leave me with my head shaking.
My overwhelming response to your posts is, can't you get through one without you trying to teach someone a lesson or without it being all about you? The constant egocentric replies leave me wondering what form of therapy you would need if ADVRider went away.

Not everyone is into small talk. Many prefer more substance in conversation. So what.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 AM   #795
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
My overwhelming response to your posts is, can't you get through one without you trying to teach someone a lesson or without it being all about you? The constant egocentric replies leave me wondering what form of therapy you would need if ADVRider went away.

Not everyone is into small talk. Many prefer more substance in conversation. So what.
Some people get all bunchy-underpants the moment Mr. Rodgers looses contol and people start saying what they really think/feel in their "out loud" voices. This tends to give the species called Thinnus Skinnus the big massive hurty the moment they see it in print.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote