Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #7981
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
It is possible to imagine a scenario in which a rider would have survived if he/she hadn't been wearing a helmet. Maybe a case where a rider comes off and the additional bulk of the helmet results in a neck injury? Maybe from hitting an object that, had the rider been helmetless, he/she would have just barely missed?

That said, of course, it's far easier to come up with much more likely scenarios where the helmet will provide protection. It's kind of like the argument against seatbelts. Maybe there is a one in a million chance that you could get into a crash where not wearing a seatbelt (or helmet in our case) would have been better, but for those other 999,999 crashes, I'd rather be wearing the appropriate safety gear.
I agree.
I came upon on an accident scene once with a car flipped on it's roof. The gal inside couldn't get her seat belt to release because her weight was holding the release. No, she wasn't over weight. I ran back to my car and grabbed the only thing that would cut...a pair of tin snips. Ran back and cut the belt.
It could have been deadly if the car had caught fire but I'm sure it would have been deadly if she had not been wearing it.

That was one of those rare cases...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #7982
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I agree.
I came upon on an accident scene once with a car flipped on it's roof. The gal inside couldn't get her seat belt to release because her weight was holding the release. No, she wasn't over weight. I ran back to my car and grabbed the only thing that would cut...a pair of tin snips. Ran back and cut the belt.
It could have been deadly if the car had caught fire but I'm sure it would have been deadly if she had not been wearing it.

That was one of those rare cases...
Perfect reason to not be caught without a knife.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #7983
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
for ice the only mitigation is studded tires or chains.
First off, I'm a carpet baggin yank and, based on observation, do not believe my arctic bound brethren, as a whole, are particularly skilled at driving in the low friction conditions offered up by our wintery clime. That said, you are mistaken regarding the need for studs or chains. Ice does not result in zero friction and studs are not an absolute necessity. The Michigan Ice Racing Association's most popular classes are rubber to ice (no studs). In fact, although they now run several classes allowing studded tires, MIRA originally only ran two classes (engine over drive wheels and engine not over drive wheels) and studs were not allowed in either.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #7984
cgourlay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
On my way back to Vegas from Death Valley on a rented Tiger 800, I pull into Pahrump for a quick fast food meal. As I'm dismounting this guy in a pickup pulls up next to me and says "Hey, you're bike is too quiet, I didn't see you coming because your bike is too quiet."

Good stuff asshole. Don't bother actually looking out for motorcycle riders, because you expect everyone to have some obnoxious straight pipes.
cgourlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #7985
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
I am in MSF Rider Coach cert school. Friday was the first night of student teaching an actual class. Student told me loud pipes save lives. I normally reply with loud pipes only risk rights, since I was being evaluated, I was nice. I explained to him that sound waves are directional and the only way loud exhaust will be heard in front is to point his exhaust pipes to the front. Other wise they only warn (annoy) those you have already passed.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #7986
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
I am in MSF Rider Coach cert school. Friday was the first night of student teaching an actual class. Student told me loud pipes save lives. I normally reply with loud pipes only risk rights, since I was being evaluated, I was nice. I explained to him that sound waves are directional and the only way loud exhaust will be heard in front is to point his exhaust pipes to the front. Other wise they only warn (annoy) those you have already passed.
One of my co-workers is a Harley rider and knows not to pull any of the loud pipes stuff around me. Even better I over heard him telling a non-riding co-worker about the loud pipes alerting people, but that he doesn't mind them being loud as they are behind him so they aren't loud to him. Then the person he's talking to go "well then how do the cars in front of you hear them then". He was like . I almost died laughing.
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #7987
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphoneman View Post
One of my co-workers is a Harley rider and knows not to pull any of the loud pipes stuff around me. Even better I over heard him telling a non-riding co-worker about the loud pipes alerting people, but that he doesn't mind them being loud as they are behind him so they aren't loud to him. Then the person he's talking to go "well then how do the cars in front of you hear them then". He was like . I almost died laughing.
Then... he got a million dollar idea: turn the pipes around
Old 05-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #7988
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Then some idiot did it:

Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #7989
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Perfect reason to not be caught without a knife.
I have two of these. One with my fire brigade kit, and one in my first aid kit on the bike.

http://www.holmatro.com/en/vehicle-r...ter.html?c=231

They cut through a seatbelt like a chainsaw through butter

2 weeks ago I was in a rush to get to the fire station (volunteer brigade, station is unmanned and we respond via SMS and paging system) and I didn't notice my Holmatro wasn't tucked into my pocket properly. It's attached via a retractable I.D holder, and when I jumped out somehow on some freak chance it has jagged my car seatbelt. Fucks me how. I've looked at tried to replicate it a few times. I felt a slight tug on my uniform and looked to find this thing has cut half way through my cars seatbelt!

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.

Has anyone said anything stupid to me lately? Nah. People have been nice and friendly here lately. A few people stare and smile at my wife and I when we jump off the bike but nothing otherwise. I'll wait till the weather gets around freezing, then go for a good ride.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #7990
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Ask someone why they don't do that and I bet that "It would be too loud" is one of answers. The reply to which should be... "Bingo!"
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #7991
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
What an "interesting" thing (I was going to type "awful abomination".) It deserves a thread all of its own
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #7992
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Walking into work today, the security guard asked what building I jumped off of.
Full gear, helmet in hand and back pack on.
I smiled and replied all of them.
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #7993
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtaco View Post

Walking into work today, the security guard asked what building I jumped off of.
Full gear, helmet in hand and back pack on.
I smiled and replied all of them.

Brilliant.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #7994
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
I always asked them: "So, how many sides are your car wheels attached on ?"
I've got to remember that one! A few guys at work were asking about bikes so I was giving them ideas. I showed them some ducatis and a guy said that rear wheel would probably fall off. I wish I had thought of your response. It's fun showing guys bikes that are genuinely interested in getting them, but the thing I like most is knowing that I can get them onto a good starter bike instead of them walking into a dealership and getting shown the fastest thing on the showroom floor for their first bike. Being in the military I've known too many guys fall victim to that.

and.... Not stupid, not original, but kinda funny.....

Him: What kind of bike is that?
Me: It's a Honda XR650L dual sport.
Him: Is it fast?
Me: Yeah man, it's faster than anything in this parking lot (Skylines, RX-7s, Silvias a WRX and a few other tuners)
Him: Your bike is really faster than those cars?
Me: As long as I get to pick the course
Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #7995
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 454
On the homeward bound commute yesterday another rider started riding behind me for several miles. At a stop light he pulls up next to me and we exchange greetings. I asked what year his Shadow is and he asks about mine. Then he says, "That's a Shadow?" with real surprise in his voice, "I thought that was a Harley!"

How can one not recognize the exact same make and model of motorcycle as the one they are currently sitting on? They are only one year apart (identical really). Only the color was different.