Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #796
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
My overwhelming response to your posts is, can't you get through one without you trying to teach someone a lesson or without it being all about you? The constant egocentric replies leave me wondering what form of therapy you would need if ADVRider went away.

Not everyone is into small talk. Many prefer more substance in conversation. So what.
Jamie Z is a nice guy. And nice people do not (or can not) sit idly by when others are rude.

If you do not like reading his "good guy approach" then put him on ignore and block him. I like hearing what he has to say.

The ignore button works well. I have several ignorant people that pop up from the basement on ignore.

Don't make me put you on ignore.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #797
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Some people get all bunchy-underpants the moment Mr. Rodgers looses contol and people start saying what they really think/feel in their "out loud" voices. This tends to give the species called Thinnus Skinnus the big massive hurty the moment they see it in print.
Whether you meant it or not...

Quote:
Some people get all bunchy-underpants...
I must share this phrase with my daughter during our quality/goof time this afternoon. She'll love it.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #798
Merle O'Broham
too beaucoup

Oddometer: 1,625
dumbyness

At a stoplight last year.

Wow, an NX650! That could probably blow away a Gixxer 600.

No, not really. Maybe in the dirt.

(confused look)

It's like comparing a Jeep to a Camaro.

Cool, so you'd win, huh?
Merle O'Broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #799
oj may
Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer: 2,541
If I were to meet an Adv Rider on the road or off, I would be pleased if it was Jamie.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #800
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojmay
If I were to meet an Adv Rider on the road or off, I would be pleased if it was Jamie.
Yea, me too. (and he could teach us some neat tricks about cheap camping too!)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #801
Benjamin M
Back to Mono

Oddometer: 56
"Sorry, didn't see you there!"

Benjamin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #802
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
I havent gotten any stupid/funny comments while on my bikes. When I had the KLR, people who knew bikes made fun of me(I expected as much), and with the VFR people stop and say "nice bike", mostly because of the colors but thats about it! Well one time a cop said to me(after a low side), I dont understand why you arent leaving here in a helicopter". Does that count?
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #803
deaconjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
My overwhelming response to this thread is, can't you people by nice to people who just want to make small-talk? Most people are clueless about motorcycling so when they make comments about the weather, the make of your bike, or how far you've ridden, it's just a way for them to express interest in what you're doing. The smart-ass responses written here leave me with my head shaking.

Jamie
2000 KX 250
deaconjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:58 AM   #804
Pappy541
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
This past weekend we had our first little cold snap if you can call it that.
We ( my wife and I ride 2-up) went out of town to do some riding and stayed 2 nights in a hotel. Saturday was 40 degrees, windy and a drizzle rain most of the day

I can not count the number of times people made comments such as wow I bet you are cold on that bike. Or I bet that breeze sure makes it cold riding that bike.
Stopped at a mountain overlook and a dude and his wife walked over and wanted to talk. He rode a bike but it was too cold for him to ride and they just kept talking about how cold we must be. A little of this goes a long way.
Just like we told them all, keep the wind off your skin and wear the right gear and it is all good. Most just thought we were nuts.

Pappy541 screwed with this post 10-19-2009 at 11:08 AM
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #805
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541
This past weekend we had our first little cold snap if you can call it that.
We ( my wife and I ride 2-up) went out of town to do some riding and stayed 2 nights in a hotel. Saturday was 40 degrees, windy and a drizzle ran most of the day

I can not count the number of times people made comments such as wow I bet you are cold on that bike. Or I bet that breeze sure makes it cold riding that bike.
Stopped at a mountain overlook and a dude and his wife walked over and wanted to talk. He rode a bike but it was too cold for him to ride and they just kept talking about how cold we must be. A little of this goes a long way.
Just like we told them all, keep the wind off you skin and wear the right gear and it is all good. Most just thought we were nuts.
Yeah, a lot of people don't really understand how well gear can work. Last week I got to work one morning with the temperature hovering around freezing and some honest-to-dog snow falling around me. A guy who was standing outside smoking a cigarette sarcastically noted that it was a 'great day to ride'. I agreed, and asked him if he was comfortable (under his umbrella, wrapped in a jacket). "Not really" he said. "I am" I replied with a flourish.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #806
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
I like Jamie's way of looking at it. 99% of people I've met on my bike or in my car (Mustang GT....man, I've gotten some good stories from people coming up to coment on it) are nice and I am a nice person too. Why the hell wouldn't I be nice to someone I've just met. I don't judge people right off the bat just because they don't know much about the brand I'm riding or motorcycling in general and I'm not much for small talk either, but all new friendships starts in small talk. I like humans and often times on the GS I've had people come up to me starting out with the "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles" and I greet them with a smile and a "and I usually respond to that kind of opening with, I didn't know they made anything else". If I was rude to the people I met I wouldn't have heard any of the really cool stories I've heard from people here in the US and Canada.
That doesn't mean I'm a pushover, press the wrong buttons with me and you will know my opinion.
The other day I'm out riding my new pride and joy. I stopped at the grosery store to get a cig and restroom. When I come out a young guy is about to get in his Mini Cooper and I'm standing there looking lovingly at my bike (it's sick, I know, can't help myself....won't help myself ) and he starts out by saying "I've never liked BMW. They're ugly and I don't understand the whole look of them, but yours is nice, for a BMW"
I said "I can't figure out if you paid me a compliment or you just fucking offended me! What was it dude?!"
He retreated pretty fast after that (I can be veeeery stern when I'm not goofing off ) and it turns out he owns a custom bike shop where they trick the crap out of Japanese sport machines.
Great stories he told me.....but he still had me pissed off so I wasn't as friendly and talkable as I usually am and I wasn't sad to see him go
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #807
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offblnz
I like Jamie's way of looking at it. 99% of people I've met on my bike or in my car (Mustang GT....man, I've gotten some good stories from people coming up to coment on it) are nice and I am a nice person too. Why the hell wouldn't I be nice to someone I've just met.
Okay, I'm really getting tired of reading this same sentiment every few posts. The title of the the thread is "Stupid questions," not "Innocent Remarks from Individuals not versed in the Motorcycle World." If you want that thread, make one.

"Dude, that bike is sick. It's like Mad Max or Batman or something. What made you do it like that?"

OP: "It's got to be nice filling up one of those things, what kinda mileage does it get?" a Prius owner, I'm on my Bandit
Me: "Only 40, but that's almost twice as much as my car."
OP: "Must be nice to not have to fill up as much when you're on your bike though."
Me: "Yea, it would be, except I have to fill up twice as often."

Moped-man: I'm wanting to get a sportbike like that, but can't afford it. Can you ride a motorcycle without a license? You wanna switch bikes and go for a little ride?
Me: Um, no, and you need a license to ride a bike, and insurance, and registration, unlike a moped.

Draechon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #808
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Sort of an amuzing conversation

I was on my way to the BMWMOA Falling Leaf Rally, in Potosi, Mo. last Friday. I had been riding my KLR all day in the cold rain, and pulled into a convenience store to buy some supplies for the evening. I didn't realize it at first, but a car followed me off the highway. I parked in front of the store and the car pulled up right behind me. I looked back and thought I was blocking him, so I pushed the bike forward a bit, to get out of the way. He got out said, I was okay where I was and started to ask me about my KLR. HE wanted to know everything. How tall the seat was, how fast it would go, how much it cost, etc. He said he was thinking about buying a Harley. The guy was really curious.

I answered all his questions, and started inside the store. He followed me in, and continued to ask questions. Soon I realized, he wasn't in there to buy anything, he just wanted to talk to me about the bike. I answered a few more questions and he left the store. After paying for my purchases, I went outside and he was standing there looking at the bike. Anyway, after a few more questions, I saddled up and rode off.

I guess we could all make fun of him, but I think he was just really curious about something he was considering doing. I remember a few years ago at an enduro, a kid showed up on a 600 Ninja with knobby tires. Everyone was making fun of him, and the bike was buried axle deep in the first mud hole. But the kid really wanted to ride an enduro and using what he had to do so.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #809
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offblnz
... he starts out by saying "I've never liked BMW. They're ugly and I don't understand the whole look of them, but yours is nice, for a BMW"
I said "I can't figure out if you paid me a compliment or you just fucking offended me! What was it dude?!"
He retreated pretty fast after that...
See, here's the thing. Had you been in a better mood, you could have made that same response with a crooked little grin on your face and he would have known you were joking. If someone asks a stupid question, a lot of times a sarcastic answer, offered in the right way, can be just a friendly little dope slap that results in both parties laughing it off. (D'oh! Yeah, that was kind of dumb of me to ask you if that bike with the word "Kawasaki" on the tank is a Harley.) Unless of course the recipient of the sarcasm is completely insecure and takes offense any time someone points out a mistake of theirs.

My point is not that Offblnz is a jerk and should have been nicer, but that how you say something is as important as what you say. While some of the responses heretofore posted were obviously meant in a mean-spirited way, many of them may not have been. Unless you were there, maybe you should pause a bit before passing judgement.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #810
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
See, here's the thing. Had you been in a better mood, you could have made that same response with a crooked little grin on your face and he would have known you were joking. If someone asks a stupid question, a lot of times a sarcastic answer, offered in the right way, can be just a friendly little dope slap that results in both parties laughing it off. (D'oh! Yeah, that was kind of dumb of me to ask you if that bike with the word "Kawasaki" on the tank is a Harley.) Unless of course the recipient of the sarcasm is completely insecure and takes offense any time someone points out a mistake of theirs.

My point is not that Offblnz is a jerk and should have been nicer, but that how you say something is as important as what you say. While some of the responses heretofore posted were obviously meant in a mean-spirited way, many of them may not have been. Unless you were there, maybe you should pause a bit before passing judgement.
Oh, but I was in an exelent moode that's why we kept talking while I smoked 2 cigs And again, I was nice to him, like I said, I still got myself a good story and we found out we had mutual friends. So all was good when he left. It was the way he made the comment that brought about my response. I'm not into macho BS and, again, I like people and I would have hoped you would be able to see that out of my post. I come from a country where irony and sarcasm is a national treasure but it's not something widely understood over here and sometimes I forget that.
In a conversation as this there is no facial expresions, no hand gestures and the tone of voice can not be heard. My reply was to the replies that spanked Jamie for being a nice person as if that is a bad thing and also a reply to people who may think it is "cool" to be mean to others just because they want to know more about what kind of human being rides a bloody bike when it's 35F and piss raining and seems to get a laugh out of it.
It seems to me that you are doing exactly what you are accusing me of doing....but that is fine, we'll either keep disagreeing cause we misunderstand each other or we'll figure out that we're not far from each other in the way we meet and greet people
As to this thread, I find a lot of the answers really, really funny without being mean and then I find the ones that are given by people that find themselves to better than the other person to be ignorant and, to me, an odd way of moving through life and I can only hope I don't have the displeasure to meet them and ask them a question that they deem unworthy to answer.
Does that clear it up a bit for you who I might be?
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote