Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #811
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offblnz
I like Jamie's way of looking at it. 99% of people I've met on my bike or in my car (Mustang GT....man, I've gotten some good stories from people coming up to coment on it) are nice and I am a nice person too. Why the hell wouldn't I be nice to someone I've just met. I don't judge people right off the bat just because they don't know much about the brand I'm riding or motorcycling in general and I'm not much for small talk either, but all new friendships starts in small talk. I like humans and often times on the GS I've had people come up to me starting out with the "I didn't know BMW made motorcycles" and I greet them with a smile and a "and I usually respond to that kind of opening with, I didn't know they made anything else". If I was rude to the people I met I wouldn't have heard any of the really cool stories I've heard from people here in the US and Canada.
That doesn't mean I'm a pushover, press the wrong buttons with me and you will know my opinion.
The other day I'm out riding my new pride and joy. I stopped at the grosery store to get a cig and restroom. When I come out a young guy is about to get in his Mini Cooper and I'm standing there looking lovingly at my bike (it's sick, I know, can't help myself....won't help myself ) and he starts out by saying "I've never liked BMW. They're ugly and I don't understand the whole look of them, but yours is nice, for a BMW"
I said "I can't figure out if you paid me a compliment or you just fucking offended me! What was it dude?!"
He retreated pretty fast after that (I can be veeeery stern when I'm not goofing off ) and it turns out he owns a custom bike shop where they trick the crap out of Japanese sport machines.
Great stories he told me.....but he still had me pissed off so I wasn't as friendly and talkable as I usually am and I wasn't sad to see him go
You might have informed him that BMW now owns/ builds mini coopers (unless it was an original) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #812
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,807
Jamie, you're right. There are a lot of douchebags in this thread. I actually think there are a lot of people who make shit up in their heads after a gas station encounter and think, "man, that woulda been funny!" Then they write it here when they get home. Who knows, maybe they're all actually douchebags though, and we've corralled 'em all in this thread.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #813
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC
Well one time a cop said to me(after a low side), I dont understand why you arent leaving here in a helicopter". Does that count?
Good gear is funny like that...

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #814
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR
You might have informed him that BMW now owns/ builds mini coopers (unless it was an original) .
That just added another dimension for me when he said "I know it's made by BMW, but it's not really like their other cars, this is so cool, I love this car..."
No, I did have fun meeting him like I usually do meeting anyone no matter where in the world they're from.
I think of my bike as a rolling greeting machine. It seems to me all bikes are like that. They atract people no matter how rubbish the owner might think his/her bike looks. If I'm in a hurry and have to gas up and get stuff from the store, it's really hard to get back out to the bike because there's always someone who wants to have a little chat. I find that to be one of the best things about these things. I drove to California and back last summer in the car and people who stopped to talk to me was mostly older or mature guys who used to have the original ones of either the Mustang, Corvette, SS, GT a.s.o. but it wasn't people whom didn't know anything about cars and it wasn't like it happened very often. 7000 miles and I think I can count them on one hand, but a few I met used to race cars and they gave me some good laughs. Funny as hell some of the things they got away with back then

Offblnz screwed with this post 10-19-2009 at 09:25 AM
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #815
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Oh, but I was in an exelent moode that's why we kept talking while I smoked 2 cigs And again, I was nice to him, like I said, I still got myself a good story and we found out we had mutual friends. So all was good when he left. It was the way he made the comment that brought about my response. I'm not into macho BS and, again, I like people and I would have hoped you would be able to see that out of my post. I come from a country where irony and sarcasm is a national treasure but it's not something widely understood over here and sometimes I forget that.
In a conversation as this there is no facial expresions, no hand gestures and the tone of voice can not be heard. My reply was to the replies that spanked Jamie for being a nice person as if that is a bad thing and also a reply to people who may think it is "cool" to be mean to others just because they want to know more about what kind of human being rides a bloody bike when it's 35F and piss raining and seems to get a laugh out of it.
It seems to me that you are doing exactly what you are accusing me of doing....but that is fine, we'll either keep disagreeing cause we misunderstand each other or we'll figure out that we're not far from each other in the way we meet and greet people
As to this thread, I find a lot of the answers really, really funny without being mean and then I find the ones that are given by people that find themselves to better than the other person to be ignorant and, to me, an odd way of moving through life and I can only hope I don't have the displeasure to meet them and ask them a question that they deem unworthy to answer.
Does that clear it up a bit for you who I might be?
I'm sorry my post came across as criticizing you; I didn't mean to accuse you of anything. Your post was just the most convenient for illustrating my point. In fact, your point about no facial expressions or hand gestures points out the primary point of my point. So point taken.

As for misinterpreting your post, I guess "he still had me pissed off" and "I wasn't sad to see him go" led me to believe the experience was less than positive for you.

And in regards to clearing up who you might be, I am reluctant to draw too many conclusions about anybody based on what they post under the anonymity of the internet. You or I could be a total waste of skin, or the nicest guy on the planet. Maybe someday we'll meet somewhere and we'll both find out which it is.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #816
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
I'm sorry my post came across as criticizing you; I didn't mean to accuse you of anything. Your post was just the most convenient for illustrating my point. In fact, your point about no facial expressions or hand gestures points out the primary point of my point. So point taken.

As for misinterpreting your post, I guess "he still had me pissed off" and "I wasn't sad to see him go" led me to believe the experience was less than positive for you.

And in regards to clearing up who you might be, I am reluctant to draw too many conclusions about anybody based on what they post under the anonymity of the internet. You or I could be a total waste of skin, or the nicest guy on the planet. Maybe someday we'll meet somewhere and we'll both find out which it is.
First paragraph

Second. No, not negative at all! My comment about sarcasm and ironi should explain.

Third. You're so right but you will not get me to admit that I'm a waste of skin. In regards to meeting up someday, I sure hope to get a good ride in next spring/summer on the new K12S. Be sure to remind me to bring beer on my way south
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #817
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
In regards to meeting up someday, I sure hope to get a good ride in next spring/summer on the new K12S. Be sure to remind me to bring beer on my way south
Or I could point the Strom northward. Ain't been back to the alma mater in nigh on a decade.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #818
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Or I could point the Strom northward. Ain't been back to the alma mater in nigh on a decade.
I've got room and a safe driveway (no garage anymore ) and you are more than welcome Then I don't have to worry about smashing up the beer on the bike either. Set your date!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #819
Langers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I commute from Fairfield, CT into Manhattan every day and my favouritte is still 'you ride all the way in?', the question still stuns me into silence.
I get changed in the parking garage and one day last week when it was 37 degrees in the mornign I was asked 5 times how I rode all the way in wearing a suit.

For the most part people who talk to you when you're out riding are just genuinely interested in your bike/travels/conversation and I really don't mind answering a few silly questions now and again for the value of some of the gems of anecdotes you can pick up.
Langers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #820
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
"Doesn't that CT make it impossible to turn" Actually just shows they're observant and interested. Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #821
Dream Rider
Servant

Oddometer: 192
stupid questions

I didn't know BMW made motorcycles. I reply:"I didn't know they made cars until I passed one." Or if'in you ride one of those you aint 'merican. They of course don't know about the 24 years of military service but I do ask if they know where all the parts come from on their "'merican ride. Hell, talk to the people. You might be able to educate a few.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #822
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer
I was on my way to the BMWMOA Falling Leaf Rally, in Potosi, Mo. last Friday. I had been riding my KLR all day in the cold rain, and pulled into a convenience store to buy some supplies for the evening. I didn't realize it at first, but a car followed me off the highway. I parked in front of the store and the car pulled up right behind me. I looked back and thought I was blocking him, so I pushed the bike forward a bit, to get out of the way. He got out said, I was okay where I was and started to ask me about my KLR. HE wanted to know everything. How tall the seat was, how fast it would go, how much it cost, etc. He said he was thinking about buying a Harley. The guy was really curious.

I answered all his questions, and started inside the store. He followed me in, and continued to ask questions. Soon I realized, he wasn't in there to buy anything, he just wanted to talk to me about the bike. I answered a few more questions and he left the store. After paying for my purchases, I went outside and he was standing there looking at the bike. Anyway, after a few more questions, I saddled up and rode off.

I guess we could all make fun of him, but I think he was just really curious about something he was considering doing. I remember a few years ago at an enduro, a kid showed up on a 600 Ninja with knobby tires. Everyone was making fun of him, and the bike was buried axle deep in the first mud hole. But the kid really wanted to ride an enduro and using what he had to do so.
I think the needle on my mental "Kook Detector" wold have pegged. I would have been sure to leave in a way that he could not follow. Probably not the best response; but, once I realize it have been "singled out" I start thinking "targeted." I generally wont stick around to find out what I was targeted for.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #823
mmitchell57
Vulcan Halfbreed

Oddometer: 2,193
Quote:
... point of my point. So point taken.
So, your point was to prove his point about the point of the story in which he pointed to the point of this thread. In reality, the pointing of the points to redirected points is all pointing back upon itself in a self pointing non-pointing pointed fashion?

1969 CB350 - Restoration Project
1962 Ford Fairlane 500 - Restoration / DD project
mmitchell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #824
MidLifeCrisis
Wannabe

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
So, your point was to prove his point about the point of the story in which he pointed to the point of this thread. In reality, the pointing of the points to redirected points is all pointing back upon itself in a self pointing non-pointing pointed fashion?
Good point.

I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
MidLifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #825
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis
Good point.
poindexter
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote