Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #8491
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
I think that's the only guy on earth ever called one tough looking, for sure.
He may have meant "tuff," like The Outsiders tuff.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #8492
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,861
If it is a white PC800, you could have responded 3.8 liters. As in 3.8 liters per flush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgrego View Post
Riding home from work Friday on my 1989 PC800, a guy in a minivan pulls up beside me at a light and rolls down his window.

Minivan guy yells "Hey what size is that?"
I reply "800cc's"
him: "Issata Honda?"
me: "Yeah, a Pacific Coast 800"
him: "That thing looks tough, they sure are making some nice bikes these days!"

Thankfully my helmet mostly covered my confused look. I think I said something like thanks.

I'm fairly certain that's the first time anyone has ever complimented the style of a PC800, and I'm positive that's the first time since the 90's it's been mistaken for a new model.

-Patrick

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 AM   #8493
gifters
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Son View Post
I just got back from a cross country trip (NC-CO, 4880miles, 11days) and as I was taking a Ferry across Mississippi I ran into a group of what I can only assume was a pretty rough MC, called the Sons of Silence (don't know too much about them). Imagine cresting a hill to the ferry waiting point, me on my BMW G650 in ATGATT and seeing about 30 HDs with some of the roughest dudes I've ever seen. I was a little worried but parked my bike and went over to read the sign about fees and times when about 7 of them started circling my little bike. I calmly walked over and the biggest of them said to me "where you going on the dirt bike?" I said I was going to CO, left NC and plan to ride a little under 5000miles in my two weeks of leave time. After that I couldn't turn down enough smokes, these guys loved it. They thought I was the crazy one for riding so long so fast. Though it was insane I would camp out. I showed them my homemade panniers and how I was set up with food, stove, tent, etc. We road the ferry across and they told me to ride in the rear to the next town so I'd know how to get there. I'm still not sure what type of illicit activities these guys are involved in, but they were great to me.
Almost tasered one, he respectful of the roll and the situation he was in was starting to escalate, he didn't want to be in it either. We had a group of them in our area but they were relatively quiet and stayed off the radar for the most part.
gifters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #8494
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Sons of Silence

I went to a rally in Iowa once and overhead a conversation. The son and father were going to meet Thursday night but didn't connect until the morning. When the son asked where the dad and slept he said over by the deaf motorcycle gang, the dad thought it would be a quiet place to sleep. Turned out the Sons of Silence were not as quiet as he expected.

Everyone around got a big kick out of it.
Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #8495
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifters View Post
Almost tasered one, he respectful of the roll and the situation he was in was starting to escalate, he didn't want to be in it either. We had a group of them in our area but they were relatively quiet and stayed off the radar for the most part.
The Prez of the Rock Springs Chapter is a welder where I work. Very low key MC, which tells me they are running guns for the Irish or some other shit.

Very low key.................................
FongMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #8496
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by FongMan View Post
The Prez of the Rock Springs Chapter is a welder where I work. Very low key MC, which tells me they are running guns for the Irish or some other shit.

I used to live near a chapter clubhouse in Indiana. You'd never know what it was from the outside. All the bikes parked in back.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:13 AM   #8497
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by FongMan View Post

Funny
C/1/509 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #8498
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Funny

Do you happen to live in Alaska!! I ride by Attu Hall every morning to work.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #8499
Biomed Guy
Socially Inept

Oddometer: 85
Stopped in a store today, I'm ATGATT, carrying my jacket, and the guy behind the counter asked why I was all bundled up, was it cold out? (87*F and very humid) I said, no, it was to keep from needing a skin graft. He looked puzzled, so I explained about the cagers that are intent on not paying attention and trying to kill me, and the deer at night on my way home that want to ride with me. After talking for a few minutes, he said, "Oh, I never thought of that." Life is continuing education and I'm more than happy to help those that are willing to learn.

My wife: Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
Me: That's not why I hate you...
Biomed Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #8500
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
I sometimes wonder if the average non-rider realizes that real riding gear (as opposed to the Army/Navy store MC jackets that were popular with the heavy metal crowd) is armored and for protection from more than just the elements...
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #8501
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I sometimes wonder if the average non-rider realizes that real riding gear (as opposed to the Army/Navy store MC jackets that were popular with the heavy metal crowd) is armored and for protection from more than just the elements...
Stop wondering. The answer is NO.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #8502
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomed Guy View Post
Stopped in a store today, I'm ATGATT, carrying my jacket, and the guy behind the counter asked why I was all bundled up, was it cold out? (87*F and very humid) I said, no, it was to keep from needing a skin graft. He looked puzzled, so I explained about the cagers that are intent on not paying attention and trying to kill me, and the deer at night on my way home that want to ride with me. After talking for a few minutes, he said, "Oh, I never thought of that." Life is continuing education and I'm more than happy to help those that are willing to learn.
When I was doing my ride around the US I was constantly asked that same question - I gave a very similar response you "because when I fall off, I want to be able to get up after and keep going".

I must have been asked at least a dozen time in the space of 5 weeks - far more than I've been asked in over 20 years of riding in the UK and Europe.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #8503
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,105
That is because European riders are a different breed. I usually knew from a distance if a rider was American. He was the only one wear jeans on a tour. That is were I started wearing real motorcycle gear including m/c pants.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #8504
McAninch35
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I never know what people are asking me, too lazy to take the earplugs out
McAninch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #8505
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I take it you've never had some dude just squeeze the armor in your jacket before?

"Whatthefuck--- Personal space, motherfucker! Out of my bubble!"