User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,264
KTM Hydrolic Clutch, What Type of Oil?

Got a KTM 450EXC with a hydrolic clutch and no manual. What type of oil is used for the clutch? The reservoir says Mineral Oil Only, are we supposed to use motor oil? Also, what's the drill for bleeding it, same as doing brakes?

Thanks for any info you can share.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,274
Try ktmtalk.com.

I hear automatic transmission fluid and fill from the bottom to push bubbles out the top (reservoir) because of the low viscosity of fluid and vertical nature of the system.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
No motor oil in the clutch!!! No brake fluid in the clutch.

[EDIT: Ignore this "Plain old mineral oil or maybe the fancy Magura mineral oil. Otherwise just use the cheap mineral oil from CVS or your pharmacy of choice." ]

[EDIT: Just looked at the 2005 manual and it says to "use BIODEGRADABLE HYDRAULIC OIL Never mix BIODEGRADABLE HYDRAULIC OIL with Mineral Oils. Never refill with Mineral Hydraulic Oil or Brake Fluid." It suggests Motorex Kupplungs-Fluid 75.]

[EDIT: The earlier manual says to use SAE 10 BIODEGRADABLE HYDRAULIC OIL]

KTM will sell you a syringe for about $37.00 that will attach to the bleeder on the clutch slave cylinder. Then you take the top off the reservoir and force fluid back through the slave and up to the master.

You didn't mention what year your bike was. If it a 2001 to 2005 RFS motor bike I have a couple of PDF's which might be useful. Let me know and I'll PM you with a link to download them.

Also, go over to KTMTalk.com --- free to join with lots of info.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56

AugustFalcon screwed with this post 04-13-2009 at 06:45 PM
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,057
You can get Magura blood (mineral oil) or go to any drug store & get mineral oil, I have the same system on my Husky & use Mobil I synthetic AFT fluid.
You can get a child's medicinal syringe at any drug store (usually free) & some clear fuel line to make a back bleeding system, works great
Others have mentioned going to a vet & getting an animal medicine feeding syringe ( guess it's larger)

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,465
Magura make a kit with syringe and oil and a fitting for bleeding and a neat sticker... OH yea and directions...

Its 16.00 here...http://store.ktmtwins.com/m0720568.html while you are ordering might think about a lever piston rebuild kit as well... and do it all..including the o-ring on the piston as well.. that way you know ... and dont chase the leak like I did... after about 2 o-rings the wall for the piston wears out as well...

just my experience
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 09:01 AM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,206
Magura Blood gives a little better feel IMO because it is very viscous. Baby oil is too thick.
Get a syringe and bleed from the bottom. It turns a mess of a job into a 5 minute simple operation.

I think the syringe kit is called an EZ Bleeder.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
The local KTM shop told me to use 5W fork oil in the clutch. They said they do it all the time.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
I would use what the people that made it say to use,look in the manual,a small bottle of magura hydraulic mineral oil will last you a lifetime.Not fork oil.Not trans oil. not motor oil. Theres a small chance it can develop a leak and leak into your transmission or motor, thats why they say to use the right stuff.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Cummo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
I would use what the people that made it say to use,look in the manual,a small bottle of magura hydraulic mineral oil will last you a lifetime.Not fork oil.Not trans oil. not motor oil. Theres a small chance it can develop a leak and leak into your transmission or motor, thats why they say to use the right stuff.
Last a lifetime.....I find Magura Blood boils quite often when you work a large clutch quite hard. KTM factory have come up with another oil for the clutch to replace Magura Blood to solve this. The Blood will also blacken and become quite sludgy after around 5K kms, suggest you clean and replace often if you ride hard kms.

Now if I could just get my hands on some! I am sick of oil all over the inside of the hand guards.
Cummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
XRider OP
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,264
Thanks for the input guys. The bike is a 2003 for those wondering. I went with a bottle of Magura 10w hydrolic oil for $8. Back bled it with my squeeze pump, it's a runner. Used about 4 tablespoons of oil, what to do with the rest of the bottle.....

Thanks again, the pumpkin bike is back on the road.

P.S. What is up with the orange and black color scheme? Is it always Holloween in Austria?
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #11
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
1st ride into work this spring and the clutch felt soft. I was forced to turn around and limp home. The master cyl was low on oil. Called my local KTM dealer for some mineral oil... but was put on hold and was disconnected. Dropped by a BMW dealer and purchased some mineral oil from them. So far every thing is working OK. I bled the system as you would a brake system....using a teaspoon to refill the master cyl as the oil level dropped.

While I used mineral oil the attached service manual page says to use Hydraulic SAE 10 oil. I'm really not sure why the difference. Maybe someone can chime in and educate us.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,206
If your master was low, it's going somewhere. I would be ready to buy a slave in the near future.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
If your master was low, it's going somewhere. I would be ready to buy a slave in the near future.
The master doesn't hold much to begin with.

I prefer option number 2. Its time for a Rekluse Auto Clutch.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Magura and Shimano bicycle brakes also use the same type of thin mineral oil. I would not use anything other than mineral oil as they have enough problems with Slave Cyl seals as it is. If you don't have a ktm dealer handy, snag some at a bicycle shop:)

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
Slow Lane
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I bought the Magura bleed kit - worked fine to get the bike running but its in the shop for a new slave as it continued to leak. Do other riders leave the Magura bleed nipple on the bike (that came with the kit)?

Also, there was no "neat sticker" in mine but I got the last one off the shelf and it looked a bit tampered with!
Slow Lane is offline   Reply With Quote