User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
squidhunter OP
suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer: 316
KLR shock swap

I've Googled and I've posted questions on the two big KLR forums, but no joy.

I know it's possible to swap decent forks onto a KLR, but what about a decent shock? For example: I put a 636 shock on my SV for $50 and it's MUCH better than the stock POS. Being a cheap bastard KLR owner, I dont want to fork out $500+ for a aftermarket shock. Are there any decent OEM shocks that will work on the KLR?
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,985
A couple of people have put drz400 shocks on but it requires some work to the airbox and some playing with the upper mount, I beleive it also has to be run with the reservoir to the left of the bike where it runs to the right on the drz.
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
KLR650Canuk
Rasshøl

Oddometer: 382
Cheap bastard

[
Quote:
quote=squidhunter]I've Googled and I've posted questions on the two big KLR forums, but no joy.

I know it's possible to swap decent forks onto a KLR, but what about a decent shock? For example: I put a 636 shock on my SV for $50 and it's MUCH better than the stock POS. Being a cheap bastard KLR owner, I dont want to fork out $500+ for a aftermarket shock. Are there any decent OEM shocks that will work on the KLR?
[/quote]

I changed out the stock spring with a heavy duty one from "Top Gun Motorcycles"; and not only being a cheap fix, but it works great for me when I am loaded up. (8KG spring from http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/KLR...lrsprings.html )
I am a bigger fella, and when the KLR is loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink for my annual trip up to the North (Yukon,NWT or Alaska), the ass end would sag pretty good. I had trouble getting off the bike unless it was at the absolute right angle or it would fall over the opposite side from the kickstand.
I have good things about the Moab shock, but the $$ was too much for me at the time.

"Winning a fight on a web forum is like winning a medal in the special olympics you may have won but your still a retard " - AllEuro

Iron butt to Alaska 2007
Inuvik 2008
Canol Attempt #1 2009
KLR650Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 626
I am a bigger fella, and when the KLR is loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink for my annual trip up to the North (Yukon,NWT or Alaska), the ass end would sag pretty good. I had trouble getting off the bike unless it was at the absolute right angle or it would fall over the opposite side from the kickstand.

Had this same problem with my 08 when heavily loaded for trips, cut 1/2" of my kickstand, rewelded it, problem solved.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
I made shorter links which made the rear suspension work better/ spring action stiffer and gave a 2" lift over standard.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyks
I made shorter links which made the rear suspension work better/ spring action stiffer and gave a 2" lift over standard.

That's clever thinking.

Did you record any measurements or take any pics of the pieces?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote