ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
ncfitton OP
Summit Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Oddometer: 592
LC4 footpegs

I was interested in putting Fastways on the '94 RXC but I sent photos and measurements to Fastway and they said the footpegs wont fit:

Unfortunately your frame tab is a male mount instead of female so our pegs won't work.


I am skeptical the KTM rally pegs offer much advantage, but has anyone tried them?

I think I will take the pegs to a welding shop and do a custom job, but if anyone can make other footpeg suggestions that you think will fot my application let me know. I'll post the photos for ya.

Thanks,
Nick.
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
ncfitton OP
Summit Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Oddometer: 592
frame mount

plastic calipers from a trade show :-)
Attached Images
 
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:01 PM   #3
ncfitton OP
Summit Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Oddometer: 592
peg

blah
Attached Images
 
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
ncfitton OP
Summit Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Oddometer: 592
KTM rally pegs

these look like the stockers with a weld on to lengthen them...
Attached Images
 
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
This applies to the latter 640 ADV, which I assume is the same as yours. It is based on quality input from people like Kirkmoon, but I have not gotten around to modifying my personal bike.

640 ADV has three options 1.) The best bang for the buck being the rally pegs, I have these and like them, the extra real-estate is noticable. They are cheap, but considering they are just standard pegs with an extra row of teeth welded on the O/B end, they should be. 2.) Mount the 625 SXC L/H alloy female peg mount, and run the Fastway F3 pegs. IIRC the mount alone is just shy of $60. and you will need to source the bolts locally, as the 625 bolts will not work in the 640 frame. 3.) I do not see why you could not also opt for the 625 SXC peg carrier and the 625 pegs which appear to be the wide RFS style pegs. I hope this helps.
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein

Mack screwed with this post 06-24-2004 at 04:40 PM Reason: spellin!
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #6
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
This applies to the latter 640 ADV, which I assume is the same as yours. It is based on quality input from people like Kirkmoon, but I have not gotten around to modifying my personal bike.

640 ADV has three options 1.) The best bang for the buck being the rally pegs, I have these and like them, the extra real-estate is noticable. They are cheap, but considering they are just standard pegs with an extra row of teeth welded on the O/B end, they should be. 2.) Mount the 625 SXC L/H alloy female peg mount, and run the Fastway F3 pegs. IIRC the mount alone is just shy of $60. and you will need to source the bolts locally, as the 625 bolts will not work in the 640 frame. 3.) I do not see why you could not also opt for the 625 SXC peg carrier and the 625 pegs which appear to be the wide RFS style pegs. I hope this helps.

Has anybody done this?? I looked up the part Mack mentions and it looks like it'd fit the 640 frame all right, but before I commit I'd like to see the difference between the 640 and 625 peg positions (if any). I really want the Fastway pegs since they mount lower & back a bit. I'm 6'5" and need the extra leg room.

If anybody could dredge up the 625 peg mount, I'd be happy to test it out.
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #7
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
Velocibiker, I was saving this for when I actually finished and I had tested, but with the broken leg things are way behind schedule. I will document things when I am done, so please take everything with a grain of salt as I cannot ride at present so no way to see what works, and what does not, that said:

I am 6'4", and I use my ADV more offroad then on, my approach has been three pronged. Raise the bars, via Pastrana Pro-Tapers (30-40mm) and the Sommer FLDA1 under bar mounts good for 1 5/8 inch, my seat courtesy of Boejangles should split the difference between the old and new bar height, and with the Fastway pegs in the down and back postion, the transition from sitting to standing should be a smaller one. I call it the Dakar bar stool approach, With the bar to peg distance increased almost 4 inches, and the higher seat putting me much closer to standing height.

Check out Kirkmoons quality post (here and KTMtalk) for info on the Fastway pegs on the 950 and LC4. Ktim posted pics of the FLDA1 underbar Scotts mount. The SXC l/h alloy peg support should work with some grinding of the Fastway assy. (The bolts need to be sourced locally, as there seems to be a minor difference in the SXC and LC4 frames, IIRC.) Sorry if this does not
make sense, it has been a long day. Hope this helps. Mack

PS. If your not in a hurry I should have the SXC/Fastway combo mounted in about two weeks. My main concern is ground clearance issues, the pegs need to be high enough not to snag, and must work with the brake and shift levers at the new height. Moose is said to make a replacement KTM shift lever, that has a different angle allowing it to be indexed lower.
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
ncfitton OP
Summit Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Oddometer: 592
im still very keen to try the sxc mount and install fastway pegs but i've spent all my money and time on other bits and pieces and im working on my trailtech installation at the moment.

mack, please let us know what happens.

edit> i am worried about the peg clearance also. i would not buy the lower fastways since i will be standing mostly anyways and im not really worried about increasing the current seat to peg height.
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:02 AM   #9
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfitton
im still very keen to try the sxc mount and install fastway pegs but i've spent all my money and time on other bits and pieces and im working on my trailtech installation at the moment.

mack, please let us know what happens.

edit> i am worried about the peg clearance also. i would not buy the lower fastways since i will be standing mostly anyways and im not really worried about increasing the current seat to peg height.
I understand that, the one thing I meant to mention that I did not, was the cost of all these mods, but relative to the increased utility of the bike, I can rationalize this cost.

I will keep you guys updated, sadly my house was robbed so no digicam for a while.

The real reason I want the low pegs is for the handlebar to peg distance rather then the seat to peg distance. Even at 6ft 4in, my legs have never felt cramped, but standing for any length of time is really, really miserable for me. Hopefully this will fix the problem, because I do not know any possible way that I could extend these dimensions any further.
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:01 AM   #10
Ziegfried
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 145
I've just started to do some homework on the subject because I don't think much of the stock footpegs on my '03 Adv. The cheapest option for me is the stock footpegs on the new '04 640 Adv. They fit straight on and are way bigger, big enough to do the job. Can you get them where you are?

There is also a mob in Tasmania who make the Pivot Pegs mentioned elsewhere in the forum but you can't get them for the 640 adv yet. My KTM dealer is trying to encourage them to produce them but I don't have my hopes up. I'll give them a month or so then buy the ones for the '04 Adv if nothing happens.
Ziegfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:33 PM   #11
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist
 
Velocibiker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 1,165
Thanks for the info Mr. Mack!!!

You bought up that point of geometry (bars/pegs/seat). I, like you will also benefit from the slightly lower & back pegs. I have bar risers too, but the OEM bars. Unless it's a looooooong stretch of gnarly dirt grinding, I usually am OK. But that's my point. It's just OK. I'd be much happier if it was good to great instead of just OK. Will check out the bars after the pegs get squared away and see if that would help much. I've honestly never really been satisfied with the OEM bar bend, although height (again) was OK.

Like most of us, there are some sacrifices when it comes to toys and $$$. I think bars will have to wait for awhile. Hopefully the new pegs will help enough.

There really is a substantial size difference between the stockers and the Fastways. I'd say at least twice the surfact area!

As far as seat mods, I'm off to Bill Mayer Monday to get mine reworked.

Then my crash bars should be here (woohoo!!). My final mod of converting my signals & brake lights to LED will hopefully be followed by adding some driving lights. Oh yeah - maybe that low front fender, and the right side fan, and........
Velocibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #12
ncfitton OP
Summit Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegfried
The cheapest option for me is the stock footpegs on the new '04 640 Adv. They fit straight on and are way bigger, big enough to do the job. Can you get them where you are?
I cant lookup parts on ktmtalk for the '04 adventure probably because it is not sold in the USA. But are they just the ktm ralley pegs that i posted an image of above? or do you think they are something different?
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:19 AM   #13
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
............You bought up that point of geometry (bars/pegs/seat). I, like you will also benefit from the slightly lower & back pegs. I have bar risers too, but the OEM bars. Unless it's a looooooong stretch of gnarly dirt grinding, I usually am OK. But that's my point. It's just OK. I'd be much happier if it was good to great instead of just OK. Will check out the bars after the pegs get squared away and see if that would help much. I've honestly never really been satisfied with the OEM bar bend, although height (again) was OK.

Like most of us, there are some sacrifices when it comes to toys and $$$. I think bars will have to wait for awhile. Hopefully the new pegs will help enough.

There really is a substantial size difference between the stockers and the Fastways. I'd say at least twice the surfact area!

As far as seat mods, I'm off to Bill Mayer Monday to get mine reworked. ..........
Another option you might consider is going with the Rallye pegs and a higher seat, since you plan to do the seat anyway. The Fastways with the SXC bracket will run you around $160 or more, if you gain the leg distance through the seat, get the Pro-Taper Pastranas and stay with stock pegs or rally pegs you would be out about the same amount, as with the Fastway and SXC bracket. Just a thought. (You will need to keep an eye on cable lengths depending on how high your risers are.)
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:25 AM   #14
kirkmoon
Making up for lost youth
 
kirkmoon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 8,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfitton
I cant lookup parts on ktmtalk for the '04 adventure probably because it is not sold in the USA. But are they just the ktm ralley pegs that i posted an image of above? or do you think they are something different?
You can, in fact, look up parts for the 640 Adventure on KTMTalk. Look under 2003.
__________________
Kirk Mn
kirkmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #15
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Texas USA Native Oregonian
Oddometer: 3,797
I too would like to see what these 2004 pegs look like, I am a bit of a fan of the 625 pegs, not sure if they are the same as the RFS pegs, but at least they look similar being both pretty wide and pretty long.

The L/H SXC alloy peg hanger is on backorder. Updates when it shows.
__________________
Österreichische Motorräder und deutsche Autos. Wie wundervoll kann das Leben sein
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014