Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
gongnomore OP
Tetley

Oddometer: 18
NSW - VIC - TAS: aka If you can build a chair you can use a chainsaw

31 Dec 10
Left Wollongong and after three hours riding the trip went bad with a five hour wait by the side of the road near Yass at a driver reviver station (the volunteer State Emergency Services put on highway rest stops with free tea and coffee in the holidays to reduce the road toll), whilst I was there my battery decided to kill itself, not go flat but just die. My BMW roadside assist got someone to me within 90 minutes who told me it was my battery and that there was nothing in Yass that could help. The roadside assits guys rang me back on told me they would get my bike towed to Canberra but the dealer there was not open until the 04 Jan 11 and that I would just have to sit around in Canberra until they opened. Rolfe BMW just refused to open to give me the new battery, the bike and battery are still under warranty and if I wanted to do something else I would have to pay. I pointed out that I had to get to Melbourne on the 01 Jan 11 to catch the ferry and get to a wedding on the 07 Jan 11 they said Rolfe still refused to open. Roadside assist were kind enough to investigate a hire car but then realised I wouldn't be able to take it on the ferry. I wasn't happy and repeated their advertisements back to them about the adventures a bike can give you and said that if I was in Canberra I could organise a battery myself before then. They paused and went oh we hadn't thought about another battery provider, so in the end they called around and worked out that Battery World in Phillip in Canberra would do it out of hours. They still towed me back to Canberra after another 2 hr wait and 90 mins into the ACT. During the wait the tow truck driver who was really nice got lost and we went out in the SES vehicle to lead him into the driver reviver (which was pretty cool). During this time the SES guy was telling me about how he instructs chainsaw use for the SES and said "if you can build a chair you can use a chainsaw", it's just stuck with me don't know why but it's a good line. A couple on a Harley helped us get my bike on the truck and offered me accomodation in Murrumbateman near Canberra if I couldn't get anywhere. The guy from Battery World turned up five mins after getting there and almost couldn't help me due to a funny wiring setup. So after an eight hour delay I was back on the road in a state I wasn't supposed to be in. I rode for a couple of hours in the dark and pulled over at Gundagai for the night at 2200 h. It ended up being a good day though due to everyone's friendliness. The last day of the year had certainly gone out on a big note. I figure though that these kind of mishaps make the trip more memorable.

01 Jan 11
The next day feeling a bit odd not having a hangover on New Years Day I hit the road again. It was a beautiful morning and I went through Holbrook where they have a submarine by the side of the road in the middle of the country as one of its captains came from the town. I also stopped and did the tourist thing at Glenrowan where Ned Kelly was finally caught. I almost ran out of petrol during the day as I didn't realise so many petrol stations would be closed on New Years Day. In a small country town I pulled in and asked at a shop if they knew anyone who had two litres of unleaded for sale so I could make it to the next servo. The guy said he did and closed the shop and I followed him to his house and he pulled a jerrican out of his shed. He gave me more than I asked for and once again people's kindness was overwhelming. Now the new year has started eventfully as well, I was also kicking myself as the container I bought for spare petrol I actually ended up filling with wine, shame on me. On the final run into Melbourne to jump on the ferry it started to rain but eased off by the time I pulled up on the bay. My initial objective of the Spirit of Tasmania Ferry was reached. I met up with a bunch of other riders on the ferry and we compared notes, bought rounds of beer and eventually remet on the vehicle deck the next morning after a smooth crossing ready to tackle Tassie.

It's been a good trip so far and now I'm in Tasmania it's better.

gongnomore screwed with this post 01-13-2011 at 03:48 AM
gongnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
gongnomore OP
Tetley

Oddometer: 18
Ride Pics

Ride pics here, may have a crack at narrative tomorrow:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=8e50f0f827
gongnomore is offline   Reply With Quote