Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #31
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Great report and fine photos.......the route from Insurgentes to San Ignacio is a little tough and could be confusing since there are a lot of direction changes and depending on which route you take deep sand with some silt. But you look like a big boy that could handle that, especially if you did the prior sand riding on Compadre Trail, Coco's road etc.
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #32
hazard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I bypass Loreto proper, stop in Mulege for a drink out at the end of the river/canal on the beach, also got a sticker for my side case. Then blast twoards San Ignacio.
As I head towards San Ignacio, and pass the large Volcano, its starts to get real hot again, 101. The GS is chewing up the road, the camelback is keeping me hydrating, XM raido is in my ears and I'm having a great ride.

AS your driving along, your in very dry desert, then you come to this oasis, San Ignacio.

Underwater springs or some such allow this lush little environment.

As stated in my last I got advice on where to stay, from some folks outside Loreto.

The outside of the guest house:

Inside the walled courtyard. My room:

It was kind of nice to stay here as it has been hotel/motel for almost 10 days. SO the other 3 guest plus the owner, a middle aged lady from San Francisco, sat out on the deck and chatted then went to dinner as it cooled. The other guest was an ex-pat American and his wife, plus friend. He owns a very nice ranch, from the description, east of La Paz, with Pacific frontage. In fact he said it was owned by a former Mayor of La Paz. Just his driveway is 12 miles long. Anyway he was full good information, about where to go and stay, one of which I took him up about where to stay in San Quitine.

Be warned though the room was very small, just a toilet and wash basin no shower in the room. Although there was a bathing room next door. I enjoyed my stay but not sure I would stay here again.

MOre pics:

The Mission:

DInner and then B'fast the next day.

\

As I get ready to leave, I see this pack of dogs, and they seem to be having a good time. WHile I kind of enjoyed being a bit of a lone wolf on this trip I though last nights company was nice, and I would not mind having a bit of a pack to run with myself around now.

Well little did I know by mid morning, I would starting running with these 2 wild animals for the next 3 days.

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #33
hazard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2 new friends

Meet John:

Wily adventure. Among other things in the early 90's quit his job, sold his house and backpacked around the world for a year and half, including Africa and the middle east ( he was waiting in Jordan for his visa to Bagdad when Iraq invaded Kuwait).

John had planned a nice Copper Canyon run with 4 other friends. Apparently when it came time to go, none of his buddies could pry their testicles out of cold storage where their wifes, gf's, mother or other female inflluences in the lives seem to have them stored. Guess they drank the Kool-aid on the whole if you go to Mexico, you'll be dead.

Meet Ralf

A German living in Switzerland, who at the last minute jumped on a plane to join John for 9 days of Mexico riding. Seems Ralf's balls are right where they belong. John had a 2nd BMW 650 that he was selling so he let Ralf borrow it.

So how did I end up scavenging trhough a Mexican roadside clam/scallop grabage pile?

Leaving San Ignacio, I come up to a Military checkpoint and am waiting behind about 10 cars. (Now I know most of the time bikes can kind of dodge there way up to the front, but the last one the guy with the machine gun in hand got real upset..) Anyway about 5 minutes into it these to come up on a couple BMW 650's. They want to cut up, I tell them what happened last time and so they wait with me. During the 15 mintues or so it took we hit it off.
John and Ralf and just come over on the Ferry from Guyamos that AM, and were eating B'fast in San Ignacio. They were talking about the Copper Canyon and it sounded like a blast. At one point they were so exhausted in the CC that they could not walk. Stories about riding the bikes through the living room of a guest house, at the owners suggestion, to park the bikes in the back....

I ask if they mind if I ride with them for a bit, and they say its OK, although there plan is Bahia LA. So I blow off Scoprian Bay, Tortugas, and ride with them.

The whole clam sheel thing: John has been to Baja a lot since he was very young. They use to pick up these clam shells take them home, wire brush them, seal them and they make a nice little souvineer. The orange tinted ones turn out the nicest. Ralf wanted a unique gift for his daughter. SO he has his shells, and pics of him routing through a roadside dump to find them.

We head to Gurrero Negro, then to Bay of LA. They wanted to find a place with a pool, drink a few beers, and get some good fish. I'm game, even though I was there ealier on the trip.

We stay here, Bar, Pool, Restaraunt.

Secure bike parking (note the screen on Johns Bike, took a bit of a dump in the copper canyon.

We start drinking around 3:00 PM. John and Ralf go talk to a fisherman who just came in the motels parking lot, who turns out to be the hotel chef. He caught some nice fish, and they convince him to make us dinner with the fish, it was fricking fantastic.

Next beer, lots of beer and cigars on the patio....

Good times

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #34
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Where's the rest?

Hey John: This is John from the ride. Where are the rest of the photos. Remember...I'm never running for congress so go ahead and post all the good ones. Later
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #35
dirtdadx
Noob ad Infinitum

Oddometer: 483
Yeah, but I am thinking of buying John's silver bike, so don't post any pics that make it look bad.
dirtdadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #36
hazard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dirtdadx,

Ralf treated that bike very nicely. If he he makes it to SF, I would not think twice about letting him take either my K1200GT or GSA out for a week.

John,

More pix coming. The one with the girls would get me banned......

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
Old 05-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #37
hazard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bummin Around Bay of LA and Some Cave Paintings.

We consumed a bunch of beer the previous night.

SO the plan for the today was to hire the cook/fisherman to take us to the Volcanic Island of the Bay of LA, and hike to the top, then take off and spend the night in Catavania. The wind started blowing like crazy and did not let up till noon the next day. By then we just decide to head north.

Pics around Bay of LA:

Hotel with self parking.

Museum was not open but there was some art outside:

Art:

Ralf and the art:

Time to Leave Bay of LA

This always seems like it will be a good picture in theory, but I think the ground stretches to long in front of the Bay, I dunno.

Me next to some giant cacti, Dr. Seuss plants.

We pulled over here to adjust the chain on one of the bikes, the intersection of Mex 1 and the road to Coco's Gonzaga and San Felipe.

We decide not to stay in Catavania. But we stopped to see some cave paintings. If your coming from the North its the first arroyo before town with the palm trees and such.

Park bikes near funny cactus, about 200yards off the road:

Climb up to sign near cactus at the top of the picture.

Crawl in here:

Take pics. (SUpposedly many thousands of years old)

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #38
Jellybird03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
rest stop recommendations?

Hazard: Great ride report. Since I'm doing this SAME trip in two weeks, I wanted to ask you if there were any spots in Baja where you wish you would/could have spent more time? Unfortunately, I'll only have 7 days out of the office, two of which will be burned just getting to and from SD, and I would like to maximize my time while there.

Thanks!
Jellybird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #39
hazard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The whole idea behind my trip was to see a lot to plan for other trips, and to say "I drove to the tip of the pennisula"

So here is what I think, I wanna go back next year but will not be able to dedicate 2 weeks.

Places I did not see but want to see

Scorpion Bay.
Mikes Sky Ranch.
Tortugas.
San Fracisquito
Some of the Area between Loreto And Scorpion Bay.
Whale Watching wherever, Laguna San Ignaico? Guerro Negro (the town itself is pretty ugly)?
Camping on Conception Bay.
The hot tub place stickfigure stay his first night, find his thread, "How I tried to kill...."

Places I drove through I might want to stay a night but did not

Mulege.
Todos Santos, to far south for a short trip.
Cabo Pluma, but only to dive and its far south.
Santa Rosalia (I think thats it, although most say its not worth much)
COcos, in an odd way if it was late one of those campers. Talk to the guy.
Alfonsinas, aka Gonzaga Bay.

Here is my input on the towns I was in:

San Felipe. Seems like it could be fun on a weekend and a race or some event was happening. But basically a tacky tourist town with lots of Bars. I was there a monday.

Bay Of LA. If I wanted to go fishing, and maybe go to the island and hike. Its kind of a bigger slightly more rundown Gonzanga Bay.

Lorreto. Seems like it could be fun, not much was happening on a Wednesday. Seems like there is some history here, original capitol of all California. NIce beaches near by. I could see maybe making this a base camp for a couple days and exploring some area around it. Fishing. Beaches, some of the mountains inland

LaPaz, 2 days was enough, I was tired. To far south.

Cabo, only if I came back and played stupid tourist on a plane.

Port San Carlos. Saw all I needed to see in about 2 minutes.

San Ignacio. COuld explore a touch more around here, but was not that big of a place. Kind of a mission town.

San Quintine. Not the town but the old mill inn seems like a nice place to go fishing for a day or 2.

Not sure this answers your question.

With 7 days I think you could kind of keep on the move a bit see some stuff and then plan your next trip. I would not try to get down much below Loreto with 7 days.

SOme of this also depends on how much dirt your doing and how much highway.

I'm also thinking the next time I go and staying between San Felipe and say San Ignacio, and just take more time in the central to southern part of the northern half (confused?) of the peninsula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybird03
Hazard: Great ride report. Since I'm doing this SAME trip in two weeks, I wanted to ask you if there were any spots in Baja where you wish you would/could have spent more time? Unfortunately, I'll only have 7 days out of the office, two of which will be burned just getting to and from SD, and I would like to maximize my time while there.

Thanks!

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
Old 01-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #40
MOTOSOTO
Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer: 470
---cool ride report and great running into you in San Francisquito!

Steven David Soto

末末末末末末末末末末末末

MOTOSOTO is offline   Reply With Quote