User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Ron B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Riding On Blood Thinners

Drat. It looks like I will be on blood thinners like Coumadin for the rest of my life, so I'm curious if any forum members take them. I fully realize that the risk when riding is enhanced when taking these meds. I've no intention of giving up riding, so I welcome any thoughts and advise.
Ron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
Hacksaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B
Drat. It looks like I will be on blood thinners like Coumadin for the rest of my life, so I'm curious if any forum members take them. I fully realize that the risk when riding is enhanced when taking these meds. I've no intention of giving up riding, so I welcome any thoughts and advise.
I've got a friend of mine that is in the same boat. His Doctor told him he would have to give up riding. So he changed Doctors. He's still on blood thinners and he's still riding.
Matthew 22:37-39
Jesus replied: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself."

http://hacksaw.smugmug.com/
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,744
One real important thing to watch out for:

My uncle was on cumodin for years with no problems. He was scheduled for a colonoscopy, so he was advised to get off of it for a few days to avoid the risk of internal bleeding during the procedure. He had a mild stroke the first night, and was admitted into the hospital for observation, where he had a massive stroke the second night. He hung on for a miserable year, unable to even talk. This is hard to believe, but it just happened two years ago. I am not meaning to scare anybody, but this stuff is dangerous, but has risk/rewards.
Be careful, and good luck.

Gordy
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #4
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
coumadin?

I am a fully insulin dependent diabetic and my best riding buddy is being treated presently for prostate cancer that has metasti.. metasta.... spread to the neck of his bladder. He has an open shunt to his heart under his armpit they use to drip the bag o' chemo in every week. (btw , he's kicking cancer's sorry ass). Between the two of us we have calculated that we take every known pill including drugs that thin the blood like coumadin . The Physician's Desk Reference people follow us around with notepads. We ride alot and rather fast . A third buddy who follows at a slightly saner pace commented one day recently, "ya'll were really getting after it so I decided to keep up for a while until I realized I was being led through the twisties by 'Thelma and Louise'". Ride the bike, you ain't getting any younger worrying about it. Oh , another BTW he's one of my 2 friends just back from fireroad riding in NM on their new GS's. Now that's one lucky cancer patient.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
EricFoerster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Ron,

Only advice I can give is to get a brite colored sticker for your helmet that would point to, or show medical information. It should tell of the meds and that rapid blood loss/treatment is needed.

My best wishes are with you !!!!
EricFoerster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:43 AM   #6
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B
I've been riding on Coumadin since 10/03 because of atrial fibulation. I was successfully cardioverted (normal heartbeat restored) 4 weeks ago and expect to stop taking the Coumadin within 2-3 weeks.

There's no doubt it increases the risk, so ATGATT is critical. I actually had a head on accident from a left turning pickup truck while on it (its in faceplant- around mid-December or so), and the scariest thing (after last second before impact) was laying on the ground worrying about internal bleeding. Luckily (and the $1,200 of protectctive clothing I was wearing) nothing happened (becasue of that); but boy oh boy did the ER doctor rip me a new one when she found out.

I'm glad to hear that you'll continue riding. About the only things I can say to mitigate risk is be careful and make sure that you wear a medical bracelet or necklace and carry a meds card in your wallet next to your license.

Maybe 1 other piece of advice- don't ask your doctor if its ok to ride.

good luck,
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 06:55 AM   #7
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,513
Ron,

It is so important to take your doses diligently, get those regular pro-times done & not take other meds without speaking to your MD or pharmacist. Some foods will alter the pro-time. The pharmacy gives out patient information sheets with the filled RX, read it & ask questions.

Gordy's poor uncle was proof that the stuff really works.

Roger

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 07:44 AM   #8
cbmwgs
Retired Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Yes,

I have been riding with blood thinners for 20 years. My Dr. also suggested I quit riding, and driving fast sport cars. I asked his second advice.
He recommended that I get a necklace that indicated I take blood thinners. Said the EMT would open my shirt and find the neckless and know to give me a shot that would slow the bleeding.

I do ride a little slower and I do drive a SUV now. But, that may be from getting older.

Necklace samples:
Old 06-25-2004, 08:06 AM   #9
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,269
What's the point of all this life-saving treatment if the life you are saving isn't worth living? I've taken Coumadin since 1994, INR 2.5-3.5 for an artificial heart valve. The doctors unanimously said, "get rid of the bikes...and don't ride in Mexico". Of course, they are right and I take it a lot easier than I once did. But I hate to think of the pleasures missed if I had hung up the bike 10 years ago. Carry your Med-alert bracelet/paperwork, let you riding partners know that there are additional risks, and I would probably pass on the road to Batopilas. Good luck! At least you can cut down on the spinach intake.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:10 AM   #10
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
My uncle ........................, and good luck.

Gordy
Shit, Gordy

If I post for any medical advice....Could ya please not respond
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgulledge
... and I would probably pass on the road to Batopilas.
that's easy to say once you've got it under your belt
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 06:05 AM   #12
hardybaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Mi amigos,

Hal, we 're going to chuckle about that ride to Batopilas for years to come. Now the next time we make that ride, you on the much lighter F650, not only do we have to stop at Frit's place, but"Urique". Now that would be a ride!!! Maybe this Fall??? Hardy
hardybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 06:39 AM   #13
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybaker
Maybe this Fall??? Hardy

Hi Hardy.

Looks like the Horizons Unlimited Event is scheduled for October at the same place we stayed last year, have you or Hal ever attended one of these?
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 07:43 AM   #14
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Well since it is in Creel, where all those nice paved sweepers abound, how about agreeing to take road bikes?

OK, OK, it was just a thought.

No riding for me duringvJune, July, August, September, Hmmm, maybe I am thinking I will be a little risk averse come October.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #15
porterfish
Debaser

Oddometer: 2,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmw1150
He recommended that I get a necklace that indicated I take blood thinners. Said the EMT would open my shirt and find the neckless and know to give me a shot that would slow the bleeding.

Necklace samples:

hey, sorry to tell you this but your doc doesnt know anything about medicine outside his office. The EMT's(and more importantly paramedics who have the drugs) DO NOT have a shot that slows or stops the bleeding. The necklace is still a good idea but only so the blam-bo-lance guys know that you were compromised before the accident. Trauma and blood thinners are not pretty but it is definately better than strokin out due to clots forming in your atria, I assume you are an a-fibber as you did'nt mention a recent heart attack. Good luck.
porterfish is offline   Reply With Quote