Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I just got the 600 mile break-in service done today. Should I keep varying the throttle opening for a while? Or can I just forget about the break-in business and ride it like I stole it? Since I hit 600 miles? Opinions?
I did that service yesterday, and asked the same question to the chief mechanic, who is also a 800GS owner.

He told me the break in is not completed until about 3000Km (1800Mile)
So by his recmendation, if you want to get a perfect polished engine, for the next 600 mile you should run it until 5000 RPM, ocasionaly reach 5500RPM downhill or on straights
1200 -1800 Miles go for 5500RPM ocasionaly reach 6500RPM
After this, with 1800miles your free to push it!

It's amazing how dealers/mechanics over difrent country's say difrrent things, if some of you guys were told to push it hard since day one!

I guess i'll try and stick with the plan!
But the dark side is Sooooooooooooo strong!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #17
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee
I did that service yesterday, and asked the same question to the chief mechanic, who is also a 800GS owner.

He told me the break in is not completed until about 3000Km (1800Mile)
So by his recmendation, if you want to get a perfect polished engine, for the next 600 mile you should run it until 5000 RPM, ocasionaly reach 5500RPM downhill or on straights
1200 -1800 Miles go for 5500RPM ocasionaly reach 6500RPM
After this, with 1800miles your free to push it!

It's amazing how dealers/mechanics over difrent country's say difrrent things, if some of you guys were told to push it hard since day one!

I guess i'll try and stick with the plan!
But the dark side is Sooooooooooooo strong!

All dealers will tell you to break it in according to BMW plan.
The 'ride it as you stole it' procedure is very logical if you follow the arguments, however very politically incorrect, for companies to recommend to consumers for 2 reasons.

1) people will die. Imagine a newbie on a fireblade riding it like he stole it for breaking it in.
2) Its a lot more involved process than the rpm limitations vs miles the manual suggests. You need to warm up well, ride for short 20 min bursts, then change oil and let your engine cool down completely. You have to do that a few times before you are ready, and I'm not even mentioning all the details the experts say.

Therefore, the company prefers to let you wait for a much longer time and take it easy in the meantime.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
The 'ride it as you stole it' procedure is very logical....
And in fact, doesn't actually suggest you "ride it like you stole it". It flows as a meticulous application of load, thermally and...err...throttle-ally.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #19
skamikazee
Noviço

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
All dealers will tell you to break it in according to BMW plan.
The 'ride it as you stole it' procedure is very logical if you follow the arguments, however very politically incorrect, for companies to recommend to consumers for 2 reasons.
----

Therefore, the company prefers to let you wait for a much longer time and take it easy in the meantime.
So you'r saying that now after the 600 miles service it's ok to rie it beastly style
All that crap he said i should do until 1800 miles is just BS? So it would be politically correct?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #20
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamikazee
So you'r saying that now after the 600 miles service it's ok to rie it beastly style
All that crap he said i should do until 1800 miles is just BS? So it would be politically correct?
The main argument for hard breaking in, is for the piston rings to sit properly, which they only do after high loads. I would flog it if I were you, for about half an hour with frequent shifting, to red line and back, in short bursts, then I would change oil and filter, and consider my bike broken in.
Google 'motoman break in secrets' for some arguments this side of the fence.

mousitsas screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 03:51 AM
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
1000k Today!

I just had my 1000k running-in check done today. Nothing exceptional to report. No recalls, and no bulletins

They changed the oil and filter, and did their checks. One funny thing that I noticed was that they didn't put it on the computer.

I asked the mechanic about changing options for the alarm, but he clearly did know about it

Anyone know if the GS-911 will change alarm options?

I can really feel the bike starting to come alive. I don't know if it is a real feeling or if I am just not babying it anymore, but now it is time to have some fun

The check was $155.67 CDN, and they charged 1.1 hrs labor.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #22
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
I asked the mechanic about changing options for the alarm, but he clearly did know about it

Anyone know if the GS-911 will change alarm options? No it will not, yet!
I spent 30mins with the mechanic at Atlantic Motoplex and he showed me the GT1 and went over the options I wanted and changed the alarm. I'm sure the GS911 will come out with it in the future but not yet. Might be something to request....

On the Break in topic, I am breaking mine in like I ride it and I have had it up to almost redline in pretty much every gear as the engine needs to be loaded up for proper breakin. I believe the 1st 100 miles or there abouts is the most inportant for breakin. You MUST load and unload the engine during this period for the most power potential from the engine. Change the oil and filter then, again at 1000kms and then regular intervals according to what you believe in. I believe oil is cheap insurance for a motorcycle and I change it more often then most. I'm at 400 Kms now and the engine is strong and will only get better. If you labour the engine and don't rev the engine most of the time during its life span and then later on rev the shit out of it you could do some damage to the engine as it isn't use to revving near redline and putting stess on the engine it's not accustom too. It's like never working out all your life and then hittin the gym hard or just walking most of the time and then putting stress on your heart by running fast. Your heart isn't going to respond well to that stress and may break!!!
If your body is use to being stressed from time to time then no biggie!

That' s my take on it as weird as it may sound....

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #23
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96KLR650
If you labour the engine and don't rev the engine most of the time during its life span and then later on rev the shit out of it you could do some damage to the engine as it isn't use to revving near redline and putting stess on the engine it's not accustom too.
Not exactly.

If you never went above 3k rpms for 50k miles, then whacked redline a couple times, I'm pretty sure your bike isn't going to burst into flames.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #24
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Not exactly.

If you never went above 3k rpms for 50k miles, then whacked redline a couple times, I'm pretty sure your bike isn't going to burst into flames.
Have you tried it??? I doubt it very much. If you put 50,000 miles on a bike at 3000rpm and held it wide open for not just a couple of times but sustained WOT you may be surprised at the outcome...Grenade!!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 AM   #25
twinjet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
fwiw

Ever wonder why factory race bikes don't need a 600 or 1800 mile break in time to achieve full power?
It's because they get built precisely one at a time by master mechanics.
Production bikes on the other hand are mass produced by assemblers and while some are assembled very well, most are not assembled to the same level of quality and precision that the race bikes are. So what's a manufacturer to do? They specify a longer "break-in" so that parts that may fall at the wrong end of their mfg. tolerances have a chance to wear in to each other and if a horrible assembly error happened, the gradual increase in stress (slowly increasing speed and load as mileage goes up) will give the new owner a chance to report the problem before the engine hand grenades.
twinjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #26
Steffo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
This is a good read.
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 05-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #27
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96KLR650
Have you tried it??? I doubt it very much. If you put 50,000 miles on a bike at 3000rpm and held it wide open for not just a couple of times but sustained WOT you may be surprised at the outcome...Grenade!!
It would probably run just fine. We're talking about subtleties of break-in in this thread, strategies for getting the absolute best power, the longest engine life, and the lowest oil consumption. The idea that not following some regimen exposed by whomever will cause your engine to "grenade" is ridiculous.

As anyone who has rented cars their entire lives (which receive no special break-in whatsoever) without a single one "grenading" will tell you, 95% of engines will break-in exactly the same no matter what you do. The other 5% probably would benefit in slightly better running and lower oil consumption from not being overheated, being warmed up reasonably, not being lugged, seeing a range of loads, getting an early oil change, etc., but overall, new engines are extremely tolerant of all kinds of break-in strategies. If you are worried about it, I'd go for the middle ground - don't beat on it, but don't baby it either. Probably the most important thing is to avoid idling and keep it out of heavy traffic.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #28
morrisw7
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Bluhduh broke mine right and proper... but it still blew up!!

Hi... I ran mine as per dealer info, sub 5k varying the rev range.... however it still went bang!! mine died almost instantly... 1 year old almost to the day - 5400miles on the clock!
filled up with juice, 26 miles b4 hand, sounded fine... 25 miles later started to loose power, wouldn't rev past 5k.. started to sound like a bag of nails being rattled .. pulled over - oil light blinking on idle.. got recovered to home from oxford to mk.

Had a great ride that weekend though, popped to a mate's in Somerset took the long way home,, nearly hit Southampton with the diversion I took to get home & kerbang, clatter, rattle... thank god for the SV1000 hiding in the garage! better change the insurance to more than 2k a year I think....

3 wks later still waiting for the dealer to tell me what went wrong.... unhappy GS rider who thinks maybe 10 yrs trouble free years with Suzuki was a good omen!!

morrisw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #29
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjet
Ever wonder why factory race bikes don't need a 600 or 1800 mile break in time to achieve full power?
Is it just me, or don't factory race engines get rebuilt way more often?
Old 05-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #30
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Thumb 1000km

100km done at MotoInter in Montreal.
1.5 hours , 191$ tax in.
Redline here we come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
Is it just me, or don't factory race engines get rebuilt way more often?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote