Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
thanks tom. that's cooler than a virtual dice simulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
Guys:

Here is the link to the Greasemonkey add in. It does not work for Apples. But does work for IE and Firefox. I use Firefox and it rocks. Just follow the instructions. Look at the links in the sig line of his post.

Links to the original post by Tbolt is: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...97&postcount=8

It is really the coolest thing to use when needed as it eliminates ALL replies but the original poster's entries. Meant for trip reports but works great everywhere.

Tom
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,742
Brings to mind a real philosophical conundrum...........how much do we really want to know, vs. how much do we really want to laugh, snicker and smile while we search for what it is we really want to know.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #18
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
The Deal

I just completed post #3 to show all of the details of the deal. It was a empty placeholder until now.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota
Nice looking moto! Reminds me of mine
I did a fly-n-ride for mine almost exactly a year ago. Bought in CA and rode back to KS. Besides a new rotor, have not had to do much. Fitting new panniers and shocks for the season. Congrats!
Roma:

Man, our bikes are just about twins.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
yeah, that means you haven't bought enough farkles.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #21
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
yeah, that means you haven't bought enough farkles.
Well, it has started. Not a farkle but.... Placed an ad on IBMWR seeking a right side pannier rack for my bike. Mine was mangled by the PO and then more or less straightened out. But on the way home I used tie downs on the rear and tightened them to the pannier racks on both sides as I've done before on many bikes. The left side rack was fine after the ride home but the right side one bent out like a pretzel. Meaning the rack was really weakened.

After getting about 5 spam emails from the UK offering me the parts... A seller in my own state offered a set of both left and right for $100. Used, not cosmetic pretty, but not bent. I took the deal. A friend of mine who is out enjoying the good life in Moab right now is going to swing by Grand Junction and pick them up on the way back.

I'm not gonna toss my racks, but instead will consider having it repaired. I asked a friend who said welding these racks to fix my kind of problem is not the best way. Suggested "brazing" it, or replacing the entire top piece with a new piece of metal. Thoughts?

Here's what the right side rack looked like when I got the bike. You can see the big deformation at the top center:

Here's what my rack looked like after I got home. Hard to tell unless you look close but the rack at the rear is sticking out at least 4-6".

I welcome input on best way to fix the rack.

Tom
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #22
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Bike Build Date By Vin Decoder

Spent a minute this morning to see when my bike was actually built. If this VIN calculator is correct then it was March 1981. So my bike is about the middle of the pack for the first US year of the G/S. I entered the lasy 7 digits of my VIN at the top and the decoder spits out the rest. This then drives you right into the correct parts fiches for your bike.

I know there are some other sites where they give VIN ranges but don't know what they are. If you want to use this page you can start at this link: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Tom
Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #23
no5s
Terror at 2 mph

Oddometer: 334
Pd

Beautiful bike. On the rack, cut out mangled tubing a little before the radius. Cut a piece of tube or round stock to fit inside the tube to add strength to the joints, install new tube. Fabricate another tube to tie the left and right racks together like the later PD's. Brazing or TIG will look best.
65 Triumph TR6 Desert Sled
65 Triumph T100SC TT Bike
no5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #24
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5s
Beautiful bike. On the rack, cut out mangled tubing a little before the radius. Cut a piece of tube or round stock to fit inside the tube to add strength to the joints, install new tube. Fabricate another tube to tie the left and right racks together like the later PD's. Brazing or TIG will look best.
Thanks. I'm going to snag the used set as I'd like to be able to have a set to use ASAP. The seller of that also has the 'crossover' piece brand new from the later racks that connects the right and left racks together. I'm getting that as well. He said it simply fastens on by a bracket to both side racks and braces them. Cool.

Do you know if the tubing on the racks is solid steel or is it indeed just a hollow tube? My guess is hollow tube. I'll get the old racks off and try to find a good local welder who can make it right. Then either keep or sell that other set.

Tom
Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
CaribouCases
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Thanks. I'm going to snag the used set as I'd like to be able to have a set to use ASAP. The seller of that also has the 'crossover' piece brand new from the later racks that connects the right and left racks together. I'm getting that as well. He said it simply fastens on by a bracket to both side racks and braces them. Cool.

Do you know if the tubing on the racks is solid steel or is it indeed just a hollow tube? My guess is hollow tube. I'll get the old racks off and try to find a good local welder who can make it right. Then either keep or sell that other set.

Tom
Stock stuff is tubing (hollow). When you weld-in a new section, see if you can source some thicker-walled tubing (14ga). The stock stuff is 16ga. I don't have 14ga round tubing laying around or I'd send you some. TIG or MIG weld the new stuff in place (TIG will look better), grind off any big protrusions. I think I would just toss the old racks in a box and put in storage.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #26
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
Stock stuff is tubing (hollow). When you weld-in a new section, see if you can source some thicker-walled tubing (14ga). The stock stuff is 16ga. I don't have 14ga round tubing laying around or I'd send you some. TIG or MIG weld the new stuff in place (TIG will look better), grind off any big protrusions. I think I would just toss the old racks in a box and put in storage.
Roger: Good idea. I'll search the Rockies Forum for a good local welder. Get them fixed and set aside.

I am going to approach my brother (1 year older) in a few weeks about coming out to Colorado in July and going off on a one week ride together. He's a Harley guy now but would be fun to do a ride with just the two of us around Colorado. You never know when it's going to be too late.

T.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #27
CaribouCases
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Roger: Good idea. I'll search the Rockies Forum for a good local welder. Get them fixed and set aside.

I am going to approach my brother (1 year older) in a few weeks about coming out to Colorado in July and going off on a one week ride together. He's a Harley guy now but would be fun to do a ride with just the two of us around Colorado. You never know when it's going to be too late.

T.
Yeah, we need to hook up. My odometer just quit on my R80G/S so I have to fix that. I'll get my tranny back in the R100GS in May I'll be ready to go on one bike or the other, at least one of them is always running, right?

One more note on the luggage rack. I put Hepco Becker racks on both my bikes because a) I make luggage to fit H-B racks, b) they are heavier duty than the stock racks (thicker wall tubing), and c) you can still get them in 4-6 weeks lead time. My stock racks and cases are stored away in a box.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
Yeah, we need to hook up. My odometer just quit on my R80G/S so I have to fix that. I'll get my tranny back in the R100GS in May I'll be ready to go on one bike or the other, at least one of them is always running, right?

One more note on the luggage rack. I put Hepco Becker racks on both my bikes because a) I make luggage to fit H-B racks, b) they are heavier duty than the stock racks (thicker wall tubing), and c) you can still get them in 4-6 weeks lead time. My stock racks and cases are stored away in a box.
Roger: Whoa, I didn't think I could get H-B racks for a R80 G/S. I can? If so, I would definitely move in that direction and then purchase a set of your panniers. Do you have a link?

I'm always available if you'd like to ride/drive down. Am just now realizing all of the differences between a 100GS and an 80 G/S. I think my G/S forks are made of pot metal!

Tom
Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #29
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,427
Quote:
I think my G/S forks are made of pot metal!
Tom
They're stronger than the glass that your subframe is made out of. Ask me how I know. (my ST had the same subframe) Yes, HB makes racks, Jesse luggage claims to make racks for the G/S but they're really just R100GS sloppily adapted. Before you plan on carrying luggage, you may want to beef up some of the welds on your subframe.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #30
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
you may want to beef up some of the welds on your subframe.
Sorry for the hyjack! let me know if I should nuke this post Tom

I'm gonna try an mirror the HPN sub-frame reinforcement seen below... see that second strut in the rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote