Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #31
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Solo: That's fine. I'm also still intrigued by these guys at overland solutions out of the UK. I emailed today asking for prices and availability. Not gonna buy anything until I'm employed but still. Wow.

Just Dreaming...

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #32
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,574
I asked the price on these myself a year or so ago..... can't remember what is was but it was hefty!

Have you checked with the grandfather of motorcycle adventure touring?

LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #33
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,237
Overland Solutions has some really amazing stuff. The quick release panniers are the best thing I've ever seen and I've got Jesse's.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #34
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

My friend Ned (Neduro) graciously picked up my set of pannier racks in Grand Junction today. He even fronted me the money. Wow. They should arrive back home mid next week. I'll buy Ned lunch.

Is learning to weld hard? I have to admit I've always wanted to just buy a little wire-feed welder and start making stuff in my garage. Maybe a welding class at the local community college would be best? Then I could fix my own stuff when it breaks.

Tom
Old 04-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #35
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
welding is fun. i bought a wire feed mig last year. i'm slowly learning. i can make it stick together fine at the moment but nothing is pretty. a grinder is generally needed to clean things up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
My friend Ned (Neduro) graciously picked up my set of pannier racks in Grand Junction today. He even fronted me the money. Wow. They should arrive back home mid next week. I'll buy Ned lunch.

Is learning to weld hard? I have to admit I've always wanted to just buy a little wire-feed welder and start making stuff in my garage. Maybe a welding class at the local community college would be best? Then I could fix my own stuff when it breaks.

Tom
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #36
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by channelcat
you still need my springs. Best $12 you'll ever spend. On your bike. Not quite like a beer when youre thirsty, but sort of. You'll see....
Tony 'He Who Has No Farkle' Heyman
bmwthrottlesprings.com

Tastes like

As far as the cost of those overland solutions subframes, Malindi put together a pretty detailed budget for his trip and lists the price of the overland solutions subframe at $2,028.49, but that was a couple years ago. Infra, you in particular will like his budget. Very detailed. Go to his site and click on the money link on the left, then on 'costs.'

EDIT: Woops, forgot the link: http://nohorizons.net/index2.htm

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-19-2009 at 09:25 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #37
dougs650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
awesome !

Tom,

Congratulations on the find and purchase. Catching up on your threads brought back memories of my efforts to locate a G/S after falling head over heals for the R100PD. Although I am certain there are others, you and Roger are two people I am aware of that have both an early R80G/S and a later R100GS.

And yes. you do NEED the PD version of the R100

Doug...
1995 BMW R100GS
1992 BMW R100R The R/T Project
1991 BMW R100GS PD
1981 BMW R80G/S PD
dougs650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #38
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile

Tom
Tom,
welding is not hard, it just takes some patience and practice to get the right mix of current and wire feed rate, and the rate at which you lay the bead. I got a simple wire feed welder for christmas a few years ago after putting my wife through a gazillion episodes of Monster Garage and Orange County Choppers. After a bit of practice, I welded a rack for my '74 /6 and mounted a set of pelicans. Its no work of art, but it seems rock solid.

Gero
Attached Images

www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #39
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Subcribed

Subscribed
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #40
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

General Update

Not much getting done on the R80 while I try to get the R100 back together. That thing hasn't been off the bike lift in about 3 months now. My goal is to get it working soon.

Parts for the G/S like an oil filter kit, etc.. are on their way. In the meantime I just spent a bit of time cleaning the front and back wheels to make them shine. I'm not really a "cleaning" kind of guy despite my OCD but what the heck.

And can I tell you that I've found yet another disappointing thing about the G/S? The stupid thing only had 3 lug nuts not four. Man, that's weird. The G/S has nuts that go over the studs. Not at all like the GS which has what look like regular lug nuts that cover the studs so you don't see them. Not sure why they switched.

Haven't cleaned up in there at all. This is how I found it. Brake shoes look clean and maybe new. I'll measure them soon. Also need to find out the spec for the lining on the wheel hub side of things. I don't see any leaks just mud from the PO's last ride.

Tom
Old 04-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #41
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron
Tom,
welding is not hard, it just takes some patience and practice to get the right mix of current and wire feed rate, and the rate at which you lay the bead. I got a simple wire feed welder for christmas a few years ago after putting my wife through a gazillion episodes of Monster Garage and Orange County Choppers. After a bit of practice, I welded a rack for my '74 /6 and mounted a set of pelicans. Its no work of art, but it seems rock solid.

Gero
Gero:

Wow, those racks look amazing. I may just try to find a welding class and learn some concepts before I start building. The local community college has classes in the evenings. After seeing the racks from Overland are $2K+, I'm thinking I can dedicate a lot of time to trying my own with raw materials.

Tom
Old 04-23-2009, 07:44 AM   #42
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Tom,
I did this with the square tubing and stock available at Lowe's, a chop saw, grinder and the wire feed welder. In terms of material costs for the rack itself, it was maybe $100 for all the metal and bolts. I ordered the pelicans online from www.pelican-case.com - without the foam the 1520s are $99 a pop plus shipping. The 1550s are $120 a pop. Looking at the prices, I think I got the 1550s, but for some reason I have 1520 in my head...

It was a lot of fun, I finally had a good reason to use the welder, and I learned a lot in the process. I didn't take a welding class, but will consider it in the future.

Gero
www.ars-natura.com

Ze Red Baron screwed with this post 04-23-2009 at 07:51 AM
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #43
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,237
the 3 lug nut design is lighter by 1 nut

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #44
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Tach No Workie? Common Ailment? Solution?

My bike has the optional add-on tachometer that sits to the right of the main cluster. It does not work. The PO told me it did not work but I kept thinking it was something simple.

Ideas? It doesn't appear to be mechanically driven, i.e. there's no cable coming out of the engine. It does appear to be electronically driven. It even appears to move the needle just a tad once and a while.

So, either the tach itself is bad or the "sending unit" or whatever drives it is bad. Would be cool to make it work but not going to spend the $4,987 BMW wants for a new one. Wow.

I don't have a clock so I'm jealous. I'll just use my wristwatch.

Ideas? I have heard this is a common ailment.

TIA,

Tom
Old 04-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #45
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,574
My Tach works, but I won't have time to see what it's wired to for a bit... I'll check in later to see if you have this fixed!

I had a clock a an R100RS I owned a few years ago, and that stupid thing drained the (new) battery frequently....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote