Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #1366
NavyF4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
Before the tank goes on I had to install new rubber bits. There are three and BMW calls them "Distance Rubber".
Tom, you no doubt noticed the price on the PD tank knee pads - $112 for both sides.

The OEM tank set has a rubber knee pad at the point where your knee cap would contact the tank if you moved your knee forward. The area where the side of your knee would contact isn't a rubber pad - looks like a black decal.

However, Max's fiche appears to show rubber pads for both of these areas. It looks like your tank has them in both positions, too. Must have been a backfit improvement.

Since I'm in heavy for the repaint, I went ahead and ordered new pads. No idea where the decal set can be sourced, but it seems like I ran across that info some time ago and they were pricey, too. I won't need them since my tank graphics will be paint.

Anyway, I'll let you know what Ed charges me for my tank - he might give you a price break since the R&D will go into mine.

Troy
NavyF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #1367
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyF4
Tom, you no doubt noticed the price on the PD tank knee pads - $112 for both sides.

The OEM tank set has a rubber knee pad at the point where your knee cap would contact the tank if you moved your knee forward. The area where the side of your knee would contact isn't a rubber pad - looks like a black decal.

However, Max's fiche appears to show rubber pads for both of these areas. It looks like your tank has them in both positions, too. Must have been a backfit improvement.

Since I'm in heavy for the repaint, I went ahead and ordered new pads. No idea where the decal set can be sourced, but it seems like I ran across that info some time ago and they were pricey, too. I won't need them since my tank graphics will be paint.

Anyway, I'll let you know what Ed charges me for my tank - he might give you a price break since the R&D will go into mine.

Troy
Navy:

Thanks for the info. I have an aftermarket set of Gaston signature decals. I can scan them or email them to you for your painted to replicate. I got them from a guy on eBay in Israel for cheap. They look like a good copy of GR's signature. No idea on the pads but mine were applied poorly.

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #1368
hypnofonic
airhead lambrettista

Oddometer: 65
yep, i got the same one from israel, $49 for all the decals including the GR signature. here is a pic of my PD tank, my brother in law just redid all the paint work. he re-used the black pads and re-dyed them black... i really need to start a rebuild thread of my bike, but by no means will it even remotely be like Toms... again, thanks for doing this, its helping all of us who have torn our G/S apart! -andy

hypnofonic screwed with this post 05-01-2010 at 10:12 PM
hypnofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #1369
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
i really need to start a rebuild thread of my bike, but by no means will it even remotely be like Toms
Nobody's thread will ever remotely look like Tom's

that tank looks great.

We'd love to read another G/S rebuild thread! I spent a year of my life building my bike. I'm glad I've got some commentary and pics of it printed out in my photo album. I'll appreciate it when I'm 60.....if I live to be 60 that is.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #1370
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnofonic
yep, i got the same one from israel, $49 for all the decals including the GR signature. here is a pic of my PD tank, my brother in law just redid all the paint work. he re-used the black pads and re-dyed them black... i really need to start a rebuild thread of my bike, but by no means will it even remotely be like Toms... again, thanks for doing this, its helping all of us who have torn our G/S apart! -andy

Wow, wanna swap tanks? I'd love to have a tank that looked 1/2 that good. To think that Bgood has one and let it go...

No work on the bike yesterday. Mountain biking 1/2 day and then concluding new car shopping for the spouse took the rest. Maybe sometime this afternoon.

T.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #1371
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Need some pics

Guys:

Am in the process of installing the front brake line from the caliper up to the MC. I have a few shots of the area as I took it apart. Does your bike have the same sort of fasteners?

What I have is:

1. A funky bracket with the rubber grommet that goes under the lower fork boot clamp. This is where the hard metal brake line from the caliper meets the braided line.

2. At the top end is a smaller bracket that is fastened to one of the fork pinch bolts. There's a rubber grommet here as well.

That's it. Do you guys have the same sort of stuff? The parts fiche is lacking in this area.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #1372
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,645
Tom, that's just what I have and you've got the locations right.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #1373
hypnofonic
airhead lambrettista

Oddometer: 65
Yep, those are exactly as they should be Tom...

and thanks guys, i will start a thread soon. ofcourse i forgot to take a bunch of before pics when i pulled the motor apart, etc but i have enough to show some sort of progress...
hypnofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #1374
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Thanks guy. I am replacing the metal brake line piece that attaches to the caliper as mine was kinked. Do I need to use any kind of sealant where the line goes into the caliper? Or, where the metal line attaches to the flexible line? Or at the MC? I should be able to get this brake line done this week!

Tom
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #1375
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Valve Adjust and New Rocker Box Covers

Did the valve adjust this afternoon AS IT'S FRICKING SNOWING OUTSIDE today. Uggg.

Used the new "cheater" feeler gauge thingies I got from Max: A LOT easier to use than a regular feeler gauge. Got the 10, 15, and 20. Used the 15 for intake and 20 for exhaust. Manual calls for 10 on the intake so I got in just in case I ever use it. I think they're the cat's meow.

No pics of the valve adjust. I only have one on each side that needed a tiny bit of change. Ten minute job tops once the covers are off. Prior to putting the gaskets and covers back on I cleaned the surface on the heads really well. Used a Scotchbrite pad where the gasket lies and then carb cleaner on a clean white cotton patch to rub the surface down. My left cover leaked a bit all last summer so not sure why. Maybe I didn't clean the area enough.

Decided to replace both valve covers due to deep rash on the right one and I want the left just to match. Max had them in stock. Left side.

The new valve covers come with new studs included. I added a new gasket as well..

Old right side cover. Now a spare.

New stuff

Done. I think the engine is ready to start. Just need petcocks, fuel, and a rear shock and I'm ready to start.

Tom
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #1376
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
AS IT'S FRICKING SNOWING OUTSIDE today. Uggg.
There were 4 of us that road into (and then turned around and out of) that crap this afternoon. You were better off wrenching.

Once you get the G/S finished I'd love to see it in person. Along with your GS... of course.
Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 AM   #1377
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,596
Very prissy dirt? bike mate.

These stickers work for me

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #1378
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 937
Hi Tom,

This is something you might like for the nut/washer combination for the valve covers
Attached Images

Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #1379
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 937
And the other picture
Attached Images

Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #1380
timdog
a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer: 619
Hi, I just picked up a "new to me" 1981 G/S in dark blue. I just have a couple of questions.

Does anybody know if the original blue front fender is still available for an 1981 G/S? Or something in a close match, as far as color? Or am I stuck with just black or white?

Also, my speedometer is not right and reads way off. I was just going to remove it for a while and try using my GPS instead. Does the speedo drive just pull out of the transmission? And what do you recommend for plugging the hole?

Thanks in advance.
timdog is online now   Reply With Quote