Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
My experience thus far with over a dozen stalling incidents in moderate to heavy rain leads me to believe that there is a genuine problem.

Having owned over 15 bikes, I had never experienced a problem like this before.
Had I not been able to fix the stalling problem on my bike, I would have considered selling it.
IMO even a one off kind of a problem should be given immediate attention by BMW, considering the premium price you pay for admission.
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
When the FSE said torrrential, he meant torrential.

You realize that's about one shade away from calling many of us flat out liars.

My bike lost a significant amount of power, more than once, in the rain. During those periods of power loss, when brough to idle, it stalled more than once. Torrential? Sure, I guess. Heavy rain? I don't know. Rideable? Absolutely. Does it matter what you call it? I find it rather odd for you hide behind semantics given your borderline obsessive approach to certain other relatively minor issues, but I find it quite dissapointing that the engineer would do the same...assuming you're conveying his point accurately.

In my case, I was absolutely not riding in unsafe conditions. I've been in unsafe rain. I've pulled over before. I've been in unquestionably torrential rain in Florida and the Carribbean and equitorial South America, and the conditions I was experiencing on the GS in California were a far cry from any of those tropical squalls.

Quote:
He said if your bike is stalling, it's from something other than rain. Like an electrical issue that the rain is exagerating or something.
I completely agree with that logic leading to a potential cause, but until BMW (or, more likely, some inmate) finds the smoking gun, I think its a bit presumptuous to call it a "closed case. Unfortunately, the only real data point I've seen (and granted, I haven't looked that much) is in the stalling thread where one dude blocked off his intake ducts and couldn't replicate the stalling.

So, by default, the score on my whiteboard is 1-0 in favor of water in the airbox.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Also, as I note, the water-stalling could very well require a fairly major redesign. If it ends up that only small percentage of riders actually experience the issue, and it doesn't affect safety or reliability, why waste the resources at BMW? Quietly engineer a solution into the next generation of 800s and call it done.
It may not be such a drastic fix, bxr140. I don't know if you've had a chance to peruse this thread over at F800Riders.org, but this guy's working theory is that it may be a gas tank venting problem that gets caused by heavy rain. If that's the case, the fix may be as simple as unkinking a vent line that got installed wrong at the factory, and not require any redesign of the air intakes or filter housing. This would explain not only the fact that not everyone is affected by the problem, but also the PUMA bulletin about gas tank venting problems. Who knows? I certainly don't. But it would certainly put to rest any inane nonsense about not riding in the rain, torrential or not.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #19
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:

You realize that's about one shade away from calling many of us flat out liars.

My bike lost a significant amount of power, more than once, in the rain. During those periods of power loss, when brough to idle, it stalled more than once. Torrential? Sure, I guess. Heavy rain? I don't know. Rideable? Absolutely. Does it matter what you call it? I find it rather odd for you hide behind semantics given your borderline obsessive approach to certain other relatively minor issues, but I find it quite dissapointing that the engineer would do the same...assuming you're conveying his point accurately.

In my case, I was absolutely not riding in unsafe conditions. I've been in unsafe rain. I've pulled over before. I've been in unquestionably torrential rain in Florida and the Carribbean and equitorial South America, and the conditions I was experiencing on the GS in California were a far cry from any of those tropical squalls.

I completely agree with that logic leading to a potential cause, but until BMW (or, more likely, some inmate) finds the smoking gun, I think its a bit presumptuous to call it a "closed case. Unfortunately, the only real data point I've seen (and granted, I haven't looked that much) is in the stalling thread where one dude blocked off his intake ducts and couldn't replicate the stalling.

So, by default, the score on my whiteboard is 1-0 in favor of water in the airbox.
Well said !
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
AbeFroman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Mine has stalled numerous times during extended trips in heavy rain, not necessarily torrential, but after a couple hours it will quit while decelerating to a stop light or something. I've experienced similar problems after riding around in creeks and rivers, nowhere deep enough to be affecting the air ducts. So I don't know, but there's something wrong. That and the poor seat are the only diminishing characteristics I've found with the bike in 8,000 miles. I haven't experienced these clunks I keep hearing about.
I do have to wonder why this engineer would be checking the water levels in an airbox if it wasn't stalling the engines.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #21
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
Look guys. I'm only posting my result here, and what I was told by a very experienced person from BMW. If you don't like what he said to me about my concerns, take it up with BMW. Don't go bitchin at me. (Especially you, bxr140)

I didn't have to post the FSE result. I thought maybe you guys would like to hear about it, being this is a forum.

The Griz screwed with this post 04-15-2009 at 07:41 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #22
Stuntman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
I'm sorry you're satisfied with being duped.
Ahh, the internetz. Where anyone with a different opinion is being duped.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #23
B2Tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
I ride in the rain too. Even in heavier rain. And the engine on my F800GS has never stalled on me, even at highway speeds. However, riding in a serious torrential downpour is not the safest thing to do in my opinion. Even in a car. I think you guys are underestimating what I and the FSE meant when we say torrential. When the FSE said torrrential, he meant torrential. Not just a shower or even a heavier shower.
I've ridden my '08 KLR through TORRENTIAL rains on more than one occasion and I've never even come close to stalling . And I'm talking about tropical, South Florida, near-zero visibility, flood-inducing, build-an-ark kind of torrential rains. I've also ridden it through 2+ miles of water that was halfway up the bike and surging up and over the cowling. It did stall once in that situation but it restarted immediately.

Just thought I'd throw that in there
Old 04-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #24
LarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
If that BMW FSE dude can fly here to San Diego I have a spare bedroom and lots of extra beer if he will look my bike over....plus I can drop him off at the largest Motorrad dealer in SoCal so he can converse or otherwise hobnob with the fools I dealt with. My fine BMW F800GS died on me in the rain (died three times in less than 2 miles). The storm I was riding in was pretty light by all measures. I took my bike to the dealer and they replaced a number of items....but refused to give me a list of what they did. Unfortunately, I live in San Diego where is rarely rains so I will have to wait for my next trip out of state to test the bike. As was pointed out earlier, some of the issues with the 800GS are not universal, however, there are some trends. Stalling, loose steering head bearings, dysfunctional gas gauge and front fork noise appear to top the list. I think we all started out very excited about this new model bike, but for people like me ...neither my bike nor the support network has lived up to expectations. It is great that some folks have had positive experiences with their bikes and dealers....for the rest of us some of the issues are getting old....I just want to ride the bike....I do not care that BMW has comfortable couches and free gourmet coffee....the Roundel is not much of a status symbol when you are sitting on the side of the road ....with your thumb out!
LarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #25
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
Don't go bitchin at me.
Right. You knew exactly what you were posting, and you got exactly the responses you wanted. So why are you complaining?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:14 AM   #26
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Just stumbled on this thread. I have a DR650. Not long after I got it new it started dying in the rain. It got worse to the point of dying riding on a wet road. I could not get it to quit in the yard dousing it with a water hose. If I took it to the dealer they would just keep it for a week letting the Techs ride it to lunch and then tell me there was nothing wrong with it.

Anyway cutting to the point, after waterproofing all the electrics with silicone and it still died in the rain. I replaced the spark plug caps with NGK's. It hasn't stalled (quit) in the rain since. And I have ridden it in torrential downpours.

Good luck, Gus
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #27
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I'm going to hold off on buying an F800 till this rain issue is resolved. If indeed the bike stalls because of the rain, then I would say this is a major issue that may be solved with a minor redesign of the air ducts.
Myself and a friend rode our F8s in torrential rain, she for 2 days until she called it quits, and me for 3 days solid, neither even hiccuped, and we where absolutely drenched. There is no rain problem from my experience.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #28
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem
Myself and a friend rode our F8s in torrential rain, she for 2 days until she called it quits, and me for 3 days solid, neither even hiccuped, and we where absolutely drenched. There is no rain problem from my experience.
No problem here either.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #29
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,646
Rain riding

No one seems to have nailed down this "rain" problem. The assumption seems to be that water in the airbox is causing it. Engines don't really have a problem injesting water. The technique is used to remove carbon buildup on cyclinder tops. You can spray a lot of water into a running engine before it stalls out even at idle. At highway speed you are pumping so much air through it you would need a garden hose to snuff it out. Is the air filter being saturated? If it was it would seem likely that the bike would not restart right away as some have said it did... Maybe the water is affecting a sensor or wiring connection. That would explain why some people have it and others don't. If we can stay away from calling each other liars and such we may be able to track down this glitch using a little logic, some common sense and a little courtesy. The fact that not everyone suffers the same problem would seem to indicate that it is not an inherent design problem but quality/assembly issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
No problem here either.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #30
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
The fact that not everyone suffers the same problem would seem to indicate that it is not an inherent design problem but quality/assembly issue.
Exactly what I said earlier. Has anyone who suffers from this problem investigated the venting scenario mentioned by the guy on f800riders.org?

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote