Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #31
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,859
Ill be removing my evap system tomorrow to eliminate that gremlen source.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 AM   #32
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Hey you guys,
Global Warming/Climate change has f****d us severely over here, so can we have some of your rain?
PS don't have a problem with the bike cutting out in TORRENTIAL rain.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #33
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike
Hey you guys,
Global Warming/Climate change has f****d us severely over here, so can we have some of your rain?
Shit yeah. Take all you want. I'm so sick of the rain here, I'm ready to open up a vein.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 08:54 AM
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #34
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Yo Mr. Griz! Thanks for all your helpful posts on the Forum.

In the first 600 miles I'd get the frontend clunk too. On my MTB I'd say it was a loose headset. The dealer "could not duplicate" but it went away now at 1800 miles or at least I havn't heard it in about a thousand miles.

Snatchy throttle here too on gravel roads and even super rough pavement like around Lake Mead / Hoover Dam; I just thought it was me as a new rider. It's like going from cruising to "Oh $hit" in 2mm of twist. There needs to be a smooth it out adjustment on that throttle. I use one of the Caterpiler O-rings for cruise control and something sort of like that but about 10% of the resistance might smooth it out some.

Sorry to hear about all the rain / stalling problems. Glad I live in Las Vegas; our total rainfall for the entire YEAR last year was 1.75 inches and the overall yearly average is about 3". Then again, when it hits 113-115 degs here this summer everything black on my bike which is 90% will be so hot that I'll get 2nd deg burns if I touch it.

PM me if any of you guys are coming out to DV / Vegas to ride.

RobStar

2010 1200GS Adventure
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM   #35
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,406
Re the snatchy throttle

After feeling like I was in a pinball machine for 4,500 miles I ran across a thread here that addressed the issue. http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...t=20868&page=2. Took all the slack out and immediately felt more resistance in the throttle which made modulating the control easier, 500 happier miles since.
In the meantime my dealer got his hands on a new throttle tube from G2 eronomics http://www.g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/Street-4-1.html that provides more precision control off idle that he wants me to try. Unfortunetly no heated grips models yet.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #36
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Yes, the F8 has an abrupt throttle response. It is not snatchy. To me snatchy means the ECU has difficulty figuring out how to meter fuel and is unpredictable. The F8 throttle response is very predictable, but it is quick off idle. I was never bothered by it because I do not grip the throttle with a full hand. If you leave one or two fingers draped over the brake lever it completely eliminates the abrupt response because you have a point of reference to "vernier" in the amount of throttle twist you want. Using a full hand it is almost impossible to modulate the throttle smoothly on an F8. When someone is having problems with the F8 throttle I know that they come mostly from a street riding background, and are not used to riding with fingers over the levers at all times.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #37
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
The bike's been great in its first 600 miles and counting.
I suppose there isn't a way to ask this without looking like an ass (but here we go ), but after reading this and your other thread about it's 600 mile service I was really suprised to see you only have 600 miles on your bike as active as you are in these forums with impressions of the bike. Is weather keeping you in? I know ,easy for me to say living where I can ride year round, but as much as I've seen your posts an concerns my guess is maybe you've got cabin fever and are way overthinking things.

Really, when you can, go out put on some miles an ride the piss outta that thing. Most of your concerns will just go away. If somebody just telling you the snatchy throttle is normal and that makes it better for you, I think a couple thousand miles could have far more effect on correcting that problem, as I don't find it much different than the response of most modern 4 stroke MXers. My bike makes wierd sounds all the time, is it a clunck? I dunno, I do get a lot of chain slap also and bombing down a rutted hill it sounds like a sherman tank, always has an still does. Sometimes the motor sounds different than others. But it keeps going. Even my suspension issues I've learned to ride around, which does me good enough until the I see a good cartridge type replacement which I'll jump on.

I'm not suggesting you ignore your issues an concerns, but maybe some more miles and good times and those things just won't matter as much to you. I know at 600 miles I had some good first impressions of the bike, but that's it , I sure hadn't developed any sense of trust or felt like I had enough experience on it to really analyze patterns to objectively.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #38
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
I suppose there isn't a way to ask this without looking like an ass (but here we go ), but after reading this and your other thread about it's 600 mile service I was really suprised to see you only have 600 miles on your bike as active as you are in these forums with impressions of the bike. Is weather keeping you in? I know ,easy for me to say living where I can ride year round, but as much as I've seen your posts an concerns my guess is maybe you've got cabin fever and are way overthinking things.

Really, when you can, go out put on some miles an ride the piss outta that thing. Most of your concerns will just go away. If somebody just telling you the snatchy throttle is normal and that makes it better for you, I think a couple thousand miles could have far more effect on correcting that problem, as I don't find it much different than the response of most modern 4 stroke MXers. My bike makes wierd sounds all the time, is it a clunck? I dunno, I do get a lot of chain slap also and bombing down a rutted hill it sounds like a sherman tank, always has an still does. Sometimes the motor sounds different than others. But it keeps going. Even my suspension issues I've learned to ride around, which does me good enough until the I see a good cartridge type replacement which I'll jump on.

I'm not suggesting you ignore your issues an concerns, but maybe some more miles and good times and those things just won't matter as much to you. I know at 600 miles I had some good first impressions of the bike, but that's it , I sure hadn't developed any sense of trust or felt like I had enough experience on it to really analyze patterns to objectively.
Right on man. I agree, I do need to put some miles on. And yes, weather was not permitting riding here for a long time in Minnesnowta. At least not for me! I'm headed out on a 3400 mile trip in June. Can't wait. And I'm riding non-stop locally here now.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #39
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

This is good stuff you guys! Thank so much!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #40
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

itsatdm, tmex: I've been getting more and more used to the throttle response of this bike. I think it's a combination of things breaking in and me getting used to it. I'll check out your provided link itsatdm.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #41
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus
Just stumbled on this thread. I have a DR650. Not long after I got it new it started dying in the rain. It got worse to the point of dying riding on a wet road. I could not get it to quit in the yard dousing it with a water hose. If I took it to the dealer they would just keep it for a week letting the Techs ride it to lunch and then tell me there was nothing wrong with it.

Anyway cutting to the point, after waterproofing all the electrics with silicone and it still died in the rain. I replaced the spark plug caps with NGK's. It hasn't stalled (quit) in the rain since. And I have ridden it in torrential downpours.

Good luck, Gus
Hmmm, bad spark plug seals. That would do it, letting water right into the combustion chamber.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #42
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Not seals. Spark.plug CAPS.it acts like a kill switch grounding the spark when it gets wet.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #43
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
Really, when you can, go out put on some miles an ride the piss outta that thing. Most of your concerns will just go away.
Agree to 100%. My F8 just gets better and better (and my 650 thumper smoothed out after 5000km┤s). So give your bikes a chance to prove them selves first. Of course i'm a bit concerned about that cutting-out-thing (happend to me twice in dry weather), but otherwise me and my bike starts to like each other more day by day, km by km.

/Lars
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #44
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus
Not seals. Spark.plug CAPS.it acts like a kill switch grounding the spark when it gets wet.
I see. Thanks for clarifying. If I ever have this issue, I will be in contact with you for sure!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #45
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet a bottle of Bombay Sapphire that the problem will eventually turn out to be something other than water in the air filter. I can't count the number of times I've tried to diagnose a problem, have gotten fixated on ONE solution, and then, after much frustration, finally come to the conclusion that it was caused by something other than the thing I was SURE was the source of the problem.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote